Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front hub questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

I tried the search function many times, and had no luck, although I know all of these questions have been answered before. confused24.gif

I'm in the process of replacing the bearings and hubs. Does it matter which hub goes on which side? I now know that it matters which clamping nut goes on which side, but is there a right and left for the hubs?

Also, there should be a thrust washer between the clamping nut and the outer bearing, correct? I may have overlooked them, but I'm starting to think that mine was missing them. Have to go back and check.

What is the best way to adjust the bearing free play. The procedure in the Haynes seems a little vague. I know his has been described before, but can't find it.

Anything else important I should know when re-assembling the front hubs? I'm hoping to get it back together and acutally drive it this weekend! driving.gif

Thanks for the help,

davep
Front rotors go on either side. Only the clamping nut is unique to each side. Yes, there is a big thrust washer that is keyed to the slot in the stub.

Tighten up the nut until the washer can be moved, with a little effort, back and forth with a big screwdriver. You don't want it sloppy, you don't want it too tight. Lock the nut with the set-screw. Run it for a hundred miles, then check again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.