Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster Engine in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
Is it possible to put a older 6 cyl Boxster engine and tranny in a 914 and has anyone done it ..
SirAndy
If i recall correctly, the Boxster engine is too wide and requires you to relocate the suspension ears.

I know of one guy who started doing the conversion. That was some 8(?) years ago.
I don't think the car got finished.
idea.gif
Beakster
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 3 2016, 08:09 PM) *

If i recall correctly, the Boxster engine is too wide and requires you to relocate the suspension ears.

I know of one guy who started doing the conversion. That was some 8(?) years ago.
I don't think the car got finished.
idea.gif

Thanks ... Sir Andy .
JeffBowlsby
"You cannot put a Boxster drivetrain in a 914" happy11.gif
ajracer
Previously completed a Chev V8 conversion and used a 5 speed Boxster tranny with cable shifter. It was a 300 HP motor and worked well with the Boxster tranny, other than the top speed was limited to 130 MPH because of gearing and the 6,000 RPM from the engine. It was lots of fun for a street car. AllanClick to view attachment
Optimusglen
Boxster trans is not a big issue, the actual engine is wide though and part of it wants to live in the same space as a couple major suspension components. Its possible, if you're up for redesigning the suspension.
barrym
I seem to recall someone was working on it and it physically fits, but had to have different coil packs ?
BIGKAT_83
Here are pictures of a running car in Aussie. Go to the end of the thread

914with boxster engine
mepstein
Why would you want a Boxter engine?
Chris H.
Very interesting. The intake is flipped and the throttle body is turned 180 degrees. Fits pretty good and the intake is nice and tall to clear the alternator.

Click to view attachment

Nice headers!

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
That's a lot of engine in there.....
ClayPerrine
My question is "Why would you want to?"

The Boxster engine is notorious for bottom end failures, and they are getting a premium for good ones because a lot of Boxster owners are looking for a replacement. There is even a company offering a kit to put a Subaru 6 into the Boxster chassis because of the failures.

Frankly, its not worth the effort. Heavier than a 911 six, less HP, and it requires a radiator that adds even more weight.

Vapor_locked
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 5 2016, 02:38 PM) *

My question is "Why would you want to?"

The Boxster engine is notorious for bottom end failures, and they are getting a premium for good ones because a lot of Boxster owners are looking for a replacement. There is even a company offering a kit to put a Subaru 6 into the Boxster chassis because of the failures.

Frankly, its not worth the effort. Heavier than a 911 six, less HP, and it requires a radiator that adds even more weight.

There are differing degrees of mental illness, coupled with wallet thickness that make people do what they do, there really is no other reasonable explanation. It will only drive you crazy to try to figure out someone who is crazy! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.