Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BfloRandy
Just thought I'd ask before I start ripping everything apart yet again...
Took the car to the car wash (hand, not auto!) and everything was fine. Afterwards, the gas gauge stopped working, it's dead, pegged to the left side. Apparently not getting power. I checked the fuse, looks fine, no other systems out either.
Ideas on what to look at? As I said, it was working just fine before the wash.
rhodyguy
Check for voltage at the sender. You'll have to remove the overfill basin first.
Tom_T
Hey Randy,

Maybe first swap in a new & know good fuse (they can sometimes melt in a hard way to see it), then try a check for continuity in the wiring between the tank/sender, fuse block (check continuity at the fuse block itself too & look for water), & to the gauge, & wiring back to the battery/power source (both leads +/-) - since you say it started after the wash, as it may have bare or cracked insulation which then shorted out if water got into the right place.

Then if you know it's not the wiring nor fuse/fuse block, then check continuity at the gauge & sender - both of which will require some disassembly, as noted above.

PS - if you do find a water leak as the culprit, then you'll want to deal with it with a new seal or whatever let the wash water in. You may want to consider only hand washing it yourself with no hose, & just an small tub of water frequently changed out (I use an old plastic coffee "tin" with the moulded in handle & an old school Chamois on my cars).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.