Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake tuning help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
2 rebuilt rear calipers, all 4 new disc and pads. New master.

Have to hit the brake pedal hard. I think there needs to be adjustments made. About 100 miles on after the brakes were done. I also had new brake rubber lines installed at the same time. I think it is an adjustment problem. Any tips? The brake pedal almost hurts my foot smashing it down and holding it. Even at a stop light. Brake pedal is high and tight, normally, my brakes are lower and ease in.
Cracker
What size MC & what type of pads? Did you replace all of these parts because of the same condition? I've experienced something similar with a 23mm MC (in a 914). The proportioning valve is another item in-line with the rear brakes - I take it out and this is highly contested. Just another item to consider.

Using phone - sorry for double post.

PS: You may need to rebuild 2 more calipers... poke.gif

Hopefully, Eric Shea will weigh in on this...

Tony
Cracker
What size MC?

Tony
stugray
I must be missing something.

Sounds like the OP is complaining about too firm of a pedal.....

Do you have a very firm pedal but the car does not stop???

Most people have a hard time getting TO a firm pedal.
Shadowfax
Sounds like the push rod from the pedal might not be positioned in the MC correctly (No. 20 in diagram).
Click to view attachment

If it is installed OK, then check the play and adjust as needed.
mlindner
I think he saying its going down and easy and he's standing on it hard....
Sound like air somewhere. I also would remove Proportioning valve ( I know Eric is against this, and for good reason, it would be a liability for him). I've enjoyed 15 years of Auto-xing and track days at Road America and Black Hawk farms with all kinds of high speed braking on wet and dry...late into a fast turn etc. and never had a rear braking issue. Many 1st in class at Road America with speeds well over a hundred. Just FYI, and always do plenty of brake testing. Mark
stugray
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 8 2016, 05:26 AM) *

What size MC & what type of pads? Did you replace all of these parts because of the same condition? I've experienced something similar with a 23mm MC (in a 914). The proportioning valve is another item in-line with the rear brakes - I take it out and this is highly contested. Just another item to consider.

Tony

Simple answer - you should NOT have a 23 mm MC in your otherwise stock 914.
That would definitely result in an overly firm pedal.
Cracker
Good info (but) I never claimed it was a stock 914 system, just a 914 - I had 930 calipers on all 4 corners.

T

QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 8 2016, 11:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 8 2016, 05:26 AM) *

Tony

Simple answer - you should NOT have a 23 mm MC in your otherwise stock 914.
That would definitely result in an overly firm pedal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.