Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's in for a Minnesota 914 get together?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mramber
Hey MN teeners, I'm wondering if we could coordinate a weekend day to get together/drive sometime yet this fall. (Yes, summer is heading out fast) Checking to see what the interest would be and when and where we would meet up? It would be great to have Rick from Duluth (I met you once Rick) and Paul (I bought some parts from you a couple of years ago). Iamchappy, I read your build thread and would love to see your car! Any others out in the Minnesota area with running cars that would like to get together for a drive, respond and let's see what happens.
rick 918-S
We had a BBQ at Kelly's one year and some of us met a Hooters in the Mall of America one time. We would try to attend if someone put something together. We sold 7 of 9 and the Alien is undergoing a resurrection so no 914's this year. assimilate.gif
Optimusglen
I'd love to meet some of you but it's a very slim chance that the 914 will be road worthy this fall. There is a chance though.

If any of you are going to pick up one of the 914 Search & Rescue shirts, you could save on shipping and pick it up. [/shameless plug]
Gunn1
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 11 2016, 08:47 AM) *

I'd love to meet some of you but it's a very slim chance that the 914 will be road worthy this fall. There is a chance though.

If any of you are going to pick up one of the 914 Search & Rescue shirts, you could save on shipping and pick it up. [/shameless plug]

How do I get one or two?
iamchappy
If not an organized get together a car and coffee at the automotorplex would be a nice way to showcase our 914s as a group.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 11 2016, 10:46 AM) *

If not an organized get together a car and coffee at the automotorplex would be a nice way to showcase our 914s as a group.

Isn't that place kind of nuts on C&C days? I've been wanting to go and my dad has shown interest so we could roll in with his 991 cab.

Looks like the next C&C is September 3rd.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 11 2016, 10:46 AM) *

True, would be nice to get the courtyard or something. Assuming we can get our cars running, haha smile.gif

Next years Eurowerks show (Sep 10 2017) is going to have some model specific stuff, maybe we can get a group together for that?

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Aug 11 2016, 10:01 AM) *

How do I get one or two?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=291693
KevinW
I would be interested in coming up to the twin cities. My car won't be on the road until next year.
ConeDodger
Yopu and I are coming to Minnesota on a vacation in September. We plan on going up to the North Shore and putzing around with family and friends. We want to get together with Rick and Sandy for sure. But I'll be watching to see if we can make this work...
iamchappy
You guys, get working on your cars so we can really plan on something..geez..

Ive been to 2 car and coffees this year, you have to get there early to get a good parking place by courtyard, if you go, got to be in line to get in before 6:30 am
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 11 2016, 12:18 PM) *

You guys, get working on your cars so we can really plan on something..geez..

Ive been to 2 car and coffees this year, you have to get there early to get a good parking place by courtyard, if you go, got to be in line to get in before 6:30 am

Great place! Chappy, you know the Alien is way over due for a rebuild. We pushed her way beyond her limits.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 11 2016, 12:16 PM) *

Yopu and I are coming to Minnesota on a vacation in September. We plan on going up to the North Shore and putzing around with family and friends. We want to get together with Rick and Sandy for sure. But I'll be watching to see if we can make this work...

Rob you better call us! We were talking about Reno again the other day.
vintage914racer
I'm in for a get together as long as it doesn't conflict with my schedule. I should be able to drag my -6 to it and possibly a colleague and his car.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 11 2016, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 11 2016, 12:16 PM) *

Rob you better call us! We were talking about Reno again the other day.

evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
Time to get yours and mine together at the same events! evilgrin.gif
minnesota loon
I'm up for it.
sixnotfour

I was planning a trip see my Dads Brothers...then Slits Fd that up..bless his heart.....pick a date, could still work for Suzie and I
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 12 2016, 02:26 PM) *

I was planning a trip see my Dads Brothers...then Slits Fd that up..bless his heart.....pick a date, could still work for Suzie and I

unsure.gif This could turn into a party... beerchug.gif beer.gif
914Subaru
I am doing everything I can to get mine on the road this year. I am off work all next week so we will see what happens. Love to see some 914's up north.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 12 2016, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 12 2016, 02:26 PM) *

unsure.gif This could turn into a party... beerchug.gif beer.gif

We've narrowed it down a bit. I will start my vacation 9/20 and it will be for three weeks. Somewhere in there, we will take the train to Chicago with a sleeper car and the whole nine yards, and then spend the night in Chicago. In the morning, we'll get a rental car and head up to Minnesota. There will be quite a few stops, including the Hormel plant in Austin (you have no idea how popular Spam is in the Philippines sad.gif )
When I have the dates narrowed down a bit, I'll let you know. We can't be gone for the whole three weeks because Yopu can't be away from her desk that long. All I have to do is threaten to quit and I can have as much time as I need! blink.gif
rudedude
How about a trip to Rick's to see a six on the celette?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rudedude @ Sep 1 2016, 01:03 PM) *

I have two factory 6's here, the Raspberry car, a 912, a 59 Austin Healey bugeye, the limo, the 70 Mercedes 280SL and the Alien. Lots to see.

If it works out I will host a BBQ or something. I think we need to track Rob's travels. It's a long drive from Chicago. Regardless you all are welcome to travel north any time.
914Subaru
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 2 2016, 04:30 AM) *

I have two factory 6's here, the Raspberry car, a 912, a 59 Austin Healey bugeye, the limo, the 70 Mercedes 280SL and the Alien. Lots to see.

If it works out I will host a BBQ or something. I think we need to track Rob's travels. It's a long drive from Chicago. Regardless you all are welcome to travel north any time.

Rick, I might make it with mine but will be missing lots of parts and held together with zip ties and duct tape.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914Subaru @ Sep 2 2016, 05:26 PM) *

Rick, I might make it with mine but will be missing lots of parts and held together with zip ties and duct tape.

Well Spirit Mountain isn't that far and we both have trailers. beerchug.gif
914Subaru
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 2 2016, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(914Subaru @ Sep 2 2016, 05:26 PM) *

Well Spirit Mountain isn't that far and we both have trailers. beerchug.gif

Thats what I'm thinking.
rudedude
I would love to see what you do. Do you also have jigs for the 912 for your bench? My son is in school at umd and frequently has his black 914 up there.
rick 918-S
I'm building fixtures. I have never seen that black car and I live about 1/2 mile from the college. Stop over.
914Subaru
QUOTE(rudedude @ Sep 2 2016, 09:55 PM) *

I would love to see what you do. Do you also have jigs for the 912 for your bench? My son is in school at umd and frequently has his black 914 up there.

Anymore thoughts on a Minnesota 914 get together?
BBQ at Ricks in Duluth?
September 17, 2016 6th Annual Oktoberfest German Car Show, Chanhassen, MN 55317 ?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914Subaru @ Sep 14 2016, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(rudedude @ Sep 2 2016, 09:55 PM) *

Anymore thoughts on a Minnesota 914 get together?
BBQ at Ricks in Duluth?
September 17, 2016 6th Annual Oktoberfest German Car Show, Chanhassen, MN 55317 ?

I will firm up my plans in the next couple days and contact Rick with them. I will not be there by the 17th though... evilgrin.gif
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif LMK beerchug.gif
914Subaru
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 15 2016, 08:39 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif LMK beerchug.gif

Finally made it to Area 51 with my 914 today for the first annual Area 51 914 get together. Alternator wasn't charging so need a little charge, thank Rick. This is the maiden voyage for my car.
Click to view attachment
jagalyn
White Bear Lake 914. 73 2.0. from Oregon. 100% original paint.
iamchappy
The oil pump in the engine in my car froze and snapped the intermediate shaft when i started it up for my first drive this Spring, ive been AWOL all summer. The engine is dismanteld just waiting for the time and resources to rebuild it myself this winter. Still not sure of the cause of the failure this is the second time ive had an oil pump sieze nothing was found in the pump but a brass oil restrictor fell out of the engine breather when i disassembled the engine which may have settled in between a gear on the open side of the pump discharge. All the bearings and cam journals look good so no damage from oil starvation looks to have happened car was idling as i was trying to assertain a bad sound coming from the chain tensioner cover when the sound dissappered i turned the engine off and checked the magnetic drain plug to see if there was any debris on it. the circlip from the intermediate shaft was stuck on it, then i knew the lay shaft must of sheared ive seen it before. No other metal was found on the plug or in the oil or filter.
rick 918-S
Great to see Ross finally got to test drive his Suby twin turbo conversion-fixed roof. The car is wicked fast and coming along nicely. The wiring it takes to make it work will make your head spin. I think we should really get serious about a next summer. Pick a date and stick to it. What say yous?

Sorry to read about your engine Chappy. The Alien is also done going on 2 years now. Needs engine seals and paint among other details to make it nice again.
ClayPerrine
Guys,
I had a discussion with Bob Saville at Okteenerfest suggesting to him that we help y'all get a "Great Lakes Ramble" started. If you are willing, I am available to help with event organization and to provide some experience.

I suggest 2019 and because of your northerly location, late August or early September would be a good time.

Let me know if y'all are interested. If so, we need to start planning now.

Clay
rick 918-S
Twisty roads are a challenge to find. Maybe around Stillwater and Hudson WI.? I went on a run with a bunch of 928 guys some years back in that area. Those guys are fast and crazy. aktion035.gif driving.gif The Alien kept up but they have better brakes. unsure.gif
Optimusglen
The alphabet roads around Hastings/RedWing/Winona are pretty good. Essentially going down the Mississippi from the cities.

The difficult bit is that where the roads are good, there's nothing else to do or see. Up in Minneapolis/St.Paul there's plenty of nice sights and great locations for a GTG or show, but not much for good driving roads.

With our weather, IMO the peak time of year is mid-late Sept, or May-June.
rudedude
Rick, will you be around this weekend? I am coming up this weekend and it looks like fishing may be limited and I am interested in seeing your operation
Thanks,
Jule
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rudedude @ Sep 19 2018, 09:00 AM) *

Rick, will you be around this weekend? I am coming up this weekend and it looks like fishing may be limited and I am interested in seeing your operation
Thanks,
Jule

Should be. I will pm my number and info. assimilate.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.