Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laguna Blue 914 2270
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
era vulgaris
I've decided to put my 914 up for sale. I've had a lot of fun with it, but I've come to the conclusion that I really need a car that I can turn the key and drive, and that's not possible with carbs. Because of that I might consider a trade for a similar condition D-jet car, either 1.7 or 2.0 (see link to photobucket album at the bottom of the ad to view condition). I prefer the more oddball colors, I'm not so much into black, red, or white. Asking price otherwise is $15,900 OBO.

It was a lifelong California car until I brought it to North Carolina in December 2014. The previous owner I bought it from lived in Arroyo Grande, and prior to that it was owned by a married couple in Pasadena who were PCA members. This is an extremely solid 99% rust free car, the kind that you could only find in CA. The longitudinals, floors, and engine bay are as clean and solid as can be.

The color is L50C Laguna Blue. I don't think it's original paint based on some small areas of overspray on the floorpan. But it is an older respray likely done 20 or so years ago; an estimation based on the fact that there are some chips, dings, and touch ups that would only come from many years of driving. I know the car photographs well but the paint is a 5 footer. Nevertheless you'll still have people giving you constant compliments on how good the car looks. The light blue against the black accents really looks good!

Prior to my purchasing it, the previous owner spent a couple years from 2011 to 2013 doing a complete mechanical restoration which included many upgrades. The engine and trans were rebuilt by Mark DeBarnardi, who owns a very well known and respected shop called Original Customs, that specializes in air cooled Porsches. If you don't know of Mark or Original Customs, then to be honest you don't know 914's! Mark built the 2.0 case up to a 2270cc.
Along with the rebuilt engine and trans, the car also received upgrades to the suspension, brake system, fuel system, shift linkage, and instrumentation which are all detailed below.

ENGINE
Rebuilt to 2270
Dellorto DRLA40 carbs (just rebuilt in March 2016)
Mallory Unilite distributor
MSD 6AL ignition module
MSD Blaster II coil
Tangerine Racing spiral wound spark plug wires
Chromoly pushrods
Swivel feet valve adjusters
Deep sump tuna can
Rebuilt 2.0 heads with 12mm spark plugs
78mm stroker counterweighted crank
Galley plugs tapped and sealed
Powdercoated engine tin and fan shroud
Tangerine Racing oil pressure relief valve
Tangerine Racing 1 5/8" headers
Tangerine Racing EVO II exhaust
Tangerine racing heat exchanger box
Tangerine Racing remote oil cooler take-off kit
External Setrab oil cooler with dual thermostatically activated 5" puller fans mounted under rear trunk
Tangerine Racing braided stainless steel oil pressure sender hose
All new seals and gaskets

TRANSAXLE
Rebuilt with stock gearing
Tangerine Racing firewall shift bushing
Tangerine Racing shift linkage
New CV joints
Tangerine Racing adjustable clutch pulley

BRAKES AND SUSPENSION
Brembo AM front calipers (rebuilt by PMB Performance)
Stock 914 rear calipers (rebuilt by PMB Performance)
New 19mm master cylinder
Porterfield R4-S brake pads
Braided stainless steel brake hoses
911 front suspension with 22mm torsion bars
911 vented rotors and hubs (front)
Redrilled 914 rotors (rear)
New front and rear wheel bearings
Elephant Racing polybronze suspension bushings with grease zerks (front and rear)
Tarrett 19mm adjustable front sway bar
911 struts (front)
Rear adjustable coilovers with 220lb springs over Bilstien shocks
Falken Azenis 205 50 15 tires on 15x7 Fuchs replica wheels

FUEL SYSTEM
Gas tank cleaned
Tangerine Racing stainless steel fuel lines
All new fuel hoses
Tangerine Racing rotary fuel pump and fuel filter

INTERIOR UPGRADES
Aluminum pedal board
Coco mats
Center console with added instrumentation
4 channel digital Cylinder Head Temp gauge
Digital Air Fuel Ratio gauge
VDO oil temp and oil pressure gauges
Repro hockey puck horn button

MISCELLANEOUS
New windshield
New ignition switch
Car was corner balanced
New window scraper seals
New door end cap seals
New door handle seals
New side targa seals
New front trunk seal
Center tunnel and pedal area treated with rust proofing paint
Phenolic intake manifold gaskets

There are about 18,000 miles that have been driven on the mechanical restoration detailed above. The chassis itself has about 140,000 miles on it. The car is broken in, and ready to be driven and enjoyed for many years to come. Recent compression test results done at the beginning of the summer are as follows on cylinders 1 thru 4: 140, 142, 144, 138.
The only real issue I've had with the car is that the oil temp gauge is intermittent. Sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't. I've replaced the sender twice, and both times it would work for a couple weeks after and then slowly start not working again. I've traced through the wiring and can't find any faults. I'm really not sure what the issue is. But when the gauge does work, the temp is always right in the 200 to 220 degree range depending on how hard I'm driving. The thermostatically activated oil cooler and puller fans (which come on at 180 degrees) really do take all the worry out of your oil temps.

I also have receipts for EVERYTHING listed above. Including the cost of the car, the previous owner spent approximately $28k building this car. With 914 prices on the rise, you wouldn't be able to replicate this car today without approaching $40k. The engine and trans build alone cost about $11k (carbs and exhaust not included, which would add another $4k to that cost). You could buy a decent driver 914 for just what the drivetrain in this car cost!

I also have a stack of receipts and service invoices going back to the late 80's through the two previous owners that I mentioned earlier, back when the car was a stock 2.0. I also have a full set of 2 black keys, one red valet key, a spare blank black key, as well as an original leather PCA key pouch. And yes ALL of the locks work: doors, trunks, and glove box. I also have the original owner's manual, additional service manuals, California license plates, and a number of spare parts that will be included with the car.

Most of the weather seals are in excellent condition. I replaced the ones that really needed it with the exception of the rear trunk seal, which could still do with being replaced. I don't drive the car in the rain, but the interior does stay dry when I wash it. All the seals are from 914 Rubber.

The bumpers have been partially backdated to 916 fiberglass bumpers. It wouldn't be difficult to fully backdate them to stock metal bumpers if you wanted to. The mounting points and foglight conversion have already been taken care of. I did intend to do this when I first bought the car, but the 916 bumpers really grew on me (which honestly surprised me, but having lived with it I really like the look now). The fact that they match the body color makes the car look more like a modern car. And they're also much lighter which aids the performance of the car.

Having driven stock 914's I can say this car really is what the 914 should have been to begin with. The upgrades put the HP somewhere around 130 or 140 HP. You really have no problem keeping up with and not just passing traffic, but putting it far far behind you. Not something you can say about a stock 1.7! And with the suspension upgrades you can take turns at absurd speeds. My favorite thing is when I get some macho muscle car guy behind me trying to ride my bumper. Then when we hit some twisties I'm suddenly half a mile ahead, and he's left wondering what happened!

It's no problem to really drive the car hard, and your head temps will rarely get above 350 degrees. Typical cruising temps between 3k and 4k rpm are between 315 to 325 degrees, and even less if you're in slower speed limits that have you in 2nd or 3rd gear. Highway cruising in 5th at similar engine speeds will have you at 335 to 345 degrees. There's no worry ever of hitting, or really even getting anywhere near, 400 degrees.
This, btw, was not the case when I bought the car. It was in a horrible state of tune and had a difficult time to not approach 400 degrees in normal driving conditions. I've put alot of work in to get the car to run as cool as it does! It's really absolutely worry free now, as far as head temps are concerned.

As with most aircooled cars, it does leave a drop or two of oil behind after a drive. I recently had Black Forest Racing in Denver, NC replace the rear main seal back in early July of this year, but there is a still a drop or two that comes from that area. While I was there John Forbes, the owner of BFR, was eager to take the car on a test drive. He said he'd be happy to confirm the condition and performance of the car for anyone who wants to give him a call at the shop.
Since then I've bought everything necessary to replace the RMS again and more (new Sabo RMS, new flywheel crush washer, new felt washer, new pilot bearing, new trans front seal, new schnorr washers for CV joints), and all of that will come with the car if I am not able to get around to doing the work myself before the car sells. (Don't worry Kevin, your clutch alignment tool isn't included in this!)

I have a photobucket library with over 370 pics of every aspect of the car. Each album in the library focuses on a different area of the car. Link is here:
Porsche 914 photobucket library

If you have any questions, feel free to call or send an email.

BTW, if you have a copy of this year's Fourteener Motoring calendar, you can see a small pic of this car on the inside of the back page along with all the cars that were in consideration to be in the calendar.
era vulgaris
more pics
era vulgaris
more pics
era vulgaris
more pics
era vulgaris
As far as rust goes I've only found two very minor spots on the car. This is spot #1 on the very bottom front corner of the driver's side rear quarter. It's just that very small bottom corner and doesn't proceed down into the long, or anywhere behind the door jamb.
era vulgaris
Spot #2. That little black speck at the top of the driver's side front wheel well is the front trunk seal. It's a hole about the size of a thumbnail. One of the PO's glued the old front trunk seal in, which is how that occured. It's only the one small spot, and the metal around it is very solid. Other than these two areas, I haven't been able to find any other serious rust on the car, and I've been through it thoroughly. There's some surface rust in a few other places, but nothing that couldn't be cured with only a wirewheel and some paint.
MikeInMunich
Awesome. Love it. No funds available. GLWTS. smile.gif

M.i.M.
2mAn
Amazing car. PM sent
era vulgaris
Bump for some videos!

Cold start...

https://youtu.be/6gOQG936B5g

Warming up...

https://youtu.be/OC0J9QscWes

Quick drive...

https://youtu.be/BzB9mOMsLko

I shot these with a crappy digital point and shoot, so sound and picture quality aren't the best, but they give you the idea. The horrible buzzy rattling sound that occasionally happens in the driving video is the cheap camera mount rattling. I'll try and make a driving video with the top on. I had the windows up, but there's still a ton of wind noise. Though you can still hear that sweet Tangerine exhaust paired with the Dell intake growl when I step on it!!!
Chris H.
I know commenting on FOR SALE threads is frowned upon but I have a car like this one and based on the pics/vids this is a NICE car. I've never seen it in person but look at all of the door gaps and hood/trunk gaps. Excellent lines. That hell hole area is cleaner than mine! Even the 916 bumpers fit very well. With a 2270/Tangerine exhaust ($1700 BY ITSELF) and 5-lug that's a nice deal.

Never met the owner in person so I'm not doing a favor. I'm just a fan of Laguna Blue cars. beerchug.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 23 2016, 11:33 AM) *

I know commenting on FOR SALE threads is frowned upon but I have a car like this one and based on the pics/vids this is a NICE car. I've never seen it in person but look at all of the door gaps and hood/trunk gaps. Excellent lines. That hell hole area is cleaner than mine! Even the 916 bumpers fit very well. With a 2270/Tangerine exhaust ($1700 BY ITSELF) and 5-lug that's a nice deal.

Never met the owner in person so I'm not doing a favor. I'm just a fan of Laguna Blue cars. beerchug.gif

I'll attest to the fact that I've never met you either, but thanks for the compliments on my car! beerchug.gif

So I did a test run today with the top on and windows up with some new video gear, and I insulated the camera mount so it's not as rattle-y (still rattles a little). I cut the end of the video because I got stuck behind some traffic. But I'll shoot more later today or tomorrow. Much better quality than with that little point and shoot I used before. This is actually kind of fun making these videos! Seeing my car on the screen is making me second guess this decision to sell...a little bit!
Also, I'm not sure why it looks like the AFR gauge is scrolling in this video. It doesn't do that in real life...must be something to do with the frames per second of the video.

https://youtu.be/eADeM1hsMs4
era vulgaris
Here you go...20 min long extended drive through some of the beautiful back roads just south of downtown Raleigh.
If you actually make it to the end of the video, the sun was beginning to set and it was getting a little dark inside the car. I tried to show how the car brakes in a straight line when I got back in my neighborhood, braking from about 45 to about 5mph with my hands off the wheel, but it's tough to tell that the steering wheel doesn't move because it's dark. The car does brake in a perfect straight line, if you were wondering what I was doing there!

https://youtu.be/_WMp8NGByIw
era vulgaris
Evil914
Love that color! piratenanner.gif
era vulgaris
Price drop to $16,900. Make an offer! beerchug.gif
era vulgaris
icon_bump.gif

Price drop to $15,900!!!

Make an offer! beerchug.gif

I've found a car local to me that I'd really like to grab, but this one needs to sell first.
era vulgaris
Sold!
iwanta914-6
Wow, someone is getting a great deal. Congrats on the sale!
mepstein
Congrats!
era vulgaris
Thanks! beerchug.gif
The car's going back to California.
Chris H.
Nice. Great car. I still stare at the under-the-fenders pics.
ww914
Congratulations on the sale of my "your" car. Sounds like you had a good time with it. I understand it is coming back to California. Maybe I will see it again. I do sometimes miss it. I can say that the new owner is getting a deal. I could not build that car again with today's prices. I am having fun with my grown up 914, my 987 Cayman S.

IPB Image
era vulgaris
Hey Warren!
Yeah I had a great time with it! I am a little sad to see it go, but I'm ready to go on to the next thing.

You might actually see the car. The new owner is in Solvang, CA which looks like not too far from where you are.

I heard you have a 356 replica too. Still have it? One of the guys on the speedsterowners.com forum filmed one of your old autocross's with the 914 before you did the 5 lug conversion on it. He sent me the video. I think I still have it somewhere if you want it.
I've had one of those Vintage Speedsters or JPS coupes in the back of my mind for the last few years. Might order one some day.
ww914
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 14 2016, 08:52 AM) *

Hey Warren!
Yeah I had a great time with it! I am a little sad to see it go, but I'm ready to go on to the next thing.

You might actually see the car. The new owner is in Solvang, CA which looks like not too far from where you are.

I heard you have a 356 replica too. Still have it? One of the guys on the speedsterowners.com forum filmed one of your old autocross's with the 914 before you did the 5 lug conversion on it. He sent me the video. I think I still have it somewhere if you want it.
I've had one of those Vintage Speedsters or JPS coupes in the back of my mind for the last few years. Might order one some day.

No, I don't have a replica any longer. I had a Vintage and a Beck. Both were a lot of fun to play with but when I got into autocross, they were not suited for AX without spending a ton of money. If you want my opinion of those two cars, contact me offline.

The video of the 914 was set up by Jim Ignacio and yes, I do have a copy. That day was a ton of fun.

Solvang is pretty close and I hope the new owner brings the car to an autocross at Santa Maria Airport. He would really enjoy it.
era vulgaris
Looks like the guy I sold it to is selling the car, and trying to make a hell of a profit. I sold it to him for $15k and he wants $22,300! blink.gif
Not to mention, he copy and pasted his eBay ad directly from mine, used my pictures, linked to my photo bucket account, and to my videos on my youtube channel. Pretty uncool.
Needless to say I'm deleting my photo bucket and videos. If you're trying to make $7k at least take the time to shoot your own pics and videos, and write your own damn ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Porsche-914-T...mvd&vxp=mtr
pete000
Flipper !
Stingbee
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Oct 29 2017, 04:49 PM) *

Looks like the guy I sold it to is selling the car, and trying to make a hell of a profit. I sold it to him for $15k and he wants $22,300! blink.gif
Not to mention, he copy and pasted his eBay ad directly from mine, used my pictures, linked to my photo bucket account, and to my videos on my youtube channel. Pretty uncool.
Needless to say I'm deleting my photo bucket and videos. If you're trying to make $7k at least take the time to shoot your own pics and videos, and write your own damn ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Porsche-914-T...mvd&vxp=mtr

WOW! What a scumbag flipper.... ar15.gif
JOEPROPER
I thought that car looked familiar.
dax1969

If this is the current market then I will never find one...

pffft

krgds
Dax
era vulgaris
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 30 2017, 08:09 AM) *

If this is the current market then I will never find one...

pffft

krgds
Dax

I think realistically it's maybe $17-$18k at best in this market if it's still in the same condition it was when it left my hands. I know this car, and anyone who would see it in person would immediately see that the paint and bodywork are what are holding this car back from being a $20k+ car. Give it a new paint job, smooth out the lumpy rolled rear fenders, and replace the torn seat bolster, and it might be worth $22k to the right person.
rosenfe
So nice when a car for sale is presented with comprehensive information and honesty

914_teener
I was secretly pining for this car.

Glad it is coming back to Cali. Maybe I still have a shot!
IronHillRestorations
I can't believe all the junk on FB about this. Some folks don't understand propriety! +1 for being a stand up guy!!
DRPHIL914
ad says it was always a Califonia car?? were you not in N.C.?
thelogo
Can i ask what you mean buy

A car you get in an turn the key. But carbs will not allow this
Is it because where you live / climate

Forgive my ignorance but i recently went to carbs from djet

And they certainly couldn't be more different
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 2 2017, 07:59 PM) *

Properly set up (good) carbs are reliable. 40 year old worn out carbs with the wrong set up, will cause problems. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
Did the sale include a clutch installation tool? dry.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 4 2017, 08:30 AM) *

Did the sale include a clutch installation tool? dry.gif

No, I still have it. PM your address and I'll send it back.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 1 2017, 11:51 AM) *

ad says it was always a Califonia car?? were you not in N.C.?

I am. And my ad mentioned that when I sold it last year (read the first post in this thread). The new cut and pasted ad from the new seller does not.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 30 2017, 10:31 PM) *

I was secretly pining for this car.

Glad it is coming back to Cali. Maybe I still have a shot!

It's been in Cali for the last year. That's where the new seller is.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 2 2017, 10:59 PM) *

The car had to be warmed up before it would hold a solid idle because the carbs don't have chokes. It would have benefitted from one of those hand-operated gas pedal levers that 914-6's have. I was tired of having to wait for it to warm up before I could stop holding the gas pedal with my foot.
Not an issue with FI.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Oct 31 2017, 07:05 AM) *

I can't believe all the junk on FB about this. Some folks don't understand propriety! +1 for being a stand up guy!!

Thanks man. Yeah that got ridiculous. I think I'm done with that Facebook group.
jipster43
That Facebook group is everything that's wrong with facebook, social media and our society. I'm going to go visit the local senior center to re-establish my faith in humanity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.