Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decisions, decisions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
So... as some of you know, I currently own a Creamsicle that is an ongoing project as well as my daily driver. I bought this 914 in the spring of 2010 as a "barn find" that had been neglected for nearly 20 years. blink.gif In the six years I have owned the car, the drive train, suspension, and brakes have all been rebuilt/upgraded by me. I also had a bit of bodywork and paint done a couple years ago though it is not holding up too well in some places.

It is currently a non-numbers matching LE since the case was apparently messed up beyond repair when it spun a rod bearing a few years ago. I think Jake still has the case, however. Now powered by a Raby 2056 built from a 1.8 case.

The next phase of restoration is rust repair along with correcting an old front panel repair. Not sure I will ever be able to get this done due to time and cost to have it repaired correctly - pretty much a full restoration of the body. hissyfit.gif

Enter the RPM Supercharged / GT-flared / 5-lug Fuchs 914 drooley.gif
This car is beautiful and has a lot of cool features. Though built on a '75 chassis, many parts from a real -6 were used on this build - ignition switch, steering column, suspension, etc I won't say no rust but at least no rot. Don't get me wrong... the car needs a little TLC to get it just right but it is a solid base. And, yes, it does run!

I have a chance at purchasing this car. Of course, I would need to sell my LE first. dry.gif

What would you do in my situation? Sell the LE and buy the S/C? or keep the LE? confused24.gif
I have always liked the LE cars. Had a Bumble Bee "back in the day". I love my Creamsicle - a lot of work has gone into it to get it to where it is today. And it is kinda cool owning a factory limited production car.

But... the S/C 914 is suh-weet! wub.gif

If I did sell the LE, I would most likely pull the Raby and replace with a good running stock 2.0 w/FI.
I'd then drop the S/C engine and store it while running the Raby. To me, the S/C engine is an interesting bit of history, but what I really like is the overall look/build of the 914 itself.

Just looking for what others may think. Some rhetorical questions: If I sold the LE, would I be kicking myself in future years as the value goes up more than a one-off? Or do the -6 bits, steel GT flares, etc offset that? Do I even care about the future value?

I love driving my 914 so maybe the better question is... of the two, which is going to handle/drive better? The LE with 21mm torsion bars, 140# springs, stock (at the moment) shocks, front sway bar, and Mahle rims with 205/50 tires? Or the 914-6 suspension with 6" & 7" 5-bolt Fuchs under a flared body? (not sure what torsion bars/springs/shocks/sways are on that car).

Thanks!

driving.gif
RickS
You, my friend, are on the horns of a dilemma. The collect ability of your cream sickle is shot without the numbers matching case. As a result don't expect numbers matching dollars for it. I understand your love for it due to your sweat equity.

If you want to take performance to the next level, the other car with your Raby is the ticket.

So the question is, do you want what most sports cars guys want - ultimate performance with good looks or pretty good performance with a classic look? Most guys like projects so what would be the most interesting on an ongoing basis?
poorsche914
Thanks for the response, RickS.

I realize my LE will never be worth top dollar just for being an LE. TBH, I have never been into 914s for the potential value. My first 914 in the mid '80s was in great condition and ran fine but I still sunk the purchase price into a rebuilt engine and gearbox among other performance goodies. A second 914 I had customized with paint and bodywork (slantnose... it was the '80s dry.gif ) $$$$ long gone!

I have been drawn to the LE cars due to their uniqueness. I also like to customize my cars. With my Creamsicle, I feel I am limited somewhat and obligated to keep it at least looking like a Creamsicle. With any other 914, I would feel free to do as I please (and some would argue go ahead and do whatever you want to the CS).

In my eyes, the RPM 914 has all the right stuff: steel flares, genuine -6 parts, 5-lug Fuchs. And the supercharged 2.0 is fairly unique in its own right. I told the owner it is the first 914 I've seen (within my budget) that I would sell my LE to purchase. And, part of owning a 914 for me is not just the driving but also the tinkering. I could never own a garage queen rolleyes.gif

Thought I'd present this to the board for thoughts and comments. I know in the end it is a personal decision.

Thanks

driving.gif
Mueller
Not enough time to write much right now, most important Q is why is the Supercharged car for sale?

I thought it was just recently sold and if so why is new owner unloading it already?

If a different car and owner ignore above post
poorsche914
The owner of this particular supercharged car (how many are out there?) has had it maybe a year. He likes to buy unusual 914s, tinker with them for a bit, and then sell. He is a friend and neighbor. I posted a short video clip of the engine running a few months back but couldn't locate it here on the site. Headed out for a photoshoot event now.

Interestingly enough, I recently came into contact with another guy in east TN who says his 914 is also supercharged. It has fiberglass flares, generic chrome "western" wheels (the ones you see on Chevys with 8 holes around the center), and is needing some work. The owner of that one is only about 20 years old. Not sure where he came across that particular 914. Hoping to meet up with him one day and find out.

driving.gif
Tom_T
Having met you & seen your 'Sicle a few years back when we were in the Asheville area & you did your Smokies run near there, I'd say that it's going to be more reliable for you as a DD with the 2L D-jet transplant you mentioned.

It will give you far more economical DD use than the custom SC - even with the 2056 transplant (cuz IIRC & I'm assuming it's got dual 2-throat carbs - Webbers or Dels etc.), & the "built" car is probably a bit heavier with more unsprung weight due to the 5-lug set-up, which may be a tad under-powered running the 2056

Also, you know your 914 & where the boogaboos lie, whereas - who knows what's going on with the SC.

And you can do plenty of tinkering & tire sizing with it, & maybe go with Koni Reds F & R when you do the shocks (they were THE thing to do back in the day, & recco'd by my factory trained 914 guy back in 1980 over Bils).

As for the matching numbers issue - maybe try to get the spun case from Raby - he should give it to you for free if it was done under your ownership - or at least for scrap value if not. Then you may find another shop at some point you MAY be able to repair it (or get the estimate for it) & have it as a matching nos. LE & resultant value. Also, if you can find that replacement 2L/D-jet with a Porsche "EX" GA case (or get one form Porsche if they still have them), then you can get to almost matching nos. values - which at 40+ years on isn't that uncommon to have an exchange motor on driven cars.

True that EX route won't be as valuable as matching nos. if the original case could be repaired & rebuilt as your "new" 2L/D-jet to put back in, but it would be close, & original confirmed LEs will continue to go up in value over time.

As for the bodywork repairs, you may be able to save some cost by sourcing a nice straight & rust-free fender or whatever panels were involve - over time consuming body work - but a true body guy can adive better on that. If you're MIG/TIG capable, the cut-n-weld may be the route for you to do a home repair - vs. the skills needed for top quality body panel straightening honed from years of experience.

In either case, get 'er up on a body rack (old school Cellett or new digital type) to see if any unibody pulling to straighten up anything is needed, then do that before any repairs.

So my recco would be to sink the cash into your known LE, over getting into a new project with many unknowns, & which may not serve your DD needs as well, nor will that SC conversion have the future value of an LE in any level of matching nos. or not IMHO.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
poorsche914
Thanks for your input, Tom.

My Creamsicle has come a looong way since you saw it back in 2012! Pretty much all mechanicals have been reworked. Now running dual Weber 44s on the Raby build. Dyno'd at around 150hp&tq with open header system. So plenty of power even with street exhaust. Not exactly economical, however lol-2.gif The 2.0 FI that I removed was a strong runner and if I decide to sell the LE, it will be reinstalled after replacing rings and seals.

Yes, Jake still has the original case for the LE and is mine for the asking... just have to go pick it up. Even if it couldn't be repaired, I think it would be good to keep it with the original chassis.

Only boogaboos left on the LE are rust and cosmetic. Cosmetics I don't mind dealing with but the rust and body repair is well beyond anything I want to attempt. As for the s/c car, I haven't taken a super close look at it but it appears solid. And it would be fun to tinker with to both improve it and make it fit my vision.

I never gave much thought to extra weight the flares and wheels may add. I don't think it would be enough to hurt performance especially from my 2056 (let alone the 170hp supercharged engine!) Anyone have real world experience on possible performance hit when going from narrow body to steel GT flares with wider wheels/tires but with same engine?

At some point, I would like to retire the 914 from every day daily driver status so that I am able to tinker with it and not have to worry about finishing a project to be sure it is drivable come Monday. I have a 2002 GTI that is on the back burner that will become my DD hopefully before the weather turns cold here in Tennessee.

steve
driving.gif
mepstein
The Flares are light. By the time the bodywork is done, maybe a pound on each corner. If you use Fuchs for wheels, it won't be much heavier than the cast alloy mahles. Maybe 2 pounds per wheel and 2 per tire. Probably lighter than steelies. Nothing unusual compared to a mid 80's Porsche 911 and been done and run on 914's for years. Tom might be steering you away because he's never driven a flared 914. I have. It's a great ride.
poorsche914
Thanks, Mark.

I didn't think the weight difference was much but wasn't sure. A friend had a 1.7 with f/g flares, 5-lug adaptors and Boxster rims and he seemed to get around just fine.

I have been trying to meet up with the owner of the s/c 914 the past few days but can never catch him at home. dry.gif

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.