Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix air gap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Is there some latitude in the setting or does it need to be fairly exact?
confused24.gif
If so, I may need to readjust.

Thanks,

Joe
timothy_nd28
If the dwell is holding, then I'd leave it.
Rand
Not as critical as point gap for sure, but since it only takes a few minutes to check/adjust I would do it just to know it's right.
pete000
Mine came with a plastic feeler to set the gap.
Porschef
Yes, I remember that, but no longer have it. Any idea of the thickness?

Thanks
t collins
agree.gif I'll check mine with a mic and report back shortly
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 10 2016, 02:57 PM) *

Dwell does not apply to pertronics
t collins
Set gap at .032"
Porschef
QUOTE(t collins @ Aug 10 2016, 05:28 PM) *

Set gap at .032"

Thank you beer.gif
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 10 2016, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 10 2016, 02:57 PM) *

Dwell does not apply to pertronics

Kinda does. Pertronixs uses a Hall effect sensor, if the gap is too large the magnetic pulse will be too weak for the sensor to read, leading to misfires. Even though the electronic pointless module holds perfect dwell, I suspect if the gap is too large, large enough to cause random misfires, the dwell meter would reflect this.
pete000
I did notice my Dwell is at 50 with the Pertronix. My old points were set at 45...
RenoRoger
QUOTE(t collins @ Aug 10 2016, 02:28 PM) *

Set gap at .032"

I installed an electronic unit called Hot-Spark yesterday. Found it advertised on the Samba. It looks just like the Pertronics and costs $49.99 incl. shipping. The instructions do not mention a specific air gap. The car runs fine.

Does anyone have any experience with Hot-Spark? My personal experience with Pertronics over the years has been poor. Two units failed after just a few thousand miles.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Aug 11 2016, 02:27 AM) *

QUOTE(t collins @ Aug 10 2016, 02:28 PM) *

Set gap at .032"

I installed an electronic unit called Hot-Spark yesterday. Found it advertised on the Samba. It looks just like the Pertronics and costs $49.99 incl. shipping. The instructions do not mention a specific air gap. The car runs fine.

Does anyone have any experience with Hot-Spark? My personal experience with Pertronics over the years has been poor. Two units failed after just a few thousand miles.

I have 2 hot spark modules - ive had the same one in my car for 6 years, no issues.
- the second one I bought as a back up, but installed in a second distributor I was testing out, -
id say best $50 I spent on my 914 so far biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
.010 to no more than .060, right from the Pertronix instructions.

I set mine at .010 then spin the dizzy with the feeler in to look for high spots on the magnet donut.

You will be trying to get an air gap between approximately 0.010” at the
low end and no more than 0.060” at the high end.

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/91141.pdf
Porschef
In that case I'm sure I'm right in the allowable range.

Thanks to all

beerchug.gif
timothy_nd28
The pertronix module dwell can be somewhat adjusted by varying the width of the gap. Increasing the gap size seems to make the dwell angle higher and vice versa. You mentioned that you had followed the instructions when installing your module, and you are getting a 50 degree dwell angle. It may be worth trying decreasing the gap size, to see if you can get closer to 45 degrees.

Here's a article talking about adjusting the dwell angle with the pertronix module

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/PertronixAdjust.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.