Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUYING an alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I did a search and found that several years back, most of the recommendations were to find a local rebuilder to rebuild your alternator vs. buying a rebuilt one.

Is that the recommendation of the majority of folks here?

I have been chasing an intermittent charging problem in another post and have pretty much come to the conclusion that my ALT is the problem. So it is coming off.

This current ALT had been rebuilt by a shop in town, but it gave me trouble and had to be taken back. The shaft was moving in and out causing a clunk. It ran for about 16 months before that happened and now it has been about 12 more months since that repair.

So I am a little leery of returning to my local guy and I am considering purchasing a rebuilt unit from FCPeuro.com. They have a lifetime warranty on this unit. $162 shipped. $75 of that is a core charge.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-vo...r-412-411-al75x
mepstein
Our local shop does alternators and starters in 2-3 days using our cores. About $75 - 125 depending on what the rebuild needs.

Can you take it back to your guy to fix what failed?
malcolm2
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2016, 09:27 AM) *

Our local shop does alternators and starters in 2-3 days using our cores. About $75 - 125 depending on what the rebuild needs.

Can you take it back to your guy to fix what failed?

After the last fix, he said he could not guarantee it any longer. I will call him tho. Cause the last problem was physical and I believe this problem to be electrical, maybe a diode.

The price and turn around was good originally. $75 and a couple days. They actually did the "repair" while I waited.

So you are still on the "have your own rebuilt" side vs. buying a rebuilt?

Clark
Tbrown4x4
I just had an alt fail, so I pulled it out and tore it down. The slip rings and brushes were worn beyond salvage, so strike 1.

A core that came with a parts car had some burnt insulation from the slip rings to the rotor windings. Strike 2.

The alt out of my '71 looked horrible and wouldn't even turn. I took it apart and cleaned everything up. Everything looks good inside. Possibly an older rebuilt Bosch unit. New bearings and brushes and it charges like a champ.

I could have called Rockauto and been out about $70 or $80 dollars tops, and saved a little time, but I have to do things the hard way.

Did the guy going through that rebuild care as much about quality as I did? Doubt it. If it fails, they replace it, but you're doing the labor again!

We do have a local guy I trust who does starters and other electrical, but my schedule didn't jibe this time. I might have him go through my 2 cores later. I usually just buy parts from him.
dcheek
My daily driver mechanic sent my alternator to his local rebuild shop. Works perfectly and only cost $75.00.

On aftermarket or other rebuilt units you run the risk that it won't fit, or the connections are slightly different. It is certain your original unit will fit once it is fixed.

Dave
malcolm2
IIRC the posts I read from my recent searches seemed to be more concerned with the quality and reliability of the unknown rebuilt unit. It seemed that maybe the workmanship from a local guy at his bench might have the possibility to be of higher quality and last longer than an assembly line rebuild.

In my book, if it is the wrong unit, or does not fit, then it is returned for the correct unit.

Not knowing what my guy did to "rebuild" mine, I really can't say if that is true or not.

He told me that the repair needed last year was from a too tight belt, which I cannot confirm. But I did install the unit and the belt.

Now I have a possible diode issue.... did he give me new diodes or not? Also cannot confirm.
JoeD
For whatever it's worth, Jake Raby is wrapping up my engine build and recommended replacing my alternator with a rebuilt one from www.rndeuroparts.com while the engine is out. Jake referred to the rebuild from RND as being a "quality unit". I paid $149.88 (including $75.00 core), it was in stock, and free shipping.

http://store.rndeuroparts.com/BOSCH/Alternator/AL-75-X

JD
malcolm2
Thanks. I have not seen that site. I will check them out.
87m491
You say "strike", I say opportunity to save a few bucks. Those parts are consumables and usually readily replaceable if you have the tools and the determination. I've had great luck here,

http://www.aspwholesale.com/alternator-parts.html

A quick check shows bits for 914 units.

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 8 2016, 08:01 AM) *

I just had an alt fail, so I pulled it out and tore it down. The slip rings and brushes were worn beyond salvage, so strike 1.

wndsnd
What's it hurt to bring it to a local guy with a good rep?

If he can't fix it and stand behind it, then you get one online.

I have someone I can trust locally. He does my starters, gens, alternators, motors, etc.

Usually about 2/3. The price of new/rebuilt and he tests right in front of me.
malcolm2
Click to view attachment

Ok she is OUT.

BTW: if you have FI and heat exchangers and aux fan it ain't near as easy as McMark makes it in the "914 info". But his post certainly helped.

HE has to come off then the cussing gets really loud!

Ok it says 50 amp. Everything i saw today was talking 55 amp.

Do I need to upgrade to 55?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.