Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Engine Dimensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
Okay guys. I need to know the outer dimensions of a 911 engine. The wieght would also be good. The reason I ask is that I need to transport one in a crate and need to know what car to bring with me. Thanks in advance.

Jim
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Apr 11 2005, 08:51 PM)
Okay guys. I need to know the outer dimensions of a 911 engine. The wieght would also be good. The reason I ask is that I need to transport one in a crate and need to know what car to bring with me.

can you narrow it down a little?

a '65 2,0 is a lot smaller and lighter than an '04 3,8TT

a 911 engine in a crate is not likely to fit into any 'car.' SUV, sure. it'll fit nicely (sans crate) into the back of our '97 Subaru Legacy Outback (BTDT).

figure complete engine ~400 lbs.
no muffler? lighter. no heat exchangers? lighter. no clutch and flywheel? you get the picture.

my suggestion is bring the big one and a few ratchet tiedown straps.

in round numbers - it fills the engine bay of a 914...
Gint
agree.gif Tin, no tin, year, displacement, what?

Got a 70 914/6 motor on the stand in the garage if that will help. Lemme know and I'll throw a tape out there.

Jeroen
I have one sitting in the garage as well
But it has no tin, and no intake, exhaust or fan on it...
If you still want measurements, just shout
jd74914
Okay guys, last nite I was kinda tired and fell asleep at the computer.

Its a 2.2L and I was just wondering if it would fit in a minivan with the back seats removed, or if I have to bring the truck to get it. It complete except that is has no muffler or heat exhangers.
ArtechnikA
here's the issues i think you will face:

it's going to depend a lot on the size of the crate. how big is the crate? :-)

i have no doubt it will fit IN a minivan. after all, a minivan is bigger than a 914 and the engine fits a 914 just fine. the question is: will it fit INTO a minivan. IOW - how big are your doors?

i have a 2,2 powering my 911 but i'm not in a position to get around it with a measuring tape just now; tonight, if you don't get an answer before that. the HE's and muffler are surprisingly heavy. two reasonably fit people can lift and position a 911 engine, but i don't know how heavy your crate is, nor if it has good handholds on it.

you could probably carry a 911 longblock in a 914, standing on the flywheel. i think it'd be tough with the fan on, tho... and with a complete induction, including the factory air cleaner, it's pretty tall...
jd74914
The trunks probably around 4.5ft wide. We won't have any problems carrying it because both my Dad and I can lift alot (together we've lifted 550# cast iron stoves before). The crates not much bigger than the engine (they are a snug fit).

The car debate is because we're driving almost 7 hours to get it, and its a real pain sitting in traffic down near DC with a manual truck that eats gas.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Apr 12 2005, 03:22 PM)
The trunks probably around 4.5ft wide.

width won't be your issue. actually, the engine's kinda square. but it *is* tall, with the fan.

you might have trouble in a trunk (due to the height).

i transported one in the back of a Subaru and there was actually too much room - with a snugger fit it wouldn't have rolled around so much and i wouldn't be having to replace a tailgate panel...
jd74914
Ok. The van is much taller than a subaru so I should be fine biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.