Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Accelerator Linkage Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb944t
I have the throttle linkage hooked up but it seems like the linkage rod is too long by almost two inches for some reason. The linkage rod is brand new and it is an OEM Porsche part.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I believe it is hooked up correctly but maybe someone will see the problem.

Jeff B
Luke M
The problem that I see is that the bellcrank post is mounted on the trans case.
The 914-6 post is mounted in the intermediate plate which could result in the length issue that you are having.

look at the attached pic.
jkb944t
Thanks, I never thought of that since the shaft was already in that position when I bought the car. Obviously moving the pivot shaft location would correct the problem.

Any idea how difficult it is going to be to move the pivot shaft to the correct location in the intermediate plate?

Jeff B
porschetub
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 7 2016, 10:21 AM) *

I have the throttle linkage hooked up but it seems like the linkage rod is too long by almost two inches for some reason. The linkage rod is brand new and it is an OEM Porsche part.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I believe it is hooked up correctly but maybe someone will see the problem.

Jeff B

Is it genuine for a six ?....didn't know you could still buy them,I used a 911 one cut at the rod and shortened where in goes over the driveshaft,locked in in place with a set screw.
Seems your only solution if you are using a side shift box without the pivot in the intermediate plate.
rgalla9146
The right way is to change the intermediate plate to an early one that has the boss on it for the pivot shaft. Early inter plates are readily available from tailshift transes.
If your pivot shaft is securely mounted (to what ?) and square to the case the best way out is to ......eeeeeh..... shorten the rod.
gereed75
It is easy enough to fab a bracket that can mount to the back of the trans that you can use to mount the bell rank pivot to. Search and you shall find.

The bracket can be made to mount the pivot in its original correct location and all the stock stuff will work.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 6 2016, 11:53 PM) *

It is easy enough to fab a bracket that can mount to the back of the trans that you can use to mount the bell rank pivot to. Search and you shall find.

The bracket can be made to mount the pivot in its original correct location and all the stock stuff will work.

agree.gif and that is the cheapest fix.
The correct intermediate plate requires disassembly of the trans, resetting the R&P, etc.
Luke M
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 6 2016, 06:34 PM) *

Thanks, I never thought of that since the shaft was already in that position when I bought the car. Obviously moving the pivot shaft location would correct the problem.

Any idea how difficult it is going to be to move the pivot shaft to the correct location in the intermediate plate?

Jeff B

Jeff,

The best and cheapest way (like some have stated) is to make up a bracket that mounts to the tail housing. I made one up for my brothers 6 conv and it was pretty easy to do. It took about 2 hours to make the bracket out of some left over steel stock that I had around. You have the 6 throttle parts that you would need already. Go to your favorite hardware store and pick up some steel stock. You will need to bend/form the steel around the bottom of the housing and have to trim a few spots. Weld it up, paint and install it.. I've attached a few pics of a factory 6 box (for the pivot shaft location) and the bracket that I made up.
t collins
If you don't want to fab the bracket you can get one from Rich Johnson in the member vendor section (a914guy)
Click to view attachment
Perry Kiehl Clone
I'll chime in to agree with everyone that's told you about the pivot pin location. One of Rich's brackets will probably be the most straight forward way to go.
jkb944t
Thanks everyone for so awesome information!

As much as I want to switch out the intermediate plate I agree that at this point in time I should just fabricate a mount to place the bell crank in the correct location.

Since I already have a mounting hole previously tapped into the case I think I will design a mount that is a bit of a hybrid of the ones everyone has shown above. I’ll post pictures once it is done.

Jeff B
wndsnd
I am using Rich Johnson's as well. He is a top notch vendor for six conversion parts and is a stand up guy. The quality of his provided parts are exceptional.
porschetub
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 8 2016, 11:47 PM) *

Thanks everyone for so awesome information!

As much as I want to switch out the intermediate plate I agree that at this point in time I should just fabricate a mount to place the bell crank in the correct location.

Since I already have a mounting hole previously tapped into the case I think I will design a mount that is a bit of a hybrid of the ones everyone has shown above. I’ll post pictures once it is done.

Jeff B

Jeff you can pick up on the hole you already have tapped into the gearbox,you could do what Luke M suggested and fab a bracket but depends on your skills,personally I would just shorten the link rod ,much easier.

Click to view attachment

I did however change my bellcrank a little and went ass about face to how ever body else go's about this,throttle action is great having said that.
patssle
he best and cheapest way (like some have stated) is to make up a bracket that mounts to the tail housing.

The even cheaper way is to run the cable directly to the carbs! I'm doing that with a /4 cable and no issues.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(t collins @ Aug 7 2016, 06:29 AM) *

If you don't want to fab the bracket you can get one from Rich Johnson in the member vendor section (a914guy)
Click to view attachment

Here is another version of Rich's mounts.

jkb944t
Below is what I ended fabricating last night and it is extremely rigid so I am satisfied with the outcome for now. Someday I may switch the intermediate plate out with the correct one but this is a good solution too.

Click to view attachment

It was simple to make and it will keep me moving forward on finishing up the motor installation.

Everyone’s input was extremely valuable in coming up with a quick and effective solution. The linkage now works as intended!

Jeff B
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 9 2016, 03:54 AM) *

Below is what I ended fabricating last night and it is extremely rigid so I am satisfied with the outcome for now. Someday I may switch the intermediate plate out with the correct one but this is a good solution too.

Click to view attachment

It was simple to make and it will keep me moving forward on finishing up the motor installation.

Everyone’s input was extremely valuable in coming up with a quick and effective solution. The linkage now works as intended!

Jeff B

In my opinion, don't go to the intermediate plate mount. The bolt can only be required to the point that it doesn't bind the pivoting function, so you're relying only on some loctite to keep it in. Mine worked loose too easily. It really needs a thin locknut to bind it in place IMO. Your bracket is superior to the original system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.