Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hmm...window wont go up??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
well I guess I know what I will be doing tomarrow. Got 2 weeks till Talihina, OK. Might want to roll the windows up sometime during the trip.

I have early style window mechnisms. Does anyone know what I will be facing? The glass looks like it is sitting in the door in the proper place. When I turn the crank, the glass doesn't move, but I can tell from the resistance that the crank is turning something inside screwy.gif

guess I will find out tomarrow beer.gif
skline
The early regulators are crap, they have a pin that moves the window up and down and are replaceable. I think Pelican sells them. I would try to get some late regulators and install them with new glass and be done with it. Just my opinion.
jr91472
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 11 2005, 05:21 PM)
The early regulators are crap, they have a pin that moves the window up and down and are replaceable. I think Pelican sells them. I would try to get some late regulators and install them with new glass and be done with it. Just my opinion.

might be a good long term idea. Is the early glass compatible with the late regulator?
scotty b
agree.gif That pin has a tendency to pop out and ince it does it, it never stops! You can also put a length of wire around one bolt, across the winding channel and wrapped around the other bolt to help keep the pin in the track.
Eric_Shea
I don't think it's that easy Scott... someone correct me please.

I think the stamping on the door is way different. If not; that's the fix. Otherwise. Plan on putting in a window regulator.

skline
It may not be that easy, I have never done it, I was merely speculating. I think it is at least worth a shot. If anyone has done this, speak up here. I just know there were early 73 doors with the late regulators installed. Without seeing one, I dont know for sure if they are different or not.
TheCabinetmaker
JR, I have an early model regulator. I can bring it to Talimena with me.
TheCabinetmaker
Oh, BTW, the early glass is different on the bottom rear. has a dropped area the the late glass doesn't. Seems like the late should fit the early, but not the other way around.
jr91472
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Apr 11 2005, 06:03 PM)
JR, I have an early model regulator. I can bring it to Talimena with me.

thanks Curt!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif I will let you know what I find tomarrow.
spare time toys
Drivers side or pas?
markb
First off, the late regulater won't work in an early door without a lot of work. Plus the targe rubber at the top of the door is different. Your problem with your window is more likely to be the connection of the window to the mechanism at the back of the window. If the piece that holds the window to the rear channel has come loose, the window will keep popping out of the winder mechanism. Take the interior door panel off & check it. If it's come loose, go to a windshield shop & have them put some of their really good stickum on the piece at the back of the window, to make sure it stays in place. Tha'ts what I did with my 72, and it hasn't popped out since.
jr91472
so here is what I found.....may have gotten lucky

there was a metal tab that had pulled out of the slider piece which connects to the window. the photo shows after I re-inserted the tab. Snapped back in real firm like and all seems to work fine now, so maybe I dodged a bullet.

Interesting that I have had this panel off hundreds of times, but never noticed that this door (pax) used to be orange. The original color of the rest of the car is red.

things that make you go hmmm..... dry.gif
markb
That's where it pops off of. Now, what's making it pop off? Have you lubed the mechanism well? Did you look at the rear edge of the window to make sure it's got the piece that holds it in the slot? Is it staying in the slot when you move the window up & down? Make sure you have fixed the cause, or it's gonna pop out again. Believe me, I took my drivers' door panel off a bunch of times before I got the actual problem fixed.
jr91472
QUOTE (markb @ Apr 12 2005, 07:28 AM)
That's where it pops off of. Now, what's making it pop off? Have you lubed the mechanism well? Did you look at the rear edge of the window to make sure it's got the piece that holds it in the slot? Is it staying in the slot when you move the window up & down? Make sure you have fixed the cause, or it's gonna pop out again. Believe me, I took my drivers' door panel off a bunch of times before I got the actual problem fixed.

Thanks for the tip; and yes, I lubed all the tracks with silicone.

For some reason, the window sits fairly loose in the slots. When the window is all the way up, you can shift it in place (like if you lift on the rear edge of the glass it kinda of twist in place). I am not exactly sure why because it looks like all the pieces are in place (including the rear guide). I DO know that the drivers side window is very secure and doesn't move at all.

So I suspect that the pax got somewhat cockeyed and my daughter forced the window up/down the other day. confused24.gif

will have to keep an eye on it for sure.
sj914
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Apr 12 2005, 08:02 AM)
[QUOTE=markb,Apr 12 2005, 07:28 AM]
For some reason, the window sits fairly loose in the slots. When the window is all the way up, you can shift it in place (like if you lift on the rear edge of the glass it kinda of twist in place). I am not exactly sure why because it looks like all the pieces are in place (including the rear guide). I DO know that the drivers side window is very secure and doesn't move at all.

So I suspect that the pax got somewhat cockeyed and my daughter forced the window up/down the other day. confused24.gif

will have to keep an eye on it for sure.

iirc the early window had little rollers on the edge that runs along the chrome channel, if the rollers are missing it could cause the window to move around.
Porsche Rescue
The front edge of the window has 4 little rollers, 2 on each side, that guide it up and down the front channel. Make sure they are in place or it will be loose (and stiff).
My little "clip" actually broke off, probably from old age or fighting a gummed up mechanism. When that happens, there is no fix except replacing the regulator.

edit: What sj914 said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.