Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 sport mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
So,

I picked up these sport mounts the other day. Slapped em in and noticed while reassembly that the lower plate from my older stock mounts, the one with a little dish in it that sits between the trans and rubber of the mount, doesnt quite sit against the rubber like it did on the stock mount.

I put it back together, and it seems to drive nice, but now i'm wondering if the fact that that dished plate is only contacting the steel inner collar of the mount, and not sitting equally nice all over the rubber, is going to maybe cause a problem?

what do you think?

a) find another lower dished plate that is formed to fit the bottom of the sport mount distributing the forces equally huh.gif

cool.gif wait and see (though i'm still having a light clutch judder when two people are in the car) ohmy.gif

c) not worry about it as its not a problem smile.gif
SirAndy
sounds like your "dish" is upside down ...
but i can't tell without a good pic!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
brer
i'll pull one off so you can see.
SirAndy
QUOTE (brer @ Apr 11 2005, 11:51 PM)
i'll pull one off so you can see.

naaa, just post a pic of everything installed.

i know what the parts look like, i need to see how you installed them ...
cool.gif Andy
Joseph Mills
I just completed this myself. Here's how mine look.

Hope it's right! unsure.gif biggrin.gif
SirAndy
yupp, that's how it's supposed to look like ...

don't mind the fuzzy picture (hey, i have a reputation to uphold!)
biggrin.gif Andy

RustyWa
Slight hijack alert..

I noticed the other day, laying on my back, I could raise the tranny/exhaust up like a 1/4". I pulled a mount out like an hour ago and it looks good. Nice and firm. I can put a jack under the tranny and start jacking. The tranny will go up, I'm guessing 3/8" maybe more, before the body starts going up.

Is there supposed to be some sagging from the weight of the drivetrain or are mine wore out?
nebreitling
i'm guessing they're worn out, eric. stock mounts should be pliable -- but not "1/4 inch by hand" pliable. my 911 sport mounts don't 'flex' perceptibly at all.
RustyWa
I can only get them to flex when they have the weight on them. It's not like I can take a mount out and move it by hand.

Thanks, another thing to put on the list I guess.... wacko.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (RustyWa @ Apr 12 2005, 08:48 PM)
The tranny will go up, I'm guessing 3/8" maybe more, before the body starts going up.

Yours may just be starting to go.

My tranny was moving upwards of over an inch before the rest of the car would start moving. Now it doesn't move at all.

Of course, we all know we're not supposed to use the tranny to jack the car up.

Don't we? biggrin.gif
jgiroux67
Is there actually a problem with jacking the car up from the tranny?
nebreitling
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Apr 12 2005, 07:35 PM)
Is there actually a problem with jacking the car up from the tranny?

it seems to be a commonly accepted yet commonly disapproved practice.

if the chassis and tranny mounts are in good shape, it's probably okay, other wise, i'd be hesitant. ymmv.
brer
Here's mine in the car.

Notice how there's a little gap. It was like that before i put them in and i'm wondering if that will allow some movement causing a minor clutch judder.

It does have a large plate washer on top of it, just not showing in the pic. Its the one that was mated with it. My stock top plate fit in an odd way. didnt' seem right.

thanks guys,
b.
RustyWa
Looks like you're missing some parts. My stock ones have a small gap also.
SirAndy
QUOTE (brer @ Apr 12 2005, 08:20 PM)
My stock top plate fit in an odd way. didnt' seem right.

dunno, yours doesn't look right, you need that large plate on top, plus you have the bolt upside-down ...

idea.gif Andy
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Apr 13 2005, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (brer @ Apr 12 2005, 08:20 PM)
My stock top plate fit in an odd way. didnt' seem right.

dunno, yours doesn't look right...

idea.gif Andy

agree.gif

That looks more like a regular 911 mount, not a 911 sport mount.

Maybe some taildragger will jump in. biggrin.gif
brer
you're right about it being a normal 911 mount. My friend pointed that out to me. dry.gif

Thats the way the bolts were before, maybe i'll flip em around.

My concern with the top plate was that it was sitting on the metal instead of the rubber, so i used the really large washers that came witht he mounts on top instead.

maybe i should monkey with it a bit.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.