Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone looking for a Turbo type 4 motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iwanta914-6
http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=291802
Andyrew
Biggest issue I see is he is running the stock fuel injection.
krazykonrad
Everybody knows you can't... blink.gif

Konrad
HAM Inc
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Aug 11 2016, 12:49 PM) *

Everybody knows you can't... blink.gif

Konrad

Not trolling, just sharing info. smile.gif

I've prepped plenty of T4 heads for turbo engines. The heads aren't well suited for it, but with a small bore and low revs they can be made to work for a while.

T4 heads are inherantly weak in the ex port area and as a result are extremely vulenerable to elevated EGT's, which all turbo engines are prone to. This is why small bores work better than big bores, as the bigger the bore, the weaker the head.

Thermal coatings are a must!
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 11 2016, 12:39 PM) *

Biggest issue I see is he is running the stock fuel injection.

Can the MPS take positive pressure?

He might get more hits if he removes the wing and that decal in the back window.

Hard sale being a `76, drops the value by quite a bit.

matthepcat
I know the guy that owns this car. Sold him the wheel adapters off my 914V8 7 years ago. It used to have a nice blue paint job on it. Certainly a stalled project.
2mAn
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 11 2016, 03:32 PM) *

He might get more hits if he removes the wing and that decal in the back window.

...and the wheels, and the ruined "paintjob" and....

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 11 2016, 05:31 PM) *

I know the guy that owns this car. Sold him the wheel adapters off my 914V8 7 years ago. It used to have a nice blue paint job on it. Certainly a stalled project.

ambitions were quite high on this project

all that said, it would be cool to see this finished
Mike Bellis
it's a '76 and will never pass a smog test... sad.gif
JeffBowlsby
Seems to me that when Jeff Shyu was doing his, he used a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

He also was playing with the reference air pressures of the MPS to get it to work with the turbo. In stock configuration the MPS references intake manifold pressure and ambient air pressure on either side of the diaphragm.

For the turbo set-up Brad Anders suggested to him to use intake manifold pressure and some other condition...I want to say it was to close up the two ambient air vent ports for more of an absolute pressure reference, but I could easily be wrong and that does nto sound right. I don't understand how the correct pulse width could be attained using an MPC based system.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 11 2016, 02:03 PM) *
Not trolling, just sharing info. smile.gif

That's an old inside joke. "Everybody knows you can't turbo a 914!"

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 11 2016, 07:45 PM) *

Seems to me that when Jeff Shyu was doing his, he used a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. ... I don't understand how the correct pulse width could be attained using an MPC based system.

If the fuel pressure is right, you don't really need the correct pulse width. But fuel pressure is a pretty coarse adjustment, I think...

--DD
Andyrew
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 12 2016, 08:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 11 2016, 07:45 PM) *

Seems to me that when Jeff Shyu was doing his, he used a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. ... I don't understand how the correct pulse width could be attained using an MPC based system.

If the fuel pressure is right, you don't really need the correct pulse width. But fuel pressure is a pretty coarse adjustment, I think...

--DD

I agree. Granted people have been doing it on Honda's and other 4 cyls for years. They generally all blow up though.. Its not a long term solution.

I think the only real solution is a standalone system like Megasquirt. Being able to adjust the timing will really help low end torque and the ability to run lower boost for a higher power gain.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 11 2016, 06:17 PM) *

it's a '76 and will never pass a smog test... sad.gif

Smogging a '76 with NO mods is trouble enough..
Cracker
run (away)
Bulldog9
I'm finding this tempting...... $3500?
Mueller
No intercooler that I can see, that it going to be some hot air going into that motor for sure!

Hopefully the buyer knows CA smog laws and he doesn't sell it to someone as-is and new owner gets surprised when the DMV asks for the smog cert which will not exist.

Unless a super clean rust free chassis I don't see it being worth that much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.