Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Request from SLITS' Family
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JustinMeier
Hi everyone,

It's been great reading through the memorial thread. You guys can't believe how much it helped to read about all the people he touched through the years with his knowledge and humor. You guys were truly special to him, and I thank you greatly for including the old abrasive softy in to your lives. Please don't forget that Dad continues to live on in all of you!

The story is this....
He arrived at work Wed morning and couldn't get out of the truck, complaining about abdominal pain. Work called 911 and when the ambulance arrived, in true spirit he asked "What the hell are they doing here?!"
The Paramedics and ER staff got him all the way to surgery which was amazing being that the rupture was 13cm. The size of the cut they made in his chest (almost all the way down the torso) indicated that they were in a major hurry to get the bleeding under control. There was also a large needle mark in his juggler which we assume was to deliver either blood or fluids in a rapid manner. The hospital really tried, unfortunately the blood loss was just too much.

Since Dad was such a giving man and loved to help people, we decided to donate. The unfortunate part is that we were too late to harvest organs, but then again I'm not sure anyone would want them (liver especially) wink.gif
Long bones (arm and leg) were donated so that someone with cancer or a bone disease can walk or use their arm again. Corneas were also donated so that someone with vision loss can see again. On the way out he's going to help a few more people have a better quality of life.

Us kids did a viewing yesterday and you will all be happy to know he still has a shit eating grin on his face. It looks like he went out happy. He got to see his kids grow up and start their lives, finally saw me get my crap together.

So we are looking for some of your favorite pictures/videos for our collection. Either post or email to me justinmeier@gmail.com

Thank you guys!!!!

- Justin

p.s. Dad wanted to send along a message.. finger.gif bootyshake.gif
horizontally-opposed
Justin,

I don't know you and didn't know your dad, but I can tell I love you and him.

I'm so sorry for your loss. But thanks for the grin this morning. We just lost someone close in our family, and he had this grin on him at the viewing, too. And I am certain he would wholeheartedly endorse your message above from the other side.

pete
Larmo63
Thank you for that update. I can tell you have the same wit and humor that your Dad has.

I used 'has' because he will live on in our memories for many years to come, but our swaps, drives, and car shows won't be quite the same without him.
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
SharonG
Hey Justin,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I considered Ron a friend and will see what other photos I can find to forward.

Please consider attending the 914 Red Rocks Classic event (link here). I'm not sure if Ron ever missed it. It won't be the same without him.
MoveQik
Thank you for the update.

As far as I know...this is one of only two times we were ever able to document Slits actually attempting to clean his car...and he was pissed about it! biggrin.gif

Red Rocks Classic 2007

IPB Image
iankarr
Hi Justin,

We've never met. And I've never even met your dad. But you're family.

I lost my dad on Thanksgiving 2013 and I know how surreal the experience is. And my Dad was sick for a while so it didn't come as a surprise. I can only imagine how much harder it must be when it's sudden.

Please know that you're not alone. Your dad obviously loved you and cared deeply about others. He didn't really leave...he just moved to a place where you need to communicate with him differently.

I hope that you keep his car and carry on (and carry on) like he would have. Keeping your family in our thoughts...

Ian
ndfrigi
Hi Justin,

Prayed for late Ron's family for comfort and peace!
A few pics from last 2015 route 66 event at Palm Springs

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JustinMeier
QUOTE(SharonG @ Aug 6 2016, 09:06 AM) *

Hey Justin,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I considered Ron a friend and will see what other photos I can find to forward.

Please consider attending the 914 Red Rocks Classic event (link here). I'm not sure if Ron ever missed it. It won't be the same without him.

Thank you!

That was the plan, we have family in Mancos and Cortez so it will be good to see them too. We should have the smokescreen kit on Dad's car uninstalled by then too.
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
Toast
You got it Justin! Thank your for explaining what happened. I can totally see him saying that! laugh.gif

Here are a couple I will email to you, but will post them here for others to enjoy too. This is from Atomic Ramble 2007.

This is a rare one. Think its the only time I ever actually saw him play pool.
Click to view attachment
And then this started....
Click to view attachment
And I think this was his his last beer that night.....the one he just dropped out of his hand and didnt even notice. Followed by his pants, and then got hauled off in the drunk van. drunk.gif laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
914_teener
Hey Justin….

Don’t have a lot of pictures of your Dad but more experiences I think for me. I include the story and the one pic I have. Sorry for the long post folks but it’s what I have to share.

Been a lot happening in my life right now as life happens, but I thought this morning I’d take some time after reading your post, and learning of your Dad’s passing on to the next road. He gave to others so I thought it I’d pass this little story along.

I first met your Dad about two years after I had divorced. I lost almost all the material things in my life except for the 914 and the house I was living in and a lot of “friends” that I no longer consider real friends today.

To keep myself busy, and meet other people, I started working on my car and joined the community here on line and a few other car clubs. I saw your Dad’s post one day about the then G&R swap meet that he and Glen used to have in Riverside at the yard, and decided that anyone who wrote with such “elegance” would be someone that must be “interesting” to meet.

My immediate reaction talking to Ron was …” kind of an asshole”… and then immediately after “I think I like him” . He then invited me to come by the yard on any Sunday he was there, to work on my car if I needed to.

Years later, I needed the 914 for a special event, and the rear caliper was sticking and needed to be replaced. No time to get it from PMB. I sent him a message and took him up on his offer to the yard and help me fix it. So we did, except that one adjuster was broken. So in tradition as the type of person your Dad was, he gave me a caliper he had laying around and just gave it to me. Wouldn’t accept anything for it.

Right after it was finished the newest friend I had found driving around town in my 914 pulled up in a bright red 350Z ….my finance. We had met out of interest in cars. Right away your Dad started talking about the Nissan 350Z , the motor, the sameness of the parts, what other models it had in common…. Later in conversation with my bride to be after meeting Ron, she said this….”kinda of an asshole”…..”but I like him”.

We got married in the car a week later. Yes....that's right..... in the car. I have pictures of that...but these stories are about how your Dad life intersected others so I'm not posting that one here.

The next story was interesting too. The driver is a really nice guy here so he’ll remain nameless as I think he might want that.

Click to view attachment

This happened on one of our “events” we went on. The story here about your Dad is that there he was…..same thing…talking about that the car could be saved, what parts were good………you know the story. I caught the picture at a time where he (and everyone else) thought we could actually get it off that rock. He believed the car was fixable. There was no cell service up there. So being the person he was and is…drove the owner down so he could phone and stayed with him for the tow truck.

So here is to you Ron….and your Dad Justin…..and just like opinions…..and you know what else……….

Everyone wishes they had a little Ron in their life.

God speed to you Ron and God bless your family Justin and our little 914 World.

Rob and Susan
Rand
Awesome story, Rob! wub.gif
Ok, now I'm going to tease you, as I think Ron would have. Do you see where you said "finance?" LOL. I'm guessing that was spellchanger (fiance) and not a Freudian slip. biggrin.gif Classic.

So great to see people sharing these memories. A testament to the man.
914_teener
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 6 2016, 10:56 AM) *

Ok, now I'm going to tease you, as I think Ron would have. Do you see where you said "finance?" LOL. I'm guessing that was spellchanger (fiance) and not a Freudian slip. biggrin.gif Classic.

Nope.....on purpose....no spell checker.....I knew someone would see it.
Rand
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 6 2016, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 6 2016, 10:56 AM) *

Nope.....on purpose....no spell checker.....I knew someone would see it.

biggrin.gif Well played, sir. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
Here he is in one of his non-asshole moments. laugh.gif My favorite pic of SLITS. (Notice more than one finger raised).
messix
Slits must have not liked me..... he was never an ass hole to me .... shades.gif laugh.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 6 2016, 08:41 AM) *

Hi everyone,

It's been great reading through the memorial thread. You guys can't believe how much it helped to read about all the people he touched through the years with his knowledge and humor. You guys were truly special to him, and I thank you greatly for including the old abrasive softy in to your lives. Please don't forget that Dad continues to live on in all of you!

The story is this....
He arrived at work Wed morning and couldn't get out of the truck, complaining about abdominal pain. Work called 911 and when the ambulance arrived, in true spirit he asked "What the hell are they doing here?!"
The Paramedics and ER staff got him all the way to surgery which was amazing being that the rupture was 13cm. The size of the cut they made in his chest (almost all the way down the torso) indicated that they were in a major hurry to get the bleeding under control. There was also a large needle mark in his juggler which we assume was to deliver either blood or fluids in a rapid manner. The hospital really tried, unfortunately the blood loss was just too much.

Since Dad was such a giving man and loved to help people, we decided to donate. The unfortunate part is that we were too late to harvest organs, but then again I'm not sure anyone would want them (liver especially) wink.gif
Long bones (arm and leg) were donated so that someone with cancer or a bone disease can walk or use their arm again. Corneas were also donated so that someone with vision loss can see again. On the way out he's going to help a few more people have a better quality of life.

Us kids did a viewing yesterday and you will all be happy to know he still has a shit eating grin on his face. It looks like he went out happy. He got to see his kids grow up and start their lives, finally saw me get my crap together.

So we are looking for some of your favorite pictures/videos for our collection. Either post or email to me justinmeier@gmail.com

Thank you guys!!!!

- Justin

p.s. Dad wanted to send along a message.. finger.gif bootyshake.gif

Dammit, must be allergic to something in the air. My eyes are all watery.

Justin, I never met your dad, and wish I would have. You have my heartfelt condolences.
ThePaintedMan
Justin,
I too, never met SLITS in person, being an east-coast guy. But I lost my dad almost 1 year ago. From what I know about Ron, my dad and he would have definitely gotten along. Free spirits, if there ever were any.

As a "younger" guy here, your dad never made me feel dumb, despite his "asshole" moniker. In fact, he often encouraged me along in my own endeavors. When I'm gone, I'd be honored to be considered half the man that he was.
beerchug.gif finger.gif
EdwardBlume
I lost my 914 Dad 20 years ago. You'll keep your Dad with you for the rest of your life. The good ones stay with us. God Bless.
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 6 2016, 12:11 PM) *

Slits must have not liked me..... he was never an ass hole to me .... shades.gif laugh.gif

agree.gif
Lou W
Justin,
Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing him with all of us, he was a good guy, even though he came across the way he did at times. He will be sorely missed :-)
sixnotfour
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 6 2016, 10:09 AM) *

I think he really tried Hard Not to get "That Guy" that year ,,how do I know ???

Rip
sixnotfour
Another thing is who the fuch did he think was going to call him ? some large core deposit got unearthed somewhere and need to know about it STAT... yes I am upset with SLITS..

although he did ride along in spirit on a road trip at half mast UT to Washington, and back..... It was memorial for me...
SharonG
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 6 2016, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(SharonG @ Aug 6 2016, 09:06 AM) *

Hey Justin,

Thank you!

That was the plan, we have family in Mancos and Cortez so it will be good to see them too. We should have the smokescreen kit on Dad's car uninstalled by then too.

Good to hear! Looking forward to seeing you. smile.gif
colingreene
QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 6 2016, 10:13 PM) *

Justin,
Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing him with all of us, he was a good guy, even though he came across the way he did at times. He will be sorely missed :-)

where was that picture on the street taken?
Lou W
QUOTE(colingreene @ Aug 7 2016, 05:22 PM) *

Justin,

where was that picture on the street taken?

Joe Sharp's Team NARP and So Cal Contingent Headquarters Huntington Beach CA
mgp4591
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 7 2016, 01:00 AM) *

Another thing is who the fuch did he think was going to call him ? some large core deposit got unearthed somewhere and need to know about it STAT... yes I am upset with SLITS..

although he did ride along in spirit on a road trip at half mast UT to Washington, and back..... It was memorial for me...

Nice one Jeff! aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
over the years Ive done some trades , buy,sell, holdmyBeer stuff with Ron and don't forget his partner Glenn...silent that is.
any how..one time I bought a motor and we dropped it out the core way..
here is some stuff he said about it all..

Horward commented 2006.

It'll buff out... chairfall.gif

Hey, it looks a good as the car it was in.

Naw....bead blast them....they'll look like NOS.
You may have to do a bit of welding on the rods though.
sixnotfour
same trip I picked this one up also ,,when I compared the 2 different types of engine removal,,Slits replied..

Yer welcome.....at one time my lift was more expensive............. biggrin.gif

What's this yeep shit Joe? It was an assdragger...when the weight was removed from it's ass, it fell on it's face.....are you listenin' HOWIE?
Sleepin
When I get access to the laptop instead of this phone, I will type more up on the story of the Half-Six that your Dad helped me with. I learned so much from him and he dedicated way to many hours at the event working on this...

Oh, and you may find this award sitting on a shelf...if it comes up....please let me know! smile.gif

sixnotfour
Eric , that poor 914 may always be half six..its nonop again ..
fresh Utah rebuild gone bad ..
like slits says ..its harsh
sixnotfour
ref, Nacho, Daisy

Sleepin:"Jeff, if you picked up Daisy right now, she would look like Nacho."

sixnotfour; Thanks Ron for letting me clean your engine bay with my arms = black

Slits; You're welcome .... thanks for making me remember how to set a dizzy up when the timing is lost. I think the image of you picking up your GoPro was funny!!!!!

Anyway, made it to Riverslime at 7 PM with one minor vapor lock in Vegas. It was 110 in the desert and the a/c in my car stopped working lol-2.gif (90 mph, windows down, armpits up)

Good times .... wish I could remember what happened Friday nite after the Tequila and Maker's Mark. Why is my head sore?

Black is the new Green.
sixnotfour
Sep 10 2014, 08:28 PM

Post #22

Remembering Howie

sixnotfour
Toast and Slits ..Late Arrival story....
JustinMeier
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 6 2016, 08:48 AM) *

Justin,

I don't know you and didn't know your dad, but I can tell I love you and him.

I'm so sorry for your loss. But thanks for the grin this morning. We just lost someone close in our family, and he had this grin on him at the viewing, too. And I am certain he would wholeheartedly endorse your message above from the other side.

pete

You're welcome! It was nice seeing the grin, actually lightened the mood smile.gif My condolences on your loss as well!

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 6 2016, 08:55 AM) *

Thank you for that update. I can tell you have the same wit and humor that your Dad has.

I used 'has' because he will live on in our memories for many years to come, but our swaps, drives, and car shows won't be quite the same without him.

I'm a tiny bit more reserved, I do pack my dignity on trips which I hope to make it out to in the coming future wink.gif

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 6 2016, 09:05 AM) *

Thanks!

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 6 2016, 09:15 AM) *

Thank you for the update.

As far as I know...this is one of only two times we were ever able to document Slits actually attempting to clean his car...and he was pissed about it! biggrin.gif

Red Rocks Classic 2007

But you're on a road trip, it's just going to get filthy again biggrin.gif

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Aug 6 2016, 09:17 AM) *

Hi Justin,

We've never met. And I've never even met your dad. But you're family.

I lost my dad on Thanksgiving 2013 and I know how surreal the experience is. And my Dad was sick for a while so it didn't come as a surprise. I can only imagine how much harder it must be when it's sudden.

Please know that you're not alone. Your dad obviously loved you and cared deeply about others. He didn't really leave...he just moved to a place where you need to communicate with him differently.

I hope that you keep his car and carry on (and carry on) like he would have. Keeping your family in our thoughts...

Ian

The car is staying in the family. Mom, sis and I dearly love it and it's not going anywhere except events and our driveways!

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 6 2016, 09:39 AM) *

Hi Justin,

Prayed for late Ron's family for comfort and peace!
A few pics from last 2015 route 66 event at Palm Springs

Thank you!

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 6 2016, 10:09 AM) *

Thank you!

QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 6 2016, 10:15 AM) *

You got it Justin! Thank your for explaining what happened. I can totally see him saying that! laugh.gif

Text me, we can talk... I've never had an opinion one way or another on things.

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 6 2016, 10:39 AM) *

Hey Justin….

Don’t have a lot of pictures of your Dad but more experiences I think for me. I include the story and the one pic I have. Sorry for the long post folks but it’s what I have to share.

Been a lot happening in my life right now as life happens, but I thought this morning I’d take some time after reading your post, and learning of your Dad’s passing on to the next road. He gave to others so I thought it I’d pass this little story along.

I first met your Dad about two years after I had divorced. I lost almost all the material things in my life except for the 914 and the house I was living in and a lot of “friends” that I no longer consider real friends today.

To keep myself busy, and meet other people, I started working on my car and joined the community here on line and a few other car clubs. I saw your Dad’s post one day about the then G&R swap meet that he and Glen used to have in Riverside at the yard, and decided that anyone who wrote with such “elegance” would be someone that must be “interesting” to meet.

My immediate reaction talking to Ron was …” kind of an asshole”… and then immediately after “I think I like him” . He then invited me to come by the yard on any Sunday he was there, to work on my car if I needed to.

Years later, I needed the 914 for a special event, and the rear caliper was sticking and needed to be replaced. No time to get it from PMB. I sent him a message and took him up on his offer to the yard and help me fix it. So we did, except that one adjuster was broken. So in tradition as the type of person your Dad was, he gave me a caliper he had laying around and just gave it to me. Wouldn’t accept anything for it.

Right after it was finished the newest friend I had found driving around town in my 914 pulled up in a bright red 350Z ….my finance. We had met out of interest in cars. Right away your Dad started talking about the Nissan 350Z , the motor, the sameness of the parts, what other models it had in common…. Later in conversation with my bride to be after meeting Ron, she said this….”kinda of an asshole”…..”but I like him”.

We got married in the car a week later. Yes....that's right..... in the car. I have pictures of that...but these stories are about how your Dad life intersected others so I'm not posting that one here.

The next story was interesting too. The driver is a really nice guy here so he’ll remain nameless as I think he might want that.

This happened on one of our “events” we went on. The story here about your Dad is that there he was…..same thing…talking about that the car could be saved, what parts were good………you know the story. I caught the picture at a time where he (and everyone else) thought we could actually get it off that rock. He believed the car was fixable. There was no cell service up there. So being the person he was and is…drove the owner down so he could phone and stayed with him for the tow truck.

So here is to you Ron….and your Dad Justin…..and just like opinions…..and you know what else……….

Everyone wishes they had a little Ron in their life.

God speed to you Ron and God bless your family Justin and our little 914 World.

Rob and Susan

"Kind of an asshole" followed by "I like him" is a usual response. Think of him as an M&M.. Hard outer shell, soft goodness inside.. hah.

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 6 2016, 11:08 AM) *

Here he is in one of his non-asshole moments. laugh.gif My favorite pic of SLITS. (Notice more than one finger raised).

Wow, look.. One I can use at his funeral av-943.gif
Naa, I'll use them all, including the mooning picture.

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 6 2016, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 6 2016, 09:37 PM) *

agree.gif

There might have been some people he liked too much to harass or molest.. Well, maybe not but I'm sure he still liked you two biggrin.gif

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 6 2016, 12:23 PM) *

Dammit, must be allergic to something in the air. My eyes are all watery.

Justin, I never met your dad, and wish I would have. You have my heartfelt condolences.

I'd take some Benadryl but be careful not fall asleep around me... Fair warning biggrin.gif

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 6 2016, 01:00 PM) *

Justin,
I too, never met SLITS in person, being an east-coast guy. But I lost my dad almost 1 year ago. From what I know about Ron, my dad and he would have definitely gotten along. Free spirits, if there ever were any.

As a "younger" guy here, your dad never made me feel dumb, despite his "asshole" moniker. In fact, he often encouraged me along in my own endeavors. When I'm gone, I'd be honored to be considered half the man that he was.
beerchug.gif finger.gif

Stunning endorsement and I too hope to be just as giving and helpful!!

QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 6 2016, 06:07 PM) *

I lost my 914 Dad 20 years ago. You'll keep your Dad with you for the rest of your life. The good ones stay with us. God Bless.

He'll always be around watching me and calling me butt head... Hah

Justin,

Thank you guys for putting up with it.. lol.. You all deserve awards!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 6 2016, 11:55 PM) *

I think he really tried Hard Not to get "That Guy" that year ,,how do I know ???

Rip

I found that award... Very fitting.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 7 2016, 12:00 AM) *

Yeah, you should see how much stuff there is.. All the good stuff is mine biggrin.gif

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 8 2016, 01:52 AM) *

over the years Ive done some trades , buy,sell, holdmyBeer stuff with Ron and don't forget his partner Glenn...silent that is.
any how..one time I bought a motor and we dropped it out the core way..
here is some stuff he said about it all..

Horward commented 2006.

It'll buff out... chairfall.gif

Hey, it looks a good as the car it was in.

Naw....bead blast them....they'll look like NOS.
You may have to do a bit of welding on the rods though.

Glen is awesome.. I should probably call him, thanks for the reminder!

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 8 2016, 05:36 AM) *

When I get access to the laptop instead of this phone, I will type more up on the story of the Half-Six that your Dad helped me with. I learned so much from him and he dedicated way to many hours at the event working on this...

Oh, and you may find this award sitting on a shelf...if it comes up....please let me know! smile.gif

I found it. That was the 1st thing I grabbed and boxed at the office. I also have his "That Guy" award, Kurvenmeister emblem as well as t-shirts and anything 914 related.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 8 2016, 08:58 AM) *

Sleepin:"Jeff, if you picked up Daisy right now, she would look like Nacho."

sixnotfour; Thanks Ron for letting me clean your engine bay with my arms = black

Slits; You're welcome .... thanks for making me remember how to set a dizzy up when the timing is lost. I think the image of you picking up your GoPro was funny!!!!!

Anyway, made it to Riverslime at 7 PM with one minor vapor lock in Vegas. It was 110 in the desert and the a/c in my car stopped working lol-2.gif (90 mph, windows down, armpits up)

Good times .... wish I could remember what happened Friday nite after the Tequila and Maker's Mark. Why is my head sore?

Black is the new Green.

Wait.. AC? WTF?
Sleepin
I found it. That was the 1st thing I grabbed and boxed at the office. I also have his "That Guy" award, Kurvenmeister emblem as well as t-shirts and anything 914 related.

I'm very glad! I made that for him as a lifetime achievement award! Pretty much everyone at RRC got to see how emotional I can get during a speech.....great times!
JustinMeier
Next question.... Where did SLITS come from? Or better question, do I want to know?
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 8 2016, 09:56 AM) *

I'm very glad! I made that for him as a lifetime achievement award! Pretty much everyone at RRC got to see how emotional I can get during a speech.....great times!

It's going somewhere safe, it's one of the cherished things.
sixnotfour
I think the image of you picking up your GoPro was funny!!!!!

Eric's, Gopro ,,I swerved to miss it ..
Sleepin
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 8 2016, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 8 2016, 09:56 AM) *

It's going somewhere safe, it's one of the cherished things.

Excellent! Thanks Justin!
sixnotfour
Justin...
a lot of the pics I posted are well from a weekend once a year,,
I believe its more altitude sickness than anything..ya that's it..
Myself and others have plenty of too fun pics of our selves, or are paying to keep em on the down lowww.

That Guy --Ron Meier.."Slits" 24/7 is That Guy who will do anything for his friends and even lessors, that are in need or want an opinion or statement or whatever .
That Guy, Ron to me is a Classic One of a Kind..
So Long until I see you again.. grouphug.gif grouphug.gif
Madswede
Here are some pics. This one is from RRC 2007 (Ron is watching Joe O'Brien put a wheel on his backup car, a Delphi Green "Lucky" '73 that is now, I believe, residing some 20 feet above the ground in Joe's shop (Series9) in Florida. I believe Ron was offering very useful advice at this point. lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment
Madswede
And these are from Rt66 2009 ... I took more pictures at this event. A certain lady who shall remain nameless won the "that guy award" and proved its sexist naming convention was no obstacle for a properly motivated and talented woman to win it outright. av-943.gif

Ron had nothing to do with that incident, as the pictures will show. Sort of. I think.

The calm before the storm...but Toast's hair was on end.
Click to view attachment

Shocker. Somebody spilled something in Neverland.
Click to view attachment

It must have been Ron...
Click to view attachment

Not enough, gotta go to the local bar...
Click to view attachment

Still standing ... more or less.
Click to view attachment

A hangover drive and I didn't even get the finger! WTF?!
Click to view attachment

Aww. wub.gif
Click to view attachment
Madswede
From RRC 2011. This is the final picture I have to post, and although Ron may not even be in it (I think he is, in the upper center-right) this is a very notable picture for the following reasons:
(1) It was taken from the balcony of Ron's room, which was a bitch to get him up into later in the evening ... but I'm getting ahead of myself.
(2) It was prophetic since Ron would, at some point in the evening, be seen by several eye witnesses to stumble in one single continuous fall, from out of the frame of this picture (the bottom of the pic) all the way through the the area this photo shows, missing the fire pit, all the tiki torches or whatever they were, both of the tables, even missing the propane tank before finally rolling smoothly to the ground to end the most epic 20-yard fall ever seen at a RRC up to that point. Do NOT try this stuff at home, kids.
(3) It shows the explosive Corona beer 12-pack that led to the notorious "fire pit incident" that also, somehow, managed to throw burning embers and glass all over the area but not so much as scratch any of the remaining eye witnesses. Witnesses at this RRC used up much of their cosmic luck and fortune this single evening. Also of note is that an object discovered in that same fire pit later the next morning, believed to be the largest surviving remnant of the explosive Corona 12-pack, was eventually written on and became an early "That Guy" award. Dunno whatever happened to that thing. I thought Ron himself had it and kept it, but my memory is ... uhh ... hazy.

Click to view attachment
a914luvr
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 8 2016, 09:59 AM) *

Next question.... Where did SLITS come from? Or better question, do I want to know?

My understanding is the name was adopted or given to him because when he got buzzed, his eyes started looking more like SLITS.

For those of you who drove an "ass-dragger" to one of our 914 swaps or over to Ron's place for whatever reason, I'm sure he threatened to part it out if you turned your back on your 911!
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Madswede @ Aug 8 2016, 05:22 PM) *

From RRC 2011. This is the final picture I have to post, and although Ron may not even be in it (I think he is, in the upper center-right) this is a very notable picture for the following reasons:
(1) It was taken from the balcony of Ron's room, which was a bitch to get him up into later in the evening ... but I'm getting ahead of myself.
(2) It was prophetic since Ron would, at some point in the evening, be seen by several eye witnesses to stumble in one single continuous fall, from out of the frame of this picture (the bottom of the pic) all the way through the the area this photo shows, missing the fire pit, all the tiki torches or whatever they were, both of the tables, even missing the propane tank before finally rolling smoothly to the ground to end the most epic 20-yard fall ever seen at a RRC up to that point. Do NOT try this stuff at home, kids.
(3) It shows the explosive Corona beer 12-pack that led to the notorious "fire pit incident" that also, somehow, managed to throw burning embers and glass all over the area but not so much as scratch any of the remaining eye witnesses. Witnesses at this RRC used up much of their cosmic luck and fortune this single evening. Also of note is that an object discovered in that same fire pit later the next morning, believed to be the largest surviving remnant of the explosive Corona 12-pack, was eventually written on and became an early "That Guy" award. Dunno whatever happened to that thing. I thought Ron himself had it and kept it, but my memory is ... uhh ... hazy.

Click to view attachment

Yes! This is the story I was looking for!!

Yes, he had it.. I have it now biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
notice all the young peeps hangin with him. he could of led them over a cliff ..Lemmings
a914luvr
I'm going to post a new thread about this too but also wanted to post here.

Services for our friend Ron aka SLITS will be at Desert Lawn Funeral Home & Memorial Park this Saturday the 13th at 11:30 AM. There will be a small reception afterwards as well. The address is; 11251 Desert Lawn Dr., Calimesa, CA 92320

Let's pack the parking lot with 914's!
Toast
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 8 2016, 09:59 AM) *

There is but one person still with us that knows the true story of where this name came from. happy11.gif

toast.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.