Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Di-524 fix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
looked at the insides of the d-link box, found that the CPU gets way WAY too hot for a small CPU....so i fashioned a temporary heat sink using what i had.....
bd1308
pic 2...layered dime and quarter to funnel heat up and away from CPU (using sticky-tack as thermal compund of sorts) and used a coke can aluminum to funnel heat away and out to function as heat spreader....not ONE dropped packet since....and before i almost got a blister from touching that CPU.....
iiibdsiil
Very cool. I might have to take my Linksys apart and see if I have a similar problem. I like that fix, cheap!
914GT
Normally thermal engineers thermocouple these parts to make sure they operate within specs for the environment class they're designed for. A lot of chips run hot to touch normally, nothing wrong with that. But if you're getting some errors or strange operation then doesn't hurt to try cooling it down. Some bad thermal design if that's what's happening...

By the way - if you want some real heat sinks give me the dimensions and I'll see what I have.
bd1308
its like a small PC chipset size.....i need a real heatsink....i'm on wireless now.....and its running fine....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.