Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Column & Dash Face Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amfab
I am about to redo my dash face. I know I have to remove the steering column.

Is there a way to take the upper column off (or just lower it) keeping the wheel and ignition/wiper/turn signal module all together?

Or do I need to pull each piece then unbolt it?

TIA,

-Andrew
malcolm2
The steering wheel is easily removed, if you have the large socket.

Then I would suspect you could un bolt the bracket that holds the column to the dash at the knee pad (IIRC the pad must come off 1st) and let the column hang down in the seat. Probably will need to un couple the wires. You can't mix those up, the connectors are unique.

shades.gif But now that I think about it, you probably could just drop the column, wheel and all, in the drivers seat.

I have had both off several times, but never messed with the vertical part of the dash, but need to. While your at it, you can do the flat vinyl between the window and the dash top.
Mikey914
The steering wheel will allow you to do what you want, so remove it. Also, on the later cars the metal is imbedded in the vinyl, it's also a light gauge so easily deformed.

If you do need new metal I have it. Comes with new vinyl

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Dash-Face-Me...m?categoryId=-1

Note the OEM parts are the yellow 2 sided tape so you can see how mine compares
Mikey914
You can see on the middle part how the vinyl is on the back too. The metal has been sandwiched into the assembly. Makes working on the late a pain.
Darren C
QUOTE(amfab @ Aug 3 2016, 03:58 PM) *

I am about to redo my dash face. I know I have to remove the steering column.

Is there a way to take the upper column off (or just lower it) keeping the wheel and ignition/wiper/turn signal module all together?

Or do I need to pull each piece then unbolt it?

TIA,

-Andrew

You can pull the 3 wiring plugs. (ignition switch, wiper and indicators) as said before they are all different so you cant easily mix them up.

The hardest job is the washer tubes if they are short, they'll need to come off. If they are long, then they can stay on if you support the column when its pulled forwards (much easier to take them off really)

1 x M8 nut and bolt on the universal joint to remove, and two column bolts seen looking up through the slotted holes in the knee pad and the upper column should pull out.

Good luck

PS the washer tubes are tight on the washer valve and the plastic breaks easy while the tubes perish and leak. It's a good time to put new washer hose on the car if you've still got the original fitted. Hose is only a couple of $ per metre
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.