Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Misfiring and a brake light.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
monkeydance.gif Alrighty, so I replaced my pads and lines over the weekend. I made sure they were bled CORRECTLY 3 times. I still have the flashing red light on my dash telling me I'm having a brake failure. I can't lock up my tires (Hankook Ventus R-S2s), but that's nothing new. They're Porterfield pads if anyone cares.
Here's the thing: even after 2 hours of driving since the brake job, I'm still getting lots of smoke from the back. It's not burnt brake pads ( I KNOW that smell mueba.gif ), but maybe it's fluid? There's some sort of oil/fluid on my exhaust manifold that seems to be the cause of the smoke. ??? It doesn't quite smell like burning motor oil.... The brakes work fine so far as I know (never driven it when it could lock up tires), haven't had any fade.
Anyway, the real problem is my misfire. It's mainly in 4th and 5th. Occasionally I'll be going along and it'll feel a little lumpy. Then if I ask for more gas, I'll get a little misfire. It feels like what happens when you odn't give quite enough gas when starting in 1st. But it usually doesn't last long. The other day, when it was raining, it did it EVERY time I asked for more gas in 5th, but then mysteriously stopped. Today it was doing it off and on, and nowhere near as bad as the other day.
I have an XR700 installed. I looked for other posts with "misfire", and the TPS and MPS seemed to be common culprits. Also the wires. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Cole
r_towle
I had the exact same problem.
Its a short in the braking system...it seems to share power with the coil somewhere...

Find and fix the short, check and clean all the grounds...

Good luck hunting...

I am serious, I had exactly the same problem....wierd brake problems and skipping at normal speed....

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Apr 11 2005, 04:21 PM)
I made sure they were bled CORRECTLY 3 times. I still have the flashing red light on my dash telling me I'm having a brake failure.

you need to reset the master cylinder switch ...

all you need to do is to press it down once and the light will stop flashing!
cool.gif Andy
drgchapman
Master Cylinder switch for the brake problem. Misfire...........got one myself, bought new injectors and seals, checking trigger points.......will know in a couple of days.
wrpspddrvr
Awesome! Thanks y'all! I appreciate it! I don't get to hang out here much these days, but you guys are still the best group around!
I'll check all that stuff. If it doesn't work, cover you ears! fighting19.gif gunner.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.