Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for the Brain Trust - Engine Fails to Turn over
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
My 74 1.8 914 has been in hibernation for over two years.
Last weekend, I tried to start it.
Here's what happened, lights on dash are bright, but starter does not engage.
I rolled the car while it's in gear in an attempt to rotate the fly wheel.
For those that might say, is the battery charged, yes but was low. Battery is being charged now.
But just in case its not the battery, what could be wrong?
Should I tap the starter ?
I feel silly asking such an elementary question...as I should have have someone start it more often.
Oh. Ive been topping it off with new gas and a large bottle of Staybill for the gas every six months.

I want to thank any advice in advance.
Oh, yes I've utilize the search function too.
injunmort
make sure you have at least 12volts out of the battery. anything less than 11, probably won't engage starter.
TheCabinetmaker
Get the battery charged, try it again. Then report back with the results. Answering such a vague question would result in a two page answer of possibilities.
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 2 2016, 10:04 AM) *

make sure you have at least 12volts out of the battery. anything less than 11, probably won't engage starter.

Thanks for the education on the 12 volts.
Ya, starter was simply dead, what was confusing is, I had a battery tender on the Optima.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, enjoy your week
Drums66
...Clean-up corrosion(grounds,ect.) idea.gif
bye1.gif
colingreene
better take a multimeter to it
Rand
This method isn't for everyone, but you can rule out half the things to troubleshoot in seconds with a screwdriver.

Rest the screwdriver shank on the bolt at the red arrow in pic (main power from battery). When you're ready, slide it forward to stab the tip against the yellow wire's terminal at the green arrow (solenoid). Don't turn the key on for this test, you aren't trying to start it, only see if it wants to crank. Make sure it's in neutral of course.

If it tries to crank, then your problem is the starter circuit between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. It's common for a cracked ignition switch to cause this. Also the seatbelt relay connections under the passenger seat on late model cars. If it stays dead then it's probably the battery, dirty connections at battery terminals, or main ground strap.

[edited. Elliot made a good point about neutral - gotta declare everything. Although keep in mind, you aren't going to crank the car enough for it to move even if it was in gear, only a quick tap to see if it wants to react. And again, don't turn on the ignition, you don't want it to start for this test.]

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 2 2016, 03:53 PM) *

This method isn't for everyone, but you can rule out half the things to troubleshoot in seconds with a screwdriver.

Rest the screwdriver shank on the bolt at the red arrow. When you're ready, slide it forward to stab the tip against the terminal at the green arrow. Only takes a split second to find out if it wants to crank. If it does, then your problem is the starter circuit between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. It's common for a cracked ignition switch to cause this. Also the seatbelt relay connections under the passenger seat on late model cars.

Click to view attachment

Also, make damn sure the trans. is in neutral before you try this. Sometimes, a very light tap on the solenoid will work as well. smash.gif Just not very often. smile.gif
injunmort
my point was to go for the obvious and easy first. before diagnosing bad grounds, corroded leads, bad ignition switches, faulty alternators, bad voltage regulators, etc, and chasing sparks in the dark, make sure you have a hot battery. optima or otherwise will fail from sitting for an extended period of time, tender or no tender. periodic charging does not grant eternal battery life. are sure you have 12 volts across the terminals before we go any further. just sayin'
Rand
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 2 2016, 04:38 PM) *

my point was to go for the obvious and easy first. before diagnosing bad grounds, corroded leads, bad ignition switches, faulty alternators, bad voltage regulators, etc, and chasing sparks in the dark, make sure you have a hot battery. optima or otherwise will fail from sitting for an extended period of time, tender or no tender. periodic charging does not grant eternal battery life. are sure you have 12 volts across the terminals before we go any further. just sayin'

We're on the same page. That's why I suggested the quickest test possible. smile.gif
injunmort
rand, i would like your post if i knew how to do it.
Guys, after reading all of the above suggestions, I think I know the problem. Since I was not available to actually start the car...and I only asked my nephew to start it for me... I did mention to him about hooking up the passenger set belt to the driver's seat belt buckle( seat belt relay)....I believe that's why it did not crank..
Simple things that we as 74 914 owners would know....
Thanks for everyone's input..
I will update this tread when I solve it.
Rand
This isn't Facebook, so we have to do it the old fashioned way: Hey injunmort, I like your post.
biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
injunmort
rand, yours too sir. still don't know if there is 12 volts out the battery. lets f**ck with the seatbelt switches first.
injunmort
that's gotta be it
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 2 2016, 04:58 PM) *

that's gotta be it

Bypass it and move on the the next thing!

Seat Belt Interlock Relay Bypass
injunmort
why bypass it if there is only 8 volts at the battery? there is a few stops on diagnosing before the seat belt switch.
Well, back to the battery. My brother checked it and mentioned that it was on the low side. Also texted nephew and he confirmed that the drivers seat belt was hooked up.
Thanks again folks. Guess I will have to wait until a family member can assist me.
Enjoy a successful week
injunmort
can you assign a voltage value to "on the low side" wtf does that mean? ,<12 or >12 dude. trying to help here but need factual input
Rand
QUOTE(396 @ Aug 2 2016, 05:46 PM) *

Well, back to the battery. My brother checked it and mentioned that it was on the low side. Also texted nephew and he confirmed that the drivers seat belt was hooked up.
Thanks again folks. Guess I will have to wait until a family member can assist me.
Enjoy a successful week

If you want to keep the battery in the mix, just jump start it and see what happens.

Don't look at seatbelts yet, take methodical steps. Do you want to do this the easy way, or the long way? biggrin.gif We've spent more time chatting about it than it would take to solve it if you're ready to get your hands dirty.
injunmort
+
Update, battery was charged up again on a "shop battery charger "- even though it was on a battery tender.
Ensured battery cables were attached 100% from initial attempts.

Success! It started right up, and we let the baby run for about 15 minutes, no fuel leaks, oil leaks - yaaaa.
Inflated tires to 40lbs for additional hibernation.

Thanks to those who reply with suggestions smilie_pokal.gif
injunmort
WOW. congrats on the success. it was the battery, i never would have suspected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.