Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rookie ? on Big bore eng ..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
seen an AD for a 1976 Big Bore Eng 2.2 or 2.4 .. I Don't no much about these engines are they are worth the money? .. or are you best with the Jake Raby build instead .. What is your guys thoughts of the two ?? Thanks for the feedback smile.gif
Cracker
I am not in my wheelhouse regarding this but my first teener did come with a 2.4 FAT motor - it was a very conservative street build with 160 hp. Raby's shop is just up the road from me and while he certainly may be the best - he's certainly not for everyone. My engine wasn't cheap with receipts totaling $11k...if I had a t4 again, I wouldn't want anymore than the FAT motor.

T
Tom_T
The FAT guys &/or one of their shops for sub-work taught Jake Raby BTW.

I'd say the FAT is the best in the industry, & with numerous Baja 500 & 1000 winners to their credit.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
VWTortuga336
I've got my 2366 listed here for sale. While I never ran it (so take this with a grain of salt) I did a fair amount of research before I started collecting parts for the build. What I found really boiled down to a few things:

1) Bigger cylinder bore = less cooling surface = need for additional cooling
2) To address the need for additional cooling, you'll need to at least add an auxiliary oil cooler and / or improved cooling like the DTM system
3) Piston rings won't last long, ~10,000 miles

I wasn't planning on using the car as my DD, so the decreased ring life wasn't an issue for me and adding an oil cooler is a fairly straightforward process.
colingreene
I built my own 2258, doing it yourself is not out of the question.
Woody
Not enough information to answer your post. Who built the engine? Is it bored or stroked? We could go on and on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.