Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT! Dog chilling in the pool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
I finally figured out why the dog's paws and belly are wet...

His new "favorite" place to hang out...

TimT
they aint dumb
iamchappy
Good boy Ero, whats a pool for if know ones using it. He has all day to lay around in the pool and hot tub, ahhh a dogs life. clap.gif
SpecialK
Is that fence to keep the dog in, or the gators out? unsure.gif

My dad lives in Lake Mary, says they've been having problems with gators....and bears! ohmy.gif
Qarl
My life isn't as rosey as it may appear.

What I wouldn't give to have a healthy child and wife! sad.gif
Qarl
More adorable pictures...

TimT
Qaurel,

we are with you regarding your family.. your wife and kid.. we are.

I know its hard

be well

beerchug.gif
Qarl
My adorable newphew....

Now I know why the pool keeps turning colors.... yellow and blue make green!

Meredith
Very cute! That last picture reminds me of a picture we took of my brother when we were at Disney World...it must be a Florida thing. biggrin.gif

I haven't seen a Hunter update in a while--how's he been doing? Sending good thoughts for the three of you. Take care.

-Mer
Qarl
Hunter is alright.. well sort of.

About 3 weeks ago, we had an implant placed in him for seizure control. His seizures have gotten progressively worse since he turned four. This was expected with his underlying condition and hypoxic brain injury. He has Lenox Gestaut seizure disorder... basically mixed variety of seizures that can only be controlled with a few different meds. The only other options that works sometimes is this implant device.

The implant device is called Vagal Nerve Stimulation therapy or VNS. The implant is about the size of two half-dollars stacked together. It's placed under the dermis on his left chest towards his armpit and they run a wire up under his skin to his neck and wrap an electrode around his main nerve.. the vagus nerve. You don't even notice it's there since it's under the layer of fat. The little device works like a pacemaker. It places a small electric pulse on the nervous system for a few seconds, every five minutes or so.

Surgery was 3 weeks ago and took a few hours. One night in the hospital. Came home and he was a different kid. Instead of dozens of seizures per day (some really bad), and really high heart rates (130s to 180s) and low O2 levels (averaging mid to low 80s), he was better than normal. His resting heart rate went into the 90s. His 02 levels were at 99-100 and he was really relaxed for a change.

That lasted about 10 days. Then about a week ago he was back to his old self. We thought the previous week was a fluke or something. Last Friday we went back to the neurosurgeon and he used his little computer device to check out the implant... no response... tried again... no response.

Today, we met with the engineer and rep from the medical device company and tried for about an hour to reset the device with a special magnet and computer wand.... it's friggin defective!!! Happens about 1 in 10,000. Hooray for us!!!

So next week.. he goes BACK into surgery again and has to have it replaced. Luckily (if I can even use the word luck), they just have to make an incision, unplug the electrode lead, replace the device and suture him back up. We still have an overnight stay in the hospital.

Remind me NEVER to pick lottery ticket numbers for any of you. I am cursed with bad luck!
soloracer
Awesome pictures Qarl. Ero has the same mentality as my dog Riley. Must be a german shepard thing. wink.gif I built him a 10 x 30 dog run in the winter and when it warmed up this spring he was getting all muddy. He got so used to taking baths that whenever I grabbed him by the collar he would sprint to the washroom. I finally built a cement pad for his dog house and filled the rest with washed rock. Now he comes in a little dusty but at least there's no more mud!
ken914
Qarl,

I came across your web site a few years ago (during my 4 year search for the right 914/6) and we exchanged a couple of emails. You seemed like a really nice guy then and since I have joined up with 914club you still seem like a really nice guy. There are a lot of people on this website that really care about you. Sorry to hear about the difficulties, I know that it is of little consequence, but the worst things seem to happen to the nicest people!

Best of luck with everything. We may not be in Orlando, but we are rooting for you.

Ken

xitspd
Carl, Greetings from sunny So Cal. cool.gif My lab MOMO spends more time in my pool than I do! It's a dog's life!
Meredith
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 11 2005, 07:23 PM)
So next week.. he goes BACK into surgery again and has to have it replaced.

I hope all goes well. Keep us posted?

Remind me NEVER to pick lottery ticket numbers for any of you.  I am cursed with bad luck!

I don't know about that. Your little guy beat the odds and is bringing joy to your life--I would call that incredible luck. Keep your head up.

-Mer
rhodyguy
karl, smart dog. when the hot weather hits, you might as well keep the kibble bowl poolside. how is it little boys can pee a mile? that's impressive!! smilie_pokal.gif . does hunter take Inderal to help keep his heart rate moderated? due to a somewhat recently diagnosed condition, i'm on Inderal until other factors settle down. my resting heart rate was 110bpm. i wondered why i was always tired. 15 minutes of moderate activity left me sweating and my head spinning, when it wasn't between my knees to keep from passing out.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.