Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assembly/build thread GT tribute
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914dave
It's been a long road and I wasn't sure how this project would take. So I didn't do a build thread. Now that we're at the finish and assembly stage I thought I'd start one. Finished the booth and started painting bits this weekend. Getting pumped now!
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mepstein
Go Dave! smilie_pokal.gif
Dion
That Colour is awesome. piratenanner.gif
Excellent progress. Now hurry up and get done, so I can get a ride in the
3.2! Then you can assist me getting my six going! biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
I'm friggin' jealous.
rktmn247
Nice!! More pics please!!
rgalla9146
Hey Dave
Is that the color of the whole car ?... or 'shiny' primer ?
grey fan shroud ?
pete000
Dig that paint booth !

Those light weight hinges look great !
whitetwinturbo
Whoa..............dude.............that cool booth:worship: pray.gif pray.gif
914dave
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 1 2016, 11:02 PM) *

Hey Dave
Is that the color of the whole car ?... or 'shiny' primer ?
grey fan shroud ?

Hey Rory
How's it going? That is the final color. It's off a 1957 356, it's called Stein Grau ( stone grey). It looks green in low light and brownish in direct light. Here's a better pic of the color.
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the compliments on the booth. It worked very well. Don't want to paint our drivers and the neighbors cars too. I'll post more pics as I get things painted and assembled.
Cracker
Dave - I dig it. It is different...in a good way. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

PS: Paint booth! Love the filter idea - I usually see just fans - great idea. smilie_pokal.gif

T
JOEPROPER
Love the color, Love the paint booth. I'd love to see the progress as it unfolds and can't wait to see the final product! smoke.gif
Cairo94507
Damn, I love that color. Can't wait to see it on the car. smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
Very nice home brewed booth.
NS914
Dave, that is going to look really really nice....congrats on getting it this far!! Grant
gereed75
That is a cool color and very popular with the 356 crowd. Love it and have been waiting to see it on a 914. Great build. You go Dave!!

Cairo, Yea it's cool, but not as cool as gold!! stirthepot.gif
914dave
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 2 2016, 09:10 AM) *

That is a cool color and very popular with the 356 crowd. Love it and have been waiting to see it on a 914. Great build. You go Dave!!

Thanks. Colors are like singers, you either like them or you don't. Are you the Gary that bought the fiberglass rear valence off me at Hershey this year?
Andyrew
Explain your fan setup in your paint booth. Are two going in and two going out? Creating a swirl? Are all of them going in? or are all of them sucking air out?

Your air in should be filtered. Standard house filters work great once. The issue is you want to eliminate dust and bugs. Run the fans the night before to draw out all the bugs/dust. Also setup the inside 100% for your paint and gun and cleaner. Give yourself at least 3 feet to walk around.
nein14
smile.gif popcorn[1].gif
914dave
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 2 2016, 12:49 PM) *

Explain your fan setup in your paint booth. Are two going in and two going out? Creating a swirl? Are all of them going in? or are all of them sucking air out?

Your air in should be filtered. Standard house filters work great once. The issue is you want to eliminate dust and bugs. Run the fans the night before to draw out all the bugs/dust. Also setup the inside 100% for your paint and gun and cleaner. Give yourself at least 3 feet to walk around.

All four are fans are blowing out. They have heater filters on the interior side so they are not pulling overspray thru them. The opposite wall has filters allowing the air in. Both high and low. I partially block the lower row to get flow both high and low in the booth. These are pictures of the front wall before a I put the side wall up
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

As far as space around the parts, it's limited. I'm doing multiple sprays on the body for a couple of reasons.
1) I'm a newb and breaking it into smaller sprays keeps it so I can mix and shoot by myself.
2) There's no way I can paint around the whole car with that short a booth.
3) I have to mix outside the booth.
There are a lot of compromises but it's better than nothing. I'm planning on blocking and buffing the exterior to cover the dirt issues. Thanks for the advise.
I miss the booth from tech school where I took classes.
Andyrew
Having the car up in the air helps as well. I dont object to multiple sprays on a solid color. Its the least stressfull and gives you lots of time to think things through. Remember to start least exposed to most exposed.

Should be good, just know when spraying primer you make about 1/4 the cloud you make with color.

Your setup should work as well as most paint booths I've been in.. Cloud control will be your biggest issue. Small spray sections will help.
914dave
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 2 2016, 02:47 PM) *

Having the car up in the air helps as well. I dont object to multiple sprays on a solid color. Its the least stressfull and gives you lots of time to think things through. Remember to start least exposed to most exposed.

Should be good, just know when spraying primer you make about 1/4 the cloud you make with color.

Your setup should work as well as most paint booths I've been in.. Cloud control will be your biggest issue. Small spray sections will help.

Thanks for the input. You confirmed the approach I had laid out. Over the past couple of years. I've taken 4) 60 hour night school classes in auto body technology. I worked on my own stuff with my own equipment. The results were very good. Just can't get enough booth time in a class. So if I take my time I should be ok. The weather looks like it will be in my favor the next week or two. Nothing that sandpaper and more paint can't fix. Hehehe
Brian Mifsud
I'm wondering if we can add this to a "DIY Paint Booth" thread? Or how can it be bookmarked and grouped with other DIY Paint Booth projects?

Once all the honey-do's are honey-done's on the farm, I want to build a booth in the barn and get at it.

Thanks..

And that color will make a very interesting crash of traditional "50's" Porsche, with Psychedelic-era-Colored 914's....

Are you doing chrome accents inside and out?

Can't wait to see it...
914dave
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 2 2016, 03:19 PM) *

I'm wondering if we can add this to a "DIY Paint Booth" thread? Or how can it be bookmarked and grouped with other DIY Paint Booth projects?

Once all the honey-do's are honey-done's on the farm, I want to build a booth in the barn and get at it.

Thanks..

And that color will make a very interesting crash of traditional "50's" Porsche, with Psychedelic-era-Colored 914's....

Are you doing chrome accents inside and out?

Can't wait to see it...

The diy thread is a good one. Mine attaches to one wall in an existing building. It can be broken down to three wall and roof slats.
About the trim on the car. Black bumpers. Chrome trim and handles. The inside will have a brushed aluminum dash. Not sure about that yet. We'll see what it looks like and cover it with suede if I dont like it. The inserts in all the switches along with the JWest shifter base are glass beaded and anodized. They look frosted . Widened Konig seats with suede inserts and suede door panels. I even made a titanium heat lever. Too much winter time on my hands. I'll post pics as I assemble.
Rav914
That's a nice paint booth. I built a very similar one a few years back when I painted a 911. Same set-up: framed inside the garage and covered with plastic, filtered fan in the front, filtered intake at the back.

Interesting how two people who have never met, live in different areas, can think of the same solution/design.

Anyway, the booth served me well. Fog was a minor problem but painting small areas and allowing the 'exhaust' fans to catch up, worked well for me. My color was silver metallic. Good luck!
Cracker
Dave - Just curious...what are you putting on the floor? Water? Nothing?

T
914dave
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 2 2016, 03:58 PM) *

Dave - Just curious...what are you putting on the floor? Water? Nothing?

T

Just putting water on the floor.
gereed75
QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 2 2016, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 2 2016, 09:10 AM) *

Thanks. Colors are like singers, you either like them or you don't. Are you the Gary that bought the fiberglass rear valence off me at Hershey this year?

Yep Good to see you making great progress. I painted a plane in a similar booth. It is all about the set up and cleanliness. Plane came out ok even without color sanding (rivets don't sand so well). You got this.
barrym
Checkout 'home built by jeff' channel on YouTube - it's an Aussie 911 build channel but has a good vid on spray booth build from a garden marquee - I bought one too for this process, was $100 aud!

Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(barrym @ Aug 3 2016, 05:46 PM) *

Checkout 'home built by jeff' channel on YouTube - it's an Aussie 911 build channel but has a good vid on spray booth build from a garden marquee - I bought one too for this process, was $100 aud!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_vb_SJct...sAwDg''

This is gold!!!

restore2seater
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 4 2016, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(barrym @ Aug 3 2016, 05:46 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_vb_SJct...sAwDg''

This is gold!!!

Bad link.

Possibly meant this How to build a spray booth.
914dave
Progress
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914dave
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914dave
Click to view attachment
restore2seater
Click to view attachment

Dave, what is the purpose of these 2 panels?
stuttgart46
Looking good.
I can't wait to see that color on the whole car.
914dave
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Aug 10 2016, 10:14 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Dave, what is the purpose of these 2 panels?

Those are for the trailer hitch. They sandwich the floor and are welded to the trans crossmember. This is what it looks like underneath. You can see the heat marks where I welded thru from the top.
Click to view attachment

914dave
More progress.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
maf914
QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 10 2016, 06:31 AM) *

Those are for the trailer hitch. They sandwich the floor and are welded to the trans crossmember. This is what it looks like underneath. You can see the heat marks where I welded thru from the top.

Trailer hitch? What are you planning to tow with a 914? idea.gif Just curious. biggrin.gif
914dave
QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 15 2016, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 10 2016, 06:31 AM) *

Trailer hitch? What are you planning to tow with a 914? idea.gif Just curious. biggrin.gif

Bike rack mostly maybe a track trailer. Plan on autocrossing alot. Thinking of a motorcycle size teardrop for a cross country trip.
mepstein
Takes guts to start spraying the body panels pray.gif
Alapone
Dave you are a HERO
914dave
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2016, 09:30 AM) *

Takes guts to start spraying the body panels pray.gif

Guts or stupidity. I can never tell which! hehehe Dion stopped over to check out the paint and he's stoked about those calipers.
Vysoc
Awesome work, awesome color, great thread!!!

I am going with a little lighter sort of Light Seal Grey on my 914-6 GT Tribute.

Love the color, my Mom had a 69 Bug about that color, I used to shift ot for her from the passenger seat when I was 7.

Vysoc flag.gif
scotty b
That color is going to be gorgeous on a flared car. wub.gif

Orange side script ??? poke.gif
914dave
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 15 2016, 05:04 PM) *

That color is going to be gorgeous on a flared car. wub.gif

Orange side script ??? poke.gif

Maybe gold side script, would go better with these wheels.
Click to view attachment
steuspeed
I could see orange on there too. Think Singer. Cream, gulf blue, and silver/grey. Love the wheels.
914dave
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 15 2016, 06:46 PM) *

I could see orange on there too. Think Singer. Cream, gulf blue, and silver/grey. Love the wheels.

I saw the Singer with orange letters and grey striping. Gotta love vinyl. Can always change your mind. Singer is where I got the idea for the color. They took this color and modified it for a 911. I got a color sample from Willhoit and really started liking it. So I rolled with it. The seat centers are black suede with .06" diameter holes every 1/2". There is orange cloth underneath. So the seats have little orange polka dots.
raynekat
Love the color....looking great!
steuspeed
"...There is orange cloth underneath. So the seats have little orange polka dots."

That orange trunk lid hanging in the garage is speaking to you. poke.gif
914dave
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 15 2016, 07:47 PM) *

"...There is orange cloth underneath. So the seats have little orange polka dots."

That orange trunk lid hanging in the garage is speaking to you. poke.gif

Hehe. That's my magnetic note board. This car started out orange. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.