Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group buy -Early rain tray Pre 74 Garvey rain tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Was having these made in fiberglass and didn't really like the finish in the grate area.
These haven't been available in years.

Pics tomorrow

Fiberglass shown below only to get the idea across for the style.
ChrisFoley
I'm in for 3.
walterolin
One!
dlee6204
In for one.
Tom_T
I'm in for 1 Mark - pending pix to confirm finish is close enough to OE for my CW needs, ...

.... & pending hearing how you've reinforced the F & R long vertical sides & bottom in order to resist the heat warping of the original ones, per our emails & PMs a couple of years ago, when you asked me for pix of my factory original to see how they failed/warped.

Click to view attachment
> Note warped bent-down leading edge, which allowed water to cascade onto the engine firewall pad, stay in the pad & cause rust on the firewall & engine tin lip (this & below are 2 of those pix we discussed before).

Also, will your trays come with the 3 bent metal mounting tabs riveted to the pan, as in this pic of the top-side? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

> If not, will you be selling the tabs for us to rivet in? confused24.gif

Thanx for doing these in a factory look material! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
Well.... this has been a long trip to get here.
I have made some minor changes that I think will have a much better payoff.

1- Used a better material, higher forming and melting point.
2- Went slightly thicker than OEM. Not enough to really see it but you can feel it in the weight compared to the OEM.
3- we rolled the edges we are building a trim fixture to make it a little neater, but these will have a 90 roll back on the edges. The originals were injection molded, and completely flat on the edges, this very minor design addition will add rigidity to the edges.

I didn't want to stray too far off OEM, but these are an improvement

The rivets are included (at least for the Group buy) and the metal brackets are optional. I have made them, but if you don't need them, you don't have to pay for them.

Going to do this one a little differently. You will have to bump the thread to get a discount code if you want the GB price. Otherwise it will show full retail on the site. You can pat that if you wish, but MUST use the coupon to get the GB price. Thant way more people will have to come here to get the discount. I'm still surprised that I keep running into people that have never been to 914world!
Mikey914
More
Mikey914
One more inside close up
72SD914
I'm in for one.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 11 2016, 06:43 PM) *

2- Went slightly thicker than OEM. Not enough to really see it but you can feel it in the weight compared to the OEM.
3- we rolled the edges we are building a trim fixture to make it a little neater, but these will have a 90 roll back on the edges. The originals were injection molded, and completely flat on the edges, this very minor design addition will add rigidity to the edges.

The rivets are included (at least for the Group buy) and the metal brackets are optional. I have made them, but if you don't need them, you don't have to pay for them.

Going to do this one a little differently. You will have to bump the thread to get a discount code if you want the GB price. Otherwise it will show full retail on the site. You can pat that if you wish, but MUST use the coupon to get the GB price. Thant way more people will have to come here to get the discount. I'm still surprised that I keep running into people that have never been to 914world!

Sounds & looks good Mark, but I don't see any discount code on here? confused24.gif

PS _ I will want the clips & rivets, & IIRC you said you made your clips with SS, correct? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
peteyd
Im in for one

Pete
Mikey914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 11 2016, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 11 2016, 06:43 PM) *

Sounds & looks good Mark, but I don't see any discount code on here? confused24.gif

PS _ I will want the clips & rivets, & IIRC you said you made your clips with SS, correct? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The code will be PM'd to you when I have these in stock and ready to ship. The clips I did with painted galvanized metal as I had a bunch readily available. I can do stainless as another option for those that want it.
Mark
halmil
Any update on the late rain tray version?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Mark,
I surely want one. Put my name on one and a big thanks for doing these.

Paul
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 12 2016, 09:28 AM) *

The code will be PM'd to you when I have these in stock and ready to ship.

The clips I did with painted galvanized metal as I had a bunch readily available. I can do stainless as another option for those that want it.
Mark

OK on the code.

FYI Mark & All - the stock clips were riveted - not welded - as you can see in the pic of one of my OE tray below, so it's probably a good idea to offer them in SS due to water & rust issues, & SS can be TIG welded as well.

Click to view attachment

> Note that it appears the original tabs above were painted black at the factory, & they are mild steel as noted by the rust, so your GI & painted steel will also work.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
Brad Mayer has my 1st part in hand and hopefully he'll post some installed pics shortly.
Mikey914
These are being trimmed up and will be ready to ship starting Friday.
Mikey914
Codes sent to al that bumped. GB will close in 2 weeks. and we did have to raise the price slightly for those that didn't bump, sorry.
Mikey914
These are listed here
http://www.shop.914rubber.com/914-Early-ra...m?categoryId=-1
iankarr
i'm in for one.
halmil
Does any one know the cut off between the early and late style rain trays? I have a 73.

Thanks in advance

Hal
1970 Neun vierzehn
Just finished ordering. It's GREAT that you produced these. clap56.gif Can't wait to get it. Once again, I'm sure I speak for the multitude when I thank you for your support in helping us to maintain these unique cars in the manner in which they were built.

Paul
Mikey914
These were a part changed in 73 somewhere. I know my 73 had this one. But not sure the cut off. Part # 914.512.189.10
Mikey914
Group buy closed. Those of you that bumped the thread and got the code it's good til the 15th.
Thanks
Tom_T
QUOTE(halmil @ Sep 1 2016, 03:58 PM) *

Does any one know the cut off between the early and late style rain trays? I have a 73.

Thanks in advance

Hal

From what I recall back then Hal, they didn't start the late trays until the `74 MY, & some of them still had early trays in the very early Aug 73 production of 74 MY cars as they used up the parts bin.

IIRC you could still get the early trays at the dealer for replacement at least up to late 76, when my gal buddy got one for her 72 - but I know that by 78-79 they only had the late trays at dealers.

Because they had mixed era parts in bins at the factory, an exact date for many 914 parts & features were loosey-goosey as they used up the older version parts, such as my 8/31/72 built 73 2L having both late front calipers & early rear calipers on the brakes, or it having the chrome window cranks from 70-72 MYs.

Since yours is a 73, I'd suggest your going with these early trays.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
Yes from what I have seen ,my 73 had the early. Nice to know there were some 74 also.

I'll be doing an install on my 75 as it's cracked and just want a more robust tray.
Mark
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 7 2016, 06:25 PM) *

Yes from what I have seen ,my 73 had the early. Nice to know there were some 74 also.

I'll be doing an install on my 75 as it's cracked and just want a more robust tray.
Mark

Hey Mark, your 75 should have the late version, & I know a bunch of members on here are looking for them, but I've lost track of whether it's out yet or not.

BTW - Thanx for the fast order processing & shipment, after my GB order last night! I'm looking forward to seeing & touching it! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
cpavlenko
icon_bump.gif early one
cpavlenko
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Sep 8 2016, 03:00 PM) *

icon_bump.gif early one

oooops, guess I missed out sad.gif
Tom_T
Got mine yesterday Mark.

It looks great & feels much more sturdy than the originals. Great job on this repro!

Unfortunately, it won't get on my 73 2L for a while, being in the sloooow resto still.

For those that missed the GB, these are still well worth the regular price!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.