Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel delivery help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
FastFroggy
Looking for any additional insight into possible things gone wrong.

Let me first start with the fact that I did not build the car and the builder/owner are not available for insight.

* two weeks ago, the green monster ran great no issues to local cars and coffee.
* yesterday morning was unable to start and based on evidence, issue is lack of fuel to carburetors.

Further investigation has evidence that I have no fuel at my 45s fuel pump nor before and after the Mallory fuel filter ahead of the pump.

I had over 7 gallons of fuel in the tank so I am completely baffled as to how I would get no fuel on the inlet to fuel filter that I believe is direct gravity fed from stock fuel tank.

It looks like I need to pull the fuel tank to unstained what is going on. Let me know if I should check anything else???

Thanks
Cracker
It *could* be debris clogging a stock tank - odd that it ran well a short time ago though. Debris in 914 tanks is a fairly common issue. Where is the fuel filter mounted (or hanging)?

Also, the tank is vented, correct?

Tony
FastFroggy
Yeah... feels like my next step is to pull the fuel tank... Ugh.

camera shots into the tank show it in good condition for a 40 year old.

not sure i understand what you mean by vented. I am running carb conversion with an inline fuel pump.
Cracker
Ok but is the filter literally below the tank?

T
FastFroggy
yes
Cracker
Ok. Stating the obvious here...if the line/filter are below the tank (and it is vented), either there is debris causing a clog or a severely kinked line. If nothing else has changed, the line is unlikely. I've had to pull my tank many, many times - not the end of the world. Let us know what you find please...

Tony
FastFroggy
Partially pulled the tank to verify fuel system config is straight forward.

I did find a mild obstruction in the tank that seems to have pulled thru when I disconnected the filter inlet. I now at least have fuel on both sides of the filter and fuel pump. But the problem is that i still get nothing at the carburetors.

I now think the fuel pump is on its way out. so I am going to replace it and put in a new filter.

Question is, How do you clean out the fuel tank strainer.... mine looks like there is a little accumulation. And I am concerned about sealing it with it in place.

wndsrfr
QUOTE(FastFroggy @ Aug 7 2016, 03:47 PM) *

Partially pulled the tank to verify fuel system config is straight forward.

I did find a mild obstruction in the tank that seems to have pulled thru when I disconnected the filter inlet. I now at least have fuel on both sides of the filter and fuel pump. But the problem is that i still get nothing at the carburetors.

I now think the fuel pump is on its way out. so I am going to replace it and put in a new filter.

Question is, How do you clean out the fuel tank strainer.... mine looks like there is a little accumulation. And I am concerned about sealing it with it in place.

You can get a new screen from Pelican Parts (http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/9144/POR_9144_FULFUL_pg3.htm#item10) Gotta flip the tank over & unscrew the fitting....prolly good to have the fiber washer that seals it on hand also, might have to search the fiche to find it. I've had luck on things like this getting the part number from the fiche (AA's site) and then calling BAP/GEON with the number & can surprisingly get the parts inexpensively...
FastFroggy
Thanks for all the insight. I am going to replace the inlet for sure. But I am questioning the original build fuel pump. What is the recommended fuel pump/pressure reguator setup.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.