Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Pop-ups!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
aarrgfgh! i hate pop ups, let someone use your 'puter, and trhen all the pop ups come!

HELP! headbang.gif
Frank Marino
Go to www.download.com and search "pop up". You should get a list of various popup killers. Check them out and see what features your looking for.
Qarl
http://www.panicware.com/

pop up stopper
Frank Marino
I was just looking at it and noticed that "AdsGone Popup Killer and Banner Ad Stopper 4.0.6" got 92% rating which is good, but I think its only a trial. There are a few freeware aps listed there also. Essentially, they all do the same thing, however, some are smarter than others. For example, when you click on a link on the 914club forum, it would open a window to that link, but some of these popup stoppers might stop that window from opening (because its a popup) smile.gif Good luck finding a good stopper. When you do, post the name and version if available on 914club, its useful info for everyone.

-Frank
Aaron Cox
is there a way i van just make em go away without a program...i cleared cookies etc...
Drums66
Aaron......press the ALT key and F4 together biggrin.gif
Frank Marino
I had this same problem on my parents computer. Someone installed Bonzi Buddy (never do it!) and since then I have still not been able to completely remove all of its components that it hides on your computer. Look through you programs and uninstall anything that doesn't look familiar. It might work and then again, because its windows, it might not. Whatever you do, don't just find the folders and delete them until you have used the uninstall wizard (control panel->add/remove programs). After using the uninstall wizard, then go back manually through the filesystem and dump any folders/files left behind that the wizard didn't take care of.
Aaron Cox
i want them gone! not have to deal with em, nor pay for em to go away...

ironically, the pop ups are usually for anti pop up software! :finger2:
Frank Marino
You could always wipe the drive smile.gif and start from scratch, that would get rid of popups from hidden programs running on your computer. By the way, when are you getting popups? Do you get them when you surf pages that you are positive don't produce popups? or do they only come up on certain websites?
Aaron Cox
when i surf here or ebay or anywhere...they come from

www.fineclicks.com/ etc etc
Frank Marino
If they are occuring all the time, no matter the site. Its a rogue program(s) running. Take a look on bottom right of screen, see what programs are running down there. If something looks odd, or unfamiliar, close the program, and then use the uninstall wizard to get rid of it.
campbellcj
Yep...actually when I recently started getting slammed with popups (constantly) it was due to one or more adware/spyware programs that had invaded my puter. If you install certain stuff like Morpheus, DivX and so forth, you are wide open for endless annoyances.

Spybot Search & Destroy cured it completely. I have not had a popup for a few months now...except for the ones Wayne deliberately programmed into the Pelican BBS (LOL).
Frank Marino
Cool beans, thanks for the info.
Brad Roberts
Spybot is what I have used.. Works great.

B
garyh
Another way to stop pop-ups is to change browsers.

It wouldn't surprize me to find out that MS was in cahoots with the advertisers, and had given them "back-doors" to get the pop-ups on your screen.

I use Netscape 7.02. With this browser, I can put sites on the "popup approved" list. If they aren't on the list, they don't pop up.

I have it set to go 'ding' when is drops a pop-up. Some sites, it sounds like my phone is ringing.

Mozilla and Opera have similar features.
Lawrence
I use SpyBot and AdAware, by lavasoft.

In conjunction, they got rid of tons of crap that infiltrated my system.

-Rusty
joea9146
Spybot is the way to go kills the add at the source smash.gif
need4speed
www.mozilla.org

Not only can you block popups, but you can also block ad banners.

I can't understand why anyone would use anything else.
Frank Marino
Mozilla is good. But you gotta have netscape installed before hand to use it I believe.

*Edit

Only reason why I use explorer is because I'm a computer speed freak and it loads the fastest.
silver six
Your popups might be caused by Gator. Look in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Is there a little alligator there? If so, turn it off (rightclick and select "close"). Then uninstall Gator. Go to your control panels and find the uninstall application (Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add Remove Programs). It will tell you what to do from there.

Good luck.

Douglas
Pnambic
I use Guard IE. Its shareware, which means you can install it free, but you have to buy it unless you want to re-install it every coupla weeks. But it has a whole slew of options that allow you to specify what sites are allowed pop-ups and it'll kill all the rest. It also manages cookies pretty well.

I shouldn't have to pay for a security system for my house, but in order to keep people from breaking in, I have to. I look at the pop-up blockers the same way. While I shouldn't have to pay to keep things off my computer that I don't want there, It's better than the alternative.

Good luck!

I recently found a program installed on a client's computer that was targeting particular types of web-sites popping up specific competitors that payed them for the service. (ie. client went to Farm Bureau's web site and got pop-ups trying to redirect them to a competitor's website.) The culprit was a program listed in Add/Remove as "SaveNow". I uninstalled it and the pop-ups went away....for now.

Quick note to people writing software that makes all these pop-ups and the companies advertizing through them.... pissoff.gif I can garuntee that I will never do business with any company that utilizes pop-ups if I associate them with these annoyances.
need4speed
If you guys are worried about spyware/adware installed on your machine, try this:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Download their program "Ad Aware".
It scans your system like antivirus software would, locates undesirable crap that's been installed on your system without your knowledge (and if you use a Windows machine, it almost certainly has some spyware on it). Then, it allows you to uninstall the spyware.
Spyware sends your personal info to companies who then use it to sell you stuff, or they simply sell it to advertisers. Spyware makes your machine unstable. Spyware slows your machine down. Spyware is unethical, and evil. Picture McDonalds putting a big golden "M" on the roof of your car, and a tracking device, when you go through the drive through, and then getting a list of everywhere you drive so they know where to put more billboards.

As far as IE loading faster than Mozilla - sure, that's a fact. Because IE is built into Windows, 75% of the code is already in memory when you launch IE, so no other browser will ever be able to compete with that. On the other hand, if you put Mozilla in your Startup folder, 100% of it's code will be in memory after you startup. Apples and apples.
FriarJohn
Mozilla is good. But you gotta have netscape installed before hand to use it I believe.

Not true. Mozilla and Netscape use the same rendering engine, but they are not connected in any other way. Mozilla is a little leaner - doesn't try to install Winamp, Realplayer and AOL crap or clutter your desktop with extra icons.

Internet Explorer barf.gif

FWIW,

John
StratPlayer
Anyone who wants a pop up stopper just send me an ICQ and I can send you one,,, This fits in your tool bar of your browser and it works just great.

It comes with the serial #

ICQ # 6279465 icq is up an running
seanery
I've got spybot search and destroy and just downloaded the Lavasoft product.

It found another 40 items that spybot didn't.
StratPlayer
Use both spy bot and ad aware, but they won't stop the pop ups
seanery
no, just the spyware
iansale
I, too, am a Mozilla user. It stops pop-ups, has a nice tabbed browser window, is very fast, and renders most websites as well as Internet Explorer. It's free, stable, and fast.
Frank Marino
QUOTE(FriarJohn @ Jun 23 2003, 04:43 PM)

Not true. Mozilla and Netscape use the same rendering engine, but they are not connected in any other way. Mozilla is a little leaner - doesn't try to install Winamp, Realplayer and AOL crap or clutter your desktop with extra icons.

Internet Explorer barf.gif

FWIW,

John

Ohh. My mistake.
VegasRacer
I get very few pop-ups.
Is there anything I can do about all the SPAM e-mails?
Does it really do any good to put them on my blocked sender list?
Joe Bob
I just downloaded spybot....I also had adaware....I found it buggy and it conflicted with Spybot.....

Spybot get my nod....run it once a day.
kafermeister
I haven't used Spybot...yet. But I plan on trying it out. I currently use two tools on my home computer. First, I have Ad-Aware. That helps alot. Keep it updated. The program AND updates are free. Second, I have a Hosts file that routes a bunch of known ad, and spyware domain names to fake addresses. Usually a local address (127.0.0.1), or a totally bogus address (0.0.0.0). This keeps my nose pretty clean and I am very satisfied with the results.

My work computer is a different case, however. SaveNow caused me some trouble once I started using the modified host file. Aparently, I have had it since before I started using the new hosts file. It would lock (CPU Utilization=%100) my Win2kPro laptop for 3-4 minutes frequently. It got so bad at one time, It would drain my laptop battery in 45minutes flat. I'm usually good for a few hours. I deleted the directory and spent a few hours deleting orphaned reg entries. I'm all good now.

Mike Z had advised Spybot. It's next on my list if I have further problems.

Rick
need4speed
I actually use Mozilla Firebird - it's a tad faster, and much smaller footprint. (Mozilla includes a newsreader, email client, irc client, other junk - Firebird's a browser, and ONLY a browser).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.