Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine almost out of the iamchappy turbo car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I am down to the last 5 bolts and the engine will be separated from the car, I will start to dig into it to find out why the oil pump seized, I am willing to bet that I was the cause when I drilled and tapped the oil scavenge pump into the back of the cam, the shop vac and magnet I fear didn't get the job done and chunks and filings are now part of the oil pump.
I will keep posting as I dig deeper into the internals and discover my findings.

I hate you oil pump you may ruin my summer.

I hate you Iamchappy for dropping chunks of metal into the bowels of the engine, I will never forgive me.
Mueller
i'd say good luck, but I don't think it's going to help much unsure.gif

are you sure qarl didn't put a vodoo hex on your car trying to get you to give up on 914s and get a Lotus instead???? wacko.gif
Dave-O
If you need a hand with anything just let me know, I'm free every night and on saturday afternoon.

David
Maltese Falcon
David, if you do wind up splitting the case--only way into the pump, replace that SC pump with the 930 pump. It's 40% larger and will serve you well with your extra oil "Needs". Also -way better in G load situations than an undersized pump. Check the catalog companies, forget the dealer Proll'y over $1K mad.gif
Marty
rick 918-S
We'll send you some pictures from the Gold Coast. Wish you were going with us buddy. Sorry to hear about the pump. Remember when I had the pump problem? I got lucky, Maybe you will too.
iamchappy
Qarl has not given up on 914's, he's still buying sh-t for it, I dont know how that is possible as I have seen and touched his stash of brand new perfect 914 parts and cant believe there is anything he doesn't have. When parts not available anymore he has the parts made which end up benefiting us all. And he is a collector of 914 memorabilia also.
Just wait, when Qarl fires up the 3.4 in his 914 and takes it for a spin he will start to babble like a baby.

Dave I will let you know if help is needed.
iamchappy
Marty got any piston cylinder recommendations. I can start using the current ones for ash trays, right!
iamchappy
I am considering purchasing a good used engine to hold me over till I can build the other one the right way.
That way I can still get out there and test everything and drive it sooner than later.

My engine was rebuilt less than 50,000 miles ago so there is a lot there that is still good. Items replaced include head studs, carrera tensioners, all bearings,_gaskets, oil return tubes, rod bolts and nuts, rings, cams, oil switches for gauges, distributor and other little parts.

I have never rebuilt an engine other than lawnmower and go kart engines so I am a little intimidated by the undertaking.

SpecialK
My condolences on the premature demise of your engine sad.gif

[hijacked]
But your avatar is killing me.......looks just like my dog when he was a pup. He used to sleep on his back just like that.......it was kind of wierd, like a hair little baby. unsure.gif

[hijacker's eliminated ar15.gif ,now back to the subject]

Again...very sad about the '6'
iamchappy
I ordered the Dempsy book and will start to review and accumulate tools.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.