Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pca 914 vintage race group at Summit Point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Racing916
Hi guys,

I just signing up for a vintage race group at Summit Point. This is this fist time PCA has tried to include older cars into a vintage group. Below are the details... It would be great to have a big 914 turnout.

Fellow racers,

Potomac Region has been granted permission to include a Vintage Group as part of our Silver Anniversary Club Race at Summit Point September 23-25, 2016. This is an opportunity to bring out the older racecars and put them on track without running with 400 HP cars beside (in front) of them. Everyone we ask thinks this is a grand idea. Here are some details:

Place: Summit Point Motorsport Park
Summit Point, WV

Date: September 23-25, 2016
Setup September 22 starting at 6:00PM

Eligibility: 1983 and older AIR COOLED Porsches.

PCA Club Racing Rules will be enforced for Safety but not Classes. Of note here is that the rules now require full cages not just roll bars.

The PCA Club Racing Rules are available here: https://www.pca.org/sites/default/files/att...ing%20Rules.pdf

There will be only four classes. Four cylinder over and under 2.4L (V4O, V4U) and six cylinder over and under 2.4L (VO, VU).
This means that a 914-6 with a 3.2L engine may run as well as say a 73 911 with a 3.6L engine. If you have built your car to fare better in the PCA DE
Program for instance this event is for you.

Vintage Group entrants will not run for PCA National Points. Accordingly, the normally required Data collection plug is waived. (See CR Rules)

Membership in PCA is required. All drivers must have a PCA Competition License. (See CR Rules to see the Qualifications. It is simple to apply) The
September race can be your first event on the new license.

New Licensees are advised to have their License paperwork in well in advance of the event. ALL licensing questions should be directed to Susan Shire at:
PCAClubRace@aol.com

All PCA Club Race events register through: www.clubregistration.net. Registration opens six weeks before the event.

Our three-day event has Practice and Practice starts and a short race on Friday. Qualifying and two Sprint races (30 min. each ) on Saturday. And one Sprint
race and an Enduro on Sunday. Fine meals are included two nights with an awards presentation Saturday evening.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions at: clubrace@pcapotomac.org. or fpfeiffer@atlanticbb.net.

Fred
Fred Pfeiffer
PCA Potomac
Silver Anniversary Club Race Chair
clubrace@pcapotomac.org

stuttgart46
I like this idea a lot.
Glad to PCA getting on board.
Racing916
14 cars signed up so far. 8 914's! Should be fun.
carr914
Sounds like a great idea
Cracker
Have a great time. One nice benefit of driving a 914 at SP is that you have plenty of time to avoid the deer... beerchug.gif

Trev
stownsen914
I can't make this one, but I will definitely plan to do some PCA vintage races if the idea catches on.
jim_hoyland
Looking forward to pics of the 914s at the event.... smile.gif
Racer
Not sure if this is a one off or not. Potomac region kicked off (nationally) PCA club racing 25 years ago. They are certainly trying to get a lot of the folks who stepped away to come back. Safety issues (and age) might prevent some.

Then again, it would be neat to see the "old cars" out there more!
brant
QUOTE(Racer @ Aug 24 2016, 06:20 PM) *

Not sure if this is a one off or not. Potomac region kicked off (nationally) PCA club racing 25 years ago. They are certainly trying to get a lot of the folks who stepped away to come back. Safety issues (and age) might prevent some.

Then again, it would be neat to see the "old cars" out there more!

I believe the actual very first PCA club race in the nation was held in Colorado
I was there
naro914
brant, you are correct, first PCA race was Colorado.
I wish I could make it but unfortunately Okteenerfest is the same weekend...and since I am co-chair.... headbang.gif
old914dog
CVAR has an event at MSR Houston next weekend. In E Prod., the first 6 six cars registered in E Prod. were 914's.
http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdrivers...mp;EventID=6107
is the link to look. I hope it will allow access. There are a couple of C Prod teeners, one FIA monster teener and another that may attend. We might make a dozen!!!
Rules are 1972 GCR's with a few "adjustments." If you are in the area, come on!!
stuttgart46
I plan on being at MSR on Saturday. No race car this time, just watching. I want to see how my car will fit in with CVAR.
I'll be in a Forest Green Cayman S. Hopefully I'll see you there.
brant
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Sep 27 2016, 04:47 PM) *

I plan on being at MSR on Saturday. No race car this time, just watching. I want to see how my car will fit in with CVAR.

3.0?
Racing916
I would say the vintage group was a success. 20 cars showed up and the 914's were represented well. A few drivers are frequent posters here. This was my fist time at Summit Point I was impressed by the track, and the event was run great. We got 3rd in the first race and then won the next three races. I heard that they are going to expand the number of races for 2017.

Would be great to see more 914's in the field
Steve
mlindner
Thanks for sharing Steve, that looks like a great group. Can't wait for mine to be done. Best, Mark
PS any videos of the event.
mlindner
Sorry, that would be Fred. Thanks, Mark
stuttgart46
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 27 2016, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Sep 27 2016, 04:47 PM) *

3.0?

My Cayman is my street car. I am building another 914/6GT replica race car for vintage racing.

I've had a couple of Spec Boxsters in the past few years but I really miss the historic stuff.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to MSR this weekend. Moving next weekend and I ended up packing.
stownsen914
Sounds like a blast. I may keep the 914 in GT4 when I get the motor fixed, but I'd love to do vintage racing with my 911. Maybe next year ...
MikeSpraggi
This is the only decent video I have of the PCA Club Race vintage group. Last race on Sunday for the group. Camera was not behaving nicely and would stop recording whenever it felt like it. This was a really good event, not because it was the first PCA Club Race with a vintage class, but because of the people, cars, food etc. We'll do more vintage in PCA Club Racing I'm told.

https://youtu.be/sejcFsJ8bN8

AlanG
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Oct 30 2016, 05:51 AM) *

This is the only decent video I have of the PCA Club Race vintage group. Last race on Sunday for the group. Camera was not behaving nicely and would stop recording whenever it felt like it. This was a really good event, not because it was the first PCA Club Race with a vintage class, but because of the people, cars, food etc. We'll do more vintage in PCA Club Racing I'm told.

https://youtu.be/sejcFsJ8bN8

Great video. Thanks for sharing.
Cracker
Its a vintage group alright...

T
mlindner
Thanks Mike for a great video......and very cool to se that many 914's. Are most of them six's, what is yours. Best, Mark (914-6 GT clone still in process).
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 30 2016, 12:25 PM) *

Thanks Mike for a great video......and very cool to se that many 914's. Are most of them six's, what is yours. Best, Mark (914-6 GT clone still in process).

All were sixes except the silver #29 spyder. The class decals on the bumpers tell you what kind of power the car has....more or less. No weight, tire or engine rules (does have to be a Porsche however). VO= Vintage, over 2.5L, VU= up to 2.5L, VU4=vintage 4 cylinder. That's it. Nothing more or less for rules classification. Oh yea, has to be an air-cooled Porsche.

Not all cars were present for the official photo shoot.

Click to view attachment
naro914
So question about the vintage class rules...VO is ANYTHING over 2.5? Like a '74 914 with a 3.2? I run GT4 in PCA with Papa Smurf....that legal?

And where are the class rules posted?
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 30 2016, 02:06 PM) *

So question about the vintage class rules...VO is ANYTHING over 2.5? Like a '74 914 with a 3.2? I run GT4 in PCA with Papa Smurf....that legal?

And where are the class rules posted?

So..uh..yea. A 3.2 in a 914 is VO..and yes, it's "legal" as well as any aircooled Porsche powerplant. That's the beauty of this class..at least I think it's the beauty. In the photo I uploaded in the previous post, the #59 914 has a 3.2, #3 a 2.9 and #18 a 2.7, I think.

I received the class rules in an email from PCA. Since this was the very first attempt at a vintage class, I did not see the rules posted anywhere. I think PCA wanted to see how things went to determine if there was any interest. i think they were please as we heard there should be some other races next year with a vintage class. I would imagine, continuing with the class, rules should be officially posted for next season. Just a guess.
Fubawu
So am I reading this right, PCA is going to do more of these are various events??
naro914
QUOTE(Fubawu @ Nov 1 2016, 04:05 PM) *

So am I reading this right, PCA is going to do more of these are various events??

Maybe...
I emailed with Vicki Ernshaw - PCA Club Race Chair - and she said it's up to the region hosting the race if they want to have a full run group for Vintage.

Personally, based on the success of the first trial, I think a lot of the smaller races would love to include this. For us here in the Southeast, it might be a catalyst to resurrect CMP or Roebling Road races....

So if there is a race you want to see it in, I would suggest you reach out to the race chair and request it. (I know I'm going to get in trouble for suggesting that, but oh well...wouldn't be the first time!!)
Cracker
Now Bob...why would you even want to pick on those AC cars? Finishing 1st in a class of 1 is meaningless...

T
naro914
hey...I just have a mildly modified 914...I'd run in VO class like the other ones with bigger engines...

Cracker
bs.gif

QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 1 2016, 09:03 PM) *

hey...I just have a mildly modified 914...I'd run in VO class like the other ones with bigger engines...

MikeSpraggi
The #3 914 was turning 1:23s at Summit Point...not too shabby at all. That was good enough for 3rd place in the sprint with the full compliment of the vintage cars. The fastest time was a 1:19, followed by a 1:21 for 2nd place. This is the vintage class!!

In comparison, fastest time for the event was around a 1:12 by either a GT3R or a 997 RSR.... not sure which car Corey was driving since I didn't see the race or Corey all weekend.
Cracker
Ok. I concede. Bob isn't that fast and won't win... lol-2.gif

T

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Nov 1 2016, 11:21 PM) *

The #3 914 was turning 1:23s at Summit Point...not too shabby at all. That was good enough for 3rd place in the sprint with the full compliment of the vintage cars. The fastest time was a 1:19, followed by a 1:21 for 2nd place. This is the vintage class!!

In comparison, fastest time for the event was around a 1:12 by either a GT3R or a 997 RSR.... not sure which car Corey was driving since I didn't see the race or Corey all weekend.

Racing916
Bob,

Trevor showed me the Dyno numbers, the new engine is sweet. I hope your really rusty and I can pull out a few tricks. smile.gif. Should be a fun year if they pick up more vintage races. It was a hoot at summit. My plan is to run Watkins glen, NJMP, and Summit, maybe more if the budget holds up. I have been spending money running with friends in the American Endurance Series. Two weeks ago in 8 1/2 hour race I ran 3 hours and 45 minutes hard to beat the seat time for the price. You coming north for any races in 2017?

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.