Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a/C for a 914 a different approach...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockaria
I looked and did not see any posts on this one. "Oh very nice car if you ask me." But a little over board on the A/C system.

YOWZA, can you say overkill. Check out this guys solution for Air Conditioning...

user posted image

Very cold 914 for sale

I think I use the same type in my house? blink.gif
ArtechnikA
thread was titled 'Blue Diamond.'

i was less impressed by the AC as i was by the claim that he'd had the stock alternator rewound to 140A. (almost 1700W)

i think he'd have better luck marketing -that- technology than this casr ...
Mueller
what kind of engineer? , motorhome engineer or trailer park engineer?? smile.gif

I agree with Rich, this guy is proud to use what he learned in Marketing classes laugh.gif

interesting idea, and it is cost effective compared to most A/C installs...I'm waiting to see a swap cooler installed in a 914 smash.gif
tat2dphreak
I always like seeing the "child molester" panel vans with a home window unit mounted in the back window, sealed off with duct tape unsure.gif personally... no one even bother's with the "you might be a redneck" joke... there's no *might* to it at that point...
Kerrys914
ohmy.gif PLEASE no ENGINEER in their right mind would have designed that ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
davep
I don't know how he got 140 amps out of the alternator. Mine cannot get better than a little over 90 amps. You need a very big inverter to start the motor in the compresser for sure. I don't see how he is getting rid of the heat though. It will not cool for very long if it just recirculates air in the trunk; minutes I'd guess. Interesting, but not engineered in my opinion. With a price that low you may be forgiven for thinking he is paying you to take it off of his hands.
Rockaria
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Apr 12 2005, 09:57 AM)
ohmy.gif PLEASE no ENGINEER in their right mind would have designed that....

I never said it was engineered well. Someone has to graduate at the bottom of the class... and he's doing A/C systems for 914s biggrin.gif
914GT
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 12 2005, 08:40 AM)
I'm waiting to see a swap cooler installed in a 914 smash.gif

I like the swamp cooler idea. Would work great here until the monsoons come. Put a bunch of aspen pads in the front trunk and fill the trunk with water and a small pump. Then just need to duct the air into the car... the folks back east must be wondering what the hell we're talking about screwy.gif
Rockaria
QUOTE (914GT @ Apr 12 2005, 10:31 AM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 12 2005, 08:40 AM)
I'm waiting to see a swap cooler installed in a 914  :smash:

I like the swamp cooler idea....

I have seen these as window units on VW bugs, and rooftop units on VW vans.

I can just imagine the rust issues with one in the front trunk of a 914...
914GT
I was joking of course. On the other hand, it probably wouldn't be much more of a rust issue then simply owning a 914 in the Midwest.
maf914
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 12 2005, 07:56 AM)
I always like seeing the "child molester" panel vans with a home window unit mounted in the back window, sealed off with duct tape unsure.gif personally... no one even bother's with the "you might be a redneck" joke... there's no *might* to it at that point...

Several years ago I was camping at a commercial campground named Sunshine Key in the Florida Keys. After a few quiet days some big van club moved into the campground and of course set up in every site around us. Lots of full size American vans with all sorts of window AC combinations. Some mounted in the van windows, some on top, some even mounted on the picnic tables with flex ducts going to the vans. I guess you could say it was interesting... laugh.gif

Last month at the Sebring 12 Hr I saw a tent with a window AC unit on a low table mounted in one of the zipped doors. They had a portable generator for power. There was a satellite dish next to the generator as well! laugh.gif Actually this year was one of the coolest, most comfortable weekends I can remember for the race at Sebring.
maf914
Swamp coolers?

JC Whitney used to have an evaporative cooler that was placed in the side window and held by the roll-up window. A few years ago of course. laugh.gif I've never seen one though.
914GT
QUOTE (maf914 @ Apr 12 2005, 10:46 AM)
Swamp coolers?

Popular name for them here in southwest. They work great as long as no humidity. I prefer them over A/C until the summer rains come then I switch to A/C on my house. I recall seeing pictures of those car evap boxes used on sidewindows or rooftops. Think it was more of a 1940s-50s thing, and only where very low humidity.
Tom73
QUOTE (maf914 @ Apr 12 2005, 09:46 AM)
Swamp coolers?

JC Whitney used to have an evaporative cooler that was placed in the side window and held by the roll-up window. A few years ago of course. laugh.gif I've never seen one though.

Something like this:

user posted image
ruddyboys
Heres a pic
ArtechnikA
evaporative coolers were very popular in my rural northers NV part of the world. in addition to providing significant temperature drops at relatively low cost, they added moisture to the air. sustained life at single-digit humidity is not pleasant.
bd1308
have you ever seen a home evap cooler.....I loved this thing, called the Genesis...it was a cooler/heater thing that used ice water to cool a room really cool!!!!
914GT
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 12 2005, 11:59 AM)
have you ever seen a home evap cooler.....

Got two of them on my roof. Don't like to see it any more than I have to.
jr91472
talk about missing the mark on your target customers!!!! screwy.gif

You gotta admit, its really clean. If he would have just put all that energy into a simple stock restoration, he really would have a gem.
Hawktel
Dude that evap cooler is awesome. I think it would fit on a roof, you could get one, glass it all in, and plumb it so it put the cool air right on your male patern baldness.

Can you even imagine the looks you would get?

And during the cold weather days, just swap back to a normal roof.

SpecialK
Looks like a rolling beer can target to me. happy11.gif
bwilless
How about installing a RV AC unit that mounts on the top? Get an extra targa top cut a big hole and bolt that thing down. Then stap a 120V generator to the back of the car to power it!

And I are an engineer
Gary
Someone needs to order one of these: Swamp coolers for cars and tell us how they work rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Flat VW
A person could place one on each side of the car and claim it is "jet engine assist"! cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.