Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Console Mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lazydog925
I'm adding a center console to my 1974 914. I was wondering if anyone may have the mounting dimensions? I would like to mount this in the OE position. Any help mounting this console is greatly appreciated.
porschetub
QUOTE(Lazydog925 @ Aug 9 2016, 03:36 PM) *

I'm adding a center console to my 1974 914. I was wondering if anyone may have the mounting dimensions? I would like to mount this in the OE position. Any help mounting this console is greatly appreciated.

Apparently it just sits in there and suits the contour of the lower dash ...don't quote me dry.gif .
I really wanted on for my car but many say they get in the way of your feet confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
More to it than that. Do you have the upper bracket and all the parts?

2 screws up into the metal subdash, 2 screws into the center tunnel.
carcus
It will fit without the upper bracket. Some 3M tape will hold it. You will need an appearance package heater lever also, has a curve on it. The defrost button on the left will be just a decoration. There is someone on Ebay right now selling the upper bracket pretty cheap used. They are hard to find. The gauge wiring should be in the center under the carpet. Now, if the appearance package with gauges are used...expect the clock like mine is broke, and some issues with old used VDO gauges. Hope this helps.I cut some side holes in my center console for some speakers that will be going in soon. And regardless what some people say, I am 6'1" and a chubby dude, the center console will not mess with any room.
Lazydog925
Thanks. I do have all the brackets just curious about the placement. How far forward, is it centered? Anyone have any measurements?

Mark Henry
If you have big feet you won't like the console. bye1.gif
worn
QUOTE(Lazydog925 @ Aug 9 2016, 06:55 AM) *

Thanks. I do have all the brackets just curious about the placement. How far forward, is it centered? Anyone have any measurements?

It nestles against the center seat/tray. Actually if you have an original it sort of fits best when it is in the right place. You will already have the holes in the console if it isn't new, so the brackets will tell you where to drill in the sheet metal. I found that the holes are not predrilled in my '76.
Carl456
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 9 2016, 08:20 AM) *

If you have big feet you won't like the console. bye1.gif

I'm far from driving mine but with seats in i can't get my foot between the brake and the center console (size 13).
I'm going to have to reconfigure mine.
Dave_Darling
Aha! I found the old address, and fed it into the Wayback Machine! Here is a link to a saved copy of the dimensioned drawings from the French 914 Club!

https://web.archive.org/web/20041208223030/....com/914france/

Someone commented in an old thread that one dimension was incorrect, but did not know which one.

Note that there is a metal bracket at the top, which bolts to the underside of the dash frame, and another bracket at the bottom under the gauges, which bolts to the top of the center tunnel.

--DD
Lazydog925
Thank you everyone. Just want my 914 interior to look stock. Now, I just need to brush up on my French. Thanks DD for going through the trouble to dig this up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.