Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ugh -Looks Like I have a Burned Exhaust valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
Well this will be fun!

I noted an odd exhaust note from my glorious CFR exhaust. Thought something had come loose inside the exhaust. Removed, checked, and all good.

Checked valve adjustment. All good.

Checked compression. 150 PSI plus except for #3 at 100. headbang.gif Did the add some oil to cylinder with no change in compression.

Going to remove the exhaust tonight again and take off the valve train on that side and pressurize the cylinder to see if I can verify the which valve is leaking.

A couple of questions. Fist I bet no one has a known good 73 2.0 L head laying around that they would be willing to sell or loan? Just looking to minimize down time.

Next any suggestions on a place to turn the head around quickly? Not sure if it is just the exhaust valve but considering it has less than 5K on the new top end and it is holding 100 psi I am betting it is not seriously damaged.

While I am there, might as well replace the rings. so I will be needing a set of 96 mm rings.
Eric_Shea
Replace both heads with big valve heads... best investment in fun for that motor. I might have a pair. wink.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 1 2016, 08:21 AM) *

Replace both heads with big valve heads... best investment in fun for that motor. I might have a pair. wink.gif

True but not sure I can handle the "investment" in what the heads cost but what you got?
r_towle
I suggest you pull the motor out of the car...it will be faster.
Also, you need to do more diagnosis before you go buying parts.

How old is the motor?
Do you think there may be alot of carbon build up in the motor, enough to possibly make one of the rings get stuck, or a valve not close right?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 1 2016, 04:55 PM) *

idea.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 1 2016, 01:55 PM) *

Also, you need to do more diagnosis before you go buying parts.

How old is the motor?
Do you think there may be alot of carbon build up in the motor, enough to possibly make one of the rings get stuck, or a valve not close right?

Less than 5k since McMark did the top end. Will do a pressurized blow through to see.
JOEPROPER
I'd do a leak down test and maybe pop that valve cover off to get a look at valve springs, rockers etc... How did it run before? I don't think I'd be too eager to pull the engine before doing a little more investigating. popcorn[1].gif
DaveO90s4
Worth checking valve clearances before removing rocker gear? Excessive clearance might indicate that valve not fully closed?

Dave
porschetub
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Aug 2 2016, 10:55 AM) *

Worth checking valve clearances before removing rocker gear? Excessive clearance might indicate that valve not fully closed?

Dave

idea.gif ,I think you mean lack of clearance and the valve may still be open.

Mblizzard
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Aug 1 2016, 02:55 PM) *

Dave

Believe me I am doing all of the easy things first. But the sudden change and fact that I have checked all of the valves especially #3 it is hard to see that it could be anything else.
r_towle
That sucks.
Mblizzard
Thanks to Eric at PMB looks like I have a couple of new big valve heads headed my way!

Of course when I tell my wife how much this will costs I might be sleeping in my 914!
Mblizzard
Can't wait on this package to show up!

Click to view attachment

Just wish the engine fairies would stop by and install them this weekend!
Mblizzard
Well engine out and torn down to the heads. Will start diggin in tomorrow.

Of course found more things to fix. CV joint fell apart on the passenger side. WTF? It is always something.
stugray
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 6 2016, 02:03 PM) *

Of course found more things to fix. CV joint fell apart on the passenger side. WTF? It is always something.

The CVs often 'fall apart' when removing the drivetrain, but was the cage broken?
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 2 2016, 09:13 AM) *

Thanks to Eric at PMB looks like I have a couple of new big valve heads headed my way!

Of course when I tell my wife how much this will costs I might be sleeping in my 914!

What size valves are in the replacement heads? Are they 2.0L heads?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 6 2016, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 2 2016, 09:13 AM) *

What size valves are in the replacement heads? Are they 2.0L heads?

44 intake 38 exhaust. Original 2.0 heads.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 6 2016, 12:14 PM) *

The CVs often 'fall apart' when removing the drivetrain, but was the cage broken?

Cage looked good but the clip on end was gone!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 6 2016, 07:02 PM) *

Is the clip really necessary? I would want one installed but I believe the shaft floats laterally in the bearing once installed.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 6 2016, 04:07 PM) *

Is the clip really necessary? I would want one installed but I believe the shaft floats laterally in the bearing once installed.

I am pretty sure the clip is necessary. It is rare that parts are added that are not needed and the clip is present on most CV joints I have ever seen.
Mblizzard
Long day but found a few interesting things. Which one of these was not firing?

Click to view attachment

Well new heads going on within only minor issues.

Click to view attachment

One more,long day then back on road.

lonewolfe
Hey Mike! is this a stock size 2.0L motor? It seems to me that 44x38 valves would be too large for a 2.0L. How does the motor run differently with those large valves? What compression are you running and which cam? Are you still running the SSI's with the Tangerine Evo 4 muffler? I bought the same mufflwe from Tangerine after I heard the sound clips from your car!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 7 2016, 04:47 PM) *

Hey Mike! is this a stock size 2.0L motor? It seems to me that 44x38 valves would be too large for a 2.0L. How does the motor run differently with those large valves? What compression are you running and which cam? Are you still running the SSI's with the Tangerine Evo 4 muffler? I bought the same mufflwe from Tangerine after I heard the sound clips from your car!

It is a 2056 so the valves are not too big.

Leaving a bit on the table as I am still running stock cam. Will swap cam at some point to get into that 120 hp range.

Running SS heat exchangers. But planning to get the CFR headers at some point.

I had hoped to do cam and heads at the same time but the budget would not allow.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 7 2016, 06:11 PM) *

Leaving a bit on the table as I am still running stock cam. Will swap cam at some point to get into that 120 hp range.

I had hoped to do cam and heads at the same time but the budget would not allow.

I know all about that budget factor. Fortunately, I'm a pretty patient guy. Have you been happy with the Evo 4 muffler?
cwpeden
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 6 2016, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 6 2016, 04:07 PM) *

I am pretty sure the clip is necessary. It is rare that parts are added that are not needed and the clip is present on most CV joints I have ever seen.

Pretty sure they serve a purpose...The CV was toast, both inner race and outer.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 7 2016, 08:29 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ignition related?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 7 2016, 05:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ignition related?

Pretty sure compression related. Less than 100 psi on the black cylinder.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 7 2016, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 7 2016, 06:11 PM) *

I know all about that budget factor. Fortunately, I'm a pretty patient guy. Have you been happy with the Evo 4 muffler?

Extremely happy with Evo. Great sound, well made, seems to add a bit of power right in the mid range, and looked really good!
76-914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 8 2016, 03:15 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ignition related?

Did the leak down point at the exhaust or intake?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 8 2016, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 8 2016, 03:15 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ignition related?

Did the leak down point at the exhaust or intake?

Exhaust.
Mblizzard
Well hopefully this weekend will see me driving again. It is funny haw many little pats it takes to get this done and how lucky we are to have some really good vendors.

PMB, Aasse, Ecklers, Bruce Stone, CFR, 914 Rubber, and others all supplied parts.
Mblizzard
Well looks like it may have been a bit more serious than a valve.

That looks like a scratch that will buff out. Right?

Click to view attachment
76-914
Uhhh, no!
lonewolfe
I think the original 2.0 heads are no longer worth the money to repair. They always seem to crack. I have three sets of 2.0 heads and the all have cracks. Once you get them welded up a complete valve job with new seats and you're in the $1000 range and they're just going to crack again. It's a shame that nobody is making new 2.0 heads with modern alloys that are more durable. Thank goodness we at least have AMC heads to build up as replacements. Anyone have any cracking issues with AMC heads?
HAM Inc
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 16 2016, 02:27 PM) *

I think the original 2.0 heads are no longer worth the money to repair. They always seem to crack. I have three sets of 2.0 heads and the all have cracks. Once you get them welded up a complete valve job with new seats and you're in the $1000 range and they're just going to crack again. It's a shame that nobody is making new 2.0 heads with modern alloys that are more durable. Thank goodness we at least have AMC heads to build up as replacements. Anyone have any cracking issues with AMC heads?

So far I have yet to see an AMC head crack.

Seen them come back for service from track cars that ran over 1400* EGT's. Warped them and killed the valve job, but they didn't crack.

Seen them abused on CA busses with clogged catalytic converters that heated the heads so high it degraded the 1800* rated exhaust seats we install. Again, warped but not cracked.

They are very good castings, but the parts are garbage.
craig downs
That's good to know. smile.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 16 2016, 04:12 PM) *

Seen them come back for service from track cars that ran over 1400* EGT's. Warped them and killed the valve job, but they didn't crack.

Seen them abused on CA busses with clogged catalytic converters that heated the heads so high it degraded the 1800* rated exhaust seats we install. Again, warped but not cracked.

If I ever do this again I will likely go the no 2.0 head.
HAM Inc
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 16 2016, 06:28 PM) *

They're not cheap, but they are spectacular, more powerful and beefier than the O.E. castings.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 17 2016, 12:50 AM) *

They're not cheap, but they are spectacular, more powerful and beefier than the O.E. castings.

I looked into them so I know. Really was not planning on this change but I think I will plan for the expense.
malcolm2
So is everything back together? Jack stands back in the tool box?
HAM Inc
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 17 2016, 05:06 AM) *

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 17 2016, 12:50 AM) *

I looked into them so I know. Really was not planning on this change but I think I will plan for the expense.

You won't regret it! driving.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 17 2016, 04:47 AM) *

So is everything back together? Jack stands back in the tool box?

You know how hard it is to get a 914 off jack stands!

Got it started (on jack stands) for a moment to verify it runs. Still have to replace the CV boot I ripped somehow and put the shift linkage back in.

Looking at the head it is clear it got too hot. So I am installing a Dakota digital cylinder head temperature sensor as well.

I took some extra time and tried to neaten a few things up as well.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 17 2016, 04:47 PM) *

Still have to replace the CV boot I ripped ...

I didn't ship anything the last couple days so its still on my desk.
sad.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 18 2016, 04:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 17 2016, 04:47 PM) *

Still have to replace the CV boot I ripped ...

I didn't ship anything the last couple days so its still on my desk.
sad.gif

No issues Chris. Wont have time to wok on it until next week anyway. But it is still a great thing to have vendors that don't judge your mistakes. It took a lot of effort to rip a CV boot.

Also it is great to be able to reach out and get what you need. Thanks for all of your help. The Evo will sound much better with all cylinders firing!
stugray
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 18 2016, 06:30 AM) *

It took a lot of effort to rip a CV boot.

Let me guess: Jacking the engine up with the axles touching the top of the trans??
Mblizzard
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 18 2016, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 18 2016, 06:30 AM) *

It took a lot of effort to rip a CV boot.

Let me guess: Jacking the engine up with the axles touching the top of the trans??

We have a winner!

Cant tell you how many times I have taken an engine out of a 914 and put it back with no issues. But the whole process seemed to be jinxed this time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.