Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare sighting in MN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iwanta914-6
It's been a while since I've visited, but saw this teener on the road on my way home a few days ago. I can't remember the last time I actually saw one on the road when it wasn't a show or some sort of event. My dream of owning one has been put on hold once again and may never happen, but I'll keep dreaming...

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 5 2016, 01:51 PM) *

My dream of owning one has been put on hold once again and may never happen, but I'll keep dreaming...

Maybe start below a real-6 in your screen name, & get a nice 73-74 914-2.0, or a 2056 or -6 conversion, Subie, etc. - to keep your dream alive!? confused24.gif

A 73-74 2.0/4 is actually more usable in real world conditions like your pic, than a -6 IMHO.

Keep the Dream Alive! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 5 2016, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 5 2016, 01:51 PM) *

My dream of owning one has been put on hold once again and may never happen, but I'll keep dreaming...

Maybe start below a real-6 in your screen name, & get a nice 73-74 914-2.0, or a 2056 or -6 conversion, Subie, etc. - to keep your dream alive!? confused24.gif

A 73-74 2.0/4 is actually more usable in real world conditions like your pic, than a -6 IMHO.

Keep the Dream Alive! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

My dream of an original 6 died a long time ago. That will only happen with lottery money now. I was getting close to buying a 914, but in the end the timing just wasn't right.
Gunn1
Looks like Northwest Blvd.

I had the same dream.....then found one, then another, then another, not stopping until there were four.

Now all four are in a holding pattern until further notice.

It's nice to see a 914 on the road with the top off on a nice sunny minnesota day being enjoyed as it should be.

Good stuff!
tonydincau
Hey I think that's me in the picture! biggrin.gif I can't imagine there are too many other 914s in the area. I just picked it up a few weeks ago, and I've certainly been enjoying it!

IPB Image
SKL1
not you tony, wrong bumpers and wrong wheels...
My 914
Its nice to see a 914 on the road in real traffic conditions. Here in Massachusetts, its literally been YEARS since I've seen one on the road.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(OU812 @ Aug 5 2016, 06:42 PM) *

Looks like Northwest Blvd.

You would be correct!
tonydincau
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 5 2016, 07:54 PM) *

not you tony, wrong bumpers and wrong wheels...

Yep, you're right. I can see that upon closer inspection.
I'll have to keep an eye out for this other 914. I live just a few miles from Northwest Blvd.

Glad to see there are others out and about!
iamchappy
I see them all the time...just the other day at the store was a red 74, I was in mine but never saw the owner. I drive mine daily all over town..but no one has ever seen me.
Gunn1
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 5 2016, 08:41 PM) *

I see them all the time...just the other day at the store was a red 74, I was in mine but never saw the owner. I drive mine daily all over town..but no one has ever seen me.

From Harrington point to Minnetonka beach to Tonka bay to stubs bay and on. Now that I know you're out cruising, I will be keeping an eye out for you.

This weekend is supposed to be beautiful. One thing that could make it better would be if one of the 914's in the driveway were completed.

tonydincau
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 5 2016, 08:41 PM) *

I will be cruising around the Minnetonka area in mine this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for you!
rick 918-S
Very seldom see any up here.
Gunn1
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 5 2016, 10:56 PM) *

Very seldom see any up here.

The drive to Duluth, Two Harbors, Grand Marais especially on the scenic route around Lake Superior would be great today!

Great area....can always gain a little weight stopping at Grandmas, Betty's Pies, and the Scenic cafe.

Then loose some weight while walking around Gooseberry falls, Split rock lighthouse and Tettecouche state park.

Beautiful country along the big lake.
bigkensteele
I bought mine in Minneapolis back in '99 and drove it back to OH. The guy I bought it from has a silver '70 original six and a green '73 or '74 2.0 as well as a cream '65 356, 911(s) and a Boxster. He is near Lake Nokomis. Not sure how much he drives the teeners, though.
Gunn1
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 6 2016, 05:37 PM) *

I bought mine in Minneapolis back in '99 and drove it back to OH. The guy I bought it from has a silver '70 original six and a green '73 or '74 2.0 as well as a cream '65 356, 911(s) and a Boxster. He is near Lake Nokomis. Not sure how much he drives the teeners, though.

Think I've seen that cream 356 driving around lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles in downtown.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Aug 6 2016, 03:38 PM) *

Think I've seen that cream 356 driving around lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles in downtown.

I bought my car back when my wife and I were still dating. She lived in Minneapolis, and I was in Cincinnati, but I traveled every week for work, so I would visit her pretty much every other weekend. It didn't take long for her to realize that I loved Porsches, so she decided to take me to visit the father of one of her ex-boyfriends that she was/is still friends with. He is the guy that I mentioned above. He had bought what is now my car as a beater to drive between his businesses, but he never did, so he let me buy it (cheap because he still really liked my wife). The other cars, including the 356 were immaculate, although I haven't seen them since that day in '99.

Additionally, my car still has all of its paperwork, and I was able to track down the original owner. He bought my car when he was a cadet in the AF Academy, and it spent most of its time (on the road) out in AZ and CO. He now lives on Lake Minnetonka.
Gunn1
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 6 2016, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Aug 6 2016, 03:38 PM) *

I bought my car back when my wife and I were still dating. She lived in Minneapolis, and I was in Cincinnati, but I traveled every week for work, so I would visit her pretty much every other weekend. It didn't take long for her to realize that I loved Porsches, so she decided to take me to visit the father of one of her ex-boyfriends that she was/is still friends with. He is the guy that I mentioned above. He had bought what is now my car as a beater to drive between his businesses, but he never did, so he let me buy it (cheap because he still really liked my wife). The other cars, including the 356 were immaculate, although I haven't seen them since that day in '99.

Additionally, my car still has all of its paperwork, and I was able to track down the original owner. He bought my car when he was a cadet in the AF Academy, and it spent most of its time (on the road) out in AZ and CO. He now lives on Lake Minnetonka.

There are from time to time sightings of some pretty nice 356's, 911's but haven't seen to many 914's around the downtown lakes or Minnetonka.

My experience is, you are more likely to see any of the other Porsche's models around the cities then the 914.

But that's just my personal experience.

Great story about your car and its history.

Iwanta, I apologize for high jacking your thread.

Back on topic
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Aug 7 2016, 04:37 PM) *

Iwanta, I apologize for high jacking your thread.

Back on topic

No worries, it was good reading. Also to see so many MN folks chiming in was encouraging!

Here's one for MN folks.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/5710394095.html

I was in talks with the seller months ago when his car was still in storage. If he would have been quicker to get it out of storage, I probably would have it in my garage, but long story short, it's now out of storage and I my dream has since been put on hold (for the sake of my marriage). I never did see it in person and didn't see photos until it popped up on craigslist. It's exactly as the seller described it though. It pains me to lose the opportunity. I really wanted to have it in time for my 40th Bday in a couple of months, that would have been great. Oh well, I will continue to live vicariously through the forum members beerchug.gif
mramber
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 5 2016, 03:51 PM) *

It's been a while since I've visited, but saw this teener on the road on my way home a few days ago. I can't remember the last time I actually saw one on the road when it wasn't a show or some sort of event. My dream of owning one has been put on hold once again and may never happen, but I'll keep dreaming...

Click to view attachment

Hey that's me!!!

Click to view attachment
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(mramber @ Aug 9 2016, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 5 2016, 03:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey that's me!!!

Click to view attachment

Awesome, glad to see you are on here! I've noticed you a couple of times now on my way to and from work. Both times I've had to turn off my radio and roll down the window so I could hear the car.
mramber
Reading this post has me asking the obvious question... When are we going to organize a Minnesota 914 get together? beer3.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(mramber @ Aug 9 2016, 01:15 PM) *

Reading this post has me asking the obvious question... When are we going to organize a Minnesota 914 get together? beer3.gif

I could show up with my water cooled flat 4 (subaru forester) LOL.

Gunn1
I'm going to need a little time.

Or I could put mine on a trailer and pull it to the event.

Either way sounds like fun!
Rand
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Aug 9 2016, 01:04 PM) *

Given all the stromberg.gif I think the wisest decision you could possibly make is to put one of your 914s on a trailer and show up. Your former signature said you had several (what happened to them?). A move that big might actually start to get you enough cred to get unbanned. You need to pull out all the stops and make that happen. Or you can fail again and pound another nail in your coffin around here. So, what are you going to do?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 9 2016, 03:21 PM) *

Given all the stromberg.gif I think the wisest decision you could possibly make is to put one of your 914s on a trailer and show up. Your former signature said you had several (what happened to them?). A move that big might actually start to get you enough cred to get unbanned. You need to pull out all the stops and make that happen. Or you can fail again and pound another nail in your coffin around here. So, what are you going to do?

I think I missed something while I was away from the forums...
Gunn1

I do have four, they are all in the VIN data base. With complete descriptions.

In another thread I explained that I was going to take a break from the cars and put up a new shop. I really wish I could do both at the same time but with work and family obligations something has to give. Actually a lot of the members had great ideas which many I will incorporate into its build.

Rand
So you are copping out already right here and now in front of everyone? You said you'd bring one on a trailer. Bring it. We all know the shop is BS. Show up if you want to man up. Put up or show up.
Tick tock, goodbye.
Gunn1
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 9 2016, 03:55 PM) *

I think I missed something while I was away from the forums...

Yes you did miss something, not to pretty, but it's all on me. Shouldn't be brought up or reflect on your thread

Has nothing to do with you Iwanta or your Thread.

Thanks for sharing this sighting, maybe more Minnesotan's will chime in.

Gunn1
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 9 2016, 04:42 PM) *

So you are copping out already right here and now in front of everyone? You said you'd bring one on a trailer. Bring it. We all know the shop is BS. Show up if you want to man up. Put up or show up.
Tick tock, goodbye.

With all Due respect Mr. Rand,

On another Thread a while back I asked members how long they had been working on there cars.

Many well respected members on this forum have been working on them for decades, some have been sitting in a shed for decades. Can't quite remember the longest period but I want to say it was in the thirty year range. I thought it was a pretty cool thread.

Again this is a thread about Minnesota Sightings not about calling me out.
Optimusglen
I'm down for a MN meetup, car wont be driving for awhile though...
Gunn1
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 9 2016, 05:09 PM) *

I'm down for a MN meetup, car wont be driving for awhile though...

So maybe next spring?

Joe Bob
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Aug 9 2016, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 9 2016, 04:42 PM) *

Tick tock, goodbye.

With all Due respect Mr. Rand,

On another Thread a while back I asked members how long they had been working on there cars.

Many well respected members on this forum have been working on them for decades, some have been sitting in a shed for decades. Can't quite remember the longest period but I want to say it was in the thirty year range. I thought it was a pretty cool thread.

Again this is a thread about Minnesota Sightings not about calling me out.

I thought this weenie was banned already?

rick 918-S
I'm not defending anyone here but can we stay on topic? The Alien is on jack stands for this year.
914Subaru
Look close a 914. My son saw this one in Canal Park Duluth MN today. Very rare.
Click to view attachment
ottox914
I must be lucky. I see one at least every other day or so.

In my garage. On jack stands.
rudedude
That was my son's 914 in Duluth. It is now back home in Mpls for the winter. He drives it all the time when its warm enough.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rudedude @ Oct 21 2016, 03:11 PM) *

That was my son's 914 in Duluth. It is now back home in Mpls for the winter. He drives it all the time when its warm enough.

Look me up next time! bye1.gif
rudedude
I keep telling him to look you up, he is in pharmacy school up there, but he has a hard time "cold calling" someone he doesn't know. Hopefully he will find you as he loves working on his car, did a lot of metal work on a 356 we are restoring and could certainly learn some finishing skills you possess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.