Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel Gt rocker flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mb911
My newest project showing a bunch of students how to fabricate over the last few days.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mowog4
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 5 2016, 03:16 PM) *

My newest project showing a bunch of students how to fabricate over the last few days.

Those are awesome, are you interested in selling a set?
Ed
mb911
QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Aug 5 2016, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 5 2016, 03:16 PM) *

Those are awesome, are you interested in selling a set?
Ed

We could do a set for you. I Will have to come up with a cost..

Tuesday we are going to weld these to steel rockers and update this thread will what they look finished.. I have considered marketing these just like aj usa use to do for the 930 conversion s
914Sixer
Those are sweeeet !!!!
Mowog4
Very cool, let me know when you come up with a price and I will send you a paypal.
Thanks,
Ed
mb911
Will do.. I can't wait to finish and show the finished product..
Mowog4
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 5 2016, 04:16 PM) *

Will do.. I can't wait to finish and show the finished product..

It is exciting, I have so both the ABS and the Fiberglass pieces and they are pretty bad. I can work the steel to get the look I want. Send me a PM with pricing and I will get you some money. Thanks for doing this.
Ed
jim912928
I would be interested in a set also.
Mark Henry
Wouldn't be hard to do generic fit for GT flares, often one car will be different from the next. confused24.gif
db9146
I have a set of the ABS "Porsche" rockers on mine and while I really like the shape that flares out at the bottom, I'd gladly pay for a set of steel ones.

I might be interested as well depending on the final shape.
Mowog4
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 5 2016, 05:06 PM) *

Wouldn't be hard to do generic fit for GT flares, often one car will be different from the next. confused24.gif

From my perspective it is impossible to make a generic set, the upside of steel is I can rework it and make it perfect for my car. I have a preference to work in steel vs fiberglass. I have no clue how to work in ABS.
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 5 2016, 09:06 PM) *

Agree... One size does not fit all. sad.gif
Garland
agree.gif

And also those who buy a set, would have a interesting time putting them on.
Since they are buying them.

But still, in my 20's, I would've wanted a set. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
I'd be even more interested in a front valence without an oil cooler vent... idea.gif
mb911
I think the beauty of these is that they are steel and could be tweaked for fittment to their application. I think a great program would be to do an exchange program with people sending in their steel rockers we weld on the flared ends and sending back..

There will be variables based off of position on the rockers. The best way is rocker flares first then weld on the flares on the car.
Mowog4
I just want the ends, I will weld them on to my own original steel rockers.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 6 2016, 08:13 AM) *

I think the beauty of these is that they are steel and could be tweaked for fittment to their application. I think a great program would be to do an exchange program with people sending in their steel rockers we weld on the flared ends and sending back..

There will be variables based off of position on the rockers. The best way is rocker flares first then weld on the flares on the car.

I know not everyone will agree with me but I believe you weld the flares to the car first. The flares are structural and also a focal point to the wheel. Then you fit the rocker to the flare. The rocker is a trim piece.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 6 2016, 06:31 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 6 2016, 08:13 AM) *

I know not everyone will agree with me but I believe you weld the flares to the car first. The flares are structural and also a focal point to the wheel. Then you fit the rocker to the flare. The rocker is a trim piece.

+1, and don't forget to get the correct size of wheels that ones going to use- before you weld / cut those babies on the body. Trim is easier to mold vs the contour of the flares smile.gif
914forme
agree.gif

Also if you make the ends, it will allow others to do the same.

If you want a turn key product. Build templates that can be printed by the prospective customer then have them mark their flares to rocker panels with the correct template. While it is on their car, then they send them in, and your crew smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif aktion035.gif and after that you send back the final product.

Also takes the liability out of the equation since they or there shop made the markings.

Best way is to have the tub right there, you all spend the time fitting them. Another lesson learned.

Now onto my question, you teach metal bumping in a class - do tell, or PM me if you want to keep this thread clean.
gms
nice work Ben!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Aug 6 2016, 08:32 AM) *

This would be the best way to do this, sell the ends separately so the builder can custom align them to fit their flairs.

BTW Restoration design makes new stock outer rockers, would be an easy job to weld these on for a perfect GT rocker.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 6 2016, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Aug 6 2016, 08:32 AM) *

This would be the best way to do this, sell the ends separately so the builder can custom align them to fit their flairs.

BTW Restoration design makes new stock outer rockers, would be an easy job to weld these on for a perfect GT rocker.

Yes, I have 2 sets of them. They will make a great base for the flared ends. So much more durable than fiberglass.
dakotaewing
Hey Ben,

Good to see you found the world.
I'd be interested in a set of the ends as shown, pending price.
Send me a PM here or on Instagram once you determine price -

Thanks,

Thom Ewing
mb911
A couple of questions to answer. Yes I teach welding and fabrication at a local college. I teach how to properly use cnc brake presses,planishing hammers, English wheels, slip rollers, plate rollers, standard box and pan brakes, shot bags, shrinking and stretching metals.. I have done this for 16 years. Previous I was a welder fabricator in the avaitiob world along with rotax trained to rebuild all of their aviation engine types. Rebuilt 100s of them over the years. Along with that I had my Porsche only business where I designed and built all of the m&k exhaust.. So I guess metal working and engine builds have always been part of my life..

Now to these parts to be honest they take enough time to make that it maybe to costly to retail. I am not sure though. I would say that materials are probably only about 8 dollars per corner with the steel, blending disks, filler metals and argon. That said I believe labor is going to be about 1-1 1/2 hours per corner to make. So price might get up there. Maybe a group but and have laser cuts done Would be the best way to do this? That would help drive the price down
dakotaewing
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 6 2016, 03:44 PM) *

A couple of questions to answer. Yes I teach welding and fabrication at a local college. I teach how to properly use cnc brake presses,planishing hammers, English wheels, slip rollers, plate rollers, standard box and pan brakes, shot bags, shrinking and stretching metals.. I have done this for 16 years. Previous I was a welder fabricator in the avaitiob world along with rotax trained to rebuild all of their aviation engine types. Rebuilt 100s of them over the years. Along with that I had my Porsche only business where I designed and built all of the m&k exhaust.. So I guess metal working and engine builds have always been part of my life..

Now to these parts to be honest they take enough time to make that it maybe to costly to retail. I am not sure though. I would say that materials are probably only about 8 dollars per corner with the steel, blending disks, filler metals and argon. That said I believe labor is going to be about 1-1 1/2 hours per corner to make. So price might get up there. Maybe a group but and have laser cuts done Would be the best way to do this? That would help drive the price down

Most of the guys here that would want these will have some welding skills.
You could offer the cnc'd cut parts, as one option, and welded as another.
Cost difference would be the cost of your labor.
Each corner would need to be labeled if you simply sold the steel -
Again, just my .02 -
mb911
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Aug 6 2016, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 6 2016, 03:44 PM) *

Most of the guys here that would want these will have some welding skills.
You could offer the cnc'd cut parts, as one option, and welded as another.
Cost difference would be the cost of your labor.
Each corner would need to be labeled if you simply sold the steel -
Again, just my .02 -

The problem is that there is extensive forming that needs to be done and probably not by the novice. I have been doing this along time and it is not for the weekend warrior.
mepstein
Ben. Exactly what I've been looking for. I'm in for two sets. I don't need them right away but I want them. We'll work out the details. Thanks.
porbmw
Really dumb question

What did the factory do re their GT cars??? Did they fabricate steel...or use fiberglass, for weight and other issues?

mepstein
QUOTE(porbmw @ Aug 6 2016, 10:52 PM) *

Really dumb question

What did the factory do re their GT cars??? Did they fabricate steel...or use fiberglass, for weight and other issues?

I'm 99% sure they were glass.
dadaDaveed
Put me down for a set!
mb911
Here is a front shot. It lines up exactly where the fiberglass one lined up its all I have to go by but looks great.. Click to view attachment
jkb944t
I would be interested in a set of them if you proceed with them.

Jeff B
mb911
I am going to make sets for everyone that wants a set. I will probably do a group but type of system with a deposit to make them and a final payment when they are done. Should be able to come up with a price by the end of the week.
mb911
I am going to make sets for everyone that wants a set. I will probably do a group but type of system with a deposit to make them and a final payment when they are done. Should be able to come up with a price by the end of the week.
ben*james
Well, I'm a dreamer and I dream of having GT flares. Glad you are making this product!
ahycaramba
I was not happy about selling my nice set of steel rocker panels for fiber glass GT set up. This is a much more diserable alternative. Please count me in for one set.

Thanks
Al
Beach914
I'm in for a set for my 70 GT
rudedude
I'd take a set for my next project
eric914
I'm in for a set as well.
mharmon
I'm in for a set
Mowog4
QUOTE(mharmon @ Aug 10 2016, 08:08 AM) *

I'm in for a set

Are we getting close to taking orders yet?
mb911
Soon probably another week to get the process down so they can be reproduced exactly same each time.
mb911
I have not forgotten this project just busy with a few other projects and some vacation.. These are still coming..
23e Heure
I'm interested in a 2 sets of 'ends' if this goes ahead
larryM
interesting

- my GT (0919) from Germany has steel flared rockers - no seams - no welds

clearly they were stamped that way, oem 916 prototype, best i can discern
(as are a few other pieces on my car)

as i posted elsewhere recently - there is virtually no 914/6-GT part (including VINs) that cannot be reproduced and purchased now-a-days

this is gonna further confuse the marketplace, but maybe make conversion and tribute cars more valuable ??

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 5 2016, 04:16 PM) *

My newest project

Mowog4
Did this ever go anywhere?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Sep 17 2016, 02:56 PM) *

Did this ever go anywhere?

See post #44
mb911
It is still coming but heat exchangers are taken front burner now.. We will be ramping these up over the next few months..
76-914
I want a local (to me) college that offers welding classes with an instructor like yourself. I've never lived close to any institution that offers these classes, my Dad was white collar my personality keeps most peeps at arms length so I've had to teach myself welding and it shows. av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.