Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspension assembly fit question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi guys,

I took my complete front-end apart to replace the wear items and a new coat of paint.

While test fitting the nicely powder coated parts, I ran into a fit "issue" with the cross-
member and the a-arm bushing "clamps" or whatever they are called.

One side fits about a 1/3 deep, the other not at all.
I made a Delrin jig, to ensure that the clamps are round. They looked a bit oval but are
nice and round now.

Question: are the clamps supposed to be "press" or loose/hand fitted?

Thanks for the input!

PS: I did sand the powder coating down a bit, however, it didn't change anything.
draganc
Jig fitting
porschetub
Looks nice but adds thickness to inside diameters,more than most think ,jeez I can't even afford to powercoat in my town the prices are mental.
Cad plating is also out of the question for me same issue.
Ream those ID's out with a flipper wheel or similar and when you have clearance coat with a suitable metal primer before fitting the bushes,good luck.
draganc
Thanks but that doesn't answer my question, since I already sanded down the powder coating.
One of the round "clamps" fits easily half way into the cross bar and the other not at all. I made sure that they are around and sanded down.

Are they supposed to be press fitted or loose hand fitted into the cross bar.

PS: FYI, I paid about $100 for the powder on the arms and crossbar.
whitetwinturbo
The stock tolerances are already "tight". Any additional material may give the same results. Just like human bodies........the left and right sides are typically not the same.
rhodyguy
Did you buy or turn those bushings yourself? Either way, you're going to have to make a provision for zerk fittings. How do you plan on getting the torsion bar in and installing the The rear end caps for adjusting ride height? Those white pieces look as tho the ride quality will be stiff and harsh. Very. See if you can budget in pieces designed to fit and fuction. You will need an alignment after you set your ride height. Tear it apart a second time and you will be paying to do it again.
draganc
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 13 2016, 09:18 AM) *

Did you buy or turn those bushings yourself?

I only turned the white Delrin plug to make sure that the ID is round.

Here is what I'm using for bushings:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-914-Bush...f%257Ciid%253A1

Either way, you're going to have to make a provision for zerk fittings.
They claim it's self "lubing" due to the graphite. Marketing BS or true?

How do you plan on getting the torsion bar in and installing the The rear end caps for adjusting ride height?
Reverse order of disassembly? No? Any suggestions?

You will need an alignment after you set your ride height.
Yes, I'm planning on it.

See answers above in your comment/quote.

Thanks, dc
PS: I know about all the other better solutions I.e. Tangerine, elephant ect! I have been fudging around for too long and want to get her finally done. And not wait until I can budget the good stuff.
rhodyguy
Why are the ones in the eBay ad black with thru holes and yours are white with no holes? Confused. Cheaping out now is just going to cost you more down the road. Prob enough to buy the fancy gear. Good luck.
draganc
Here are the parts and install lube....
draganc
Lol, I made the white Delrin PLUG, as a jig to check the ID roundness. They will not be used!
IMHO, the black semi-soft graphite bushings are a step up to the rubber bushings. Yes the ride will be harsher but it's not my daily ride and I don't mind the firmness for the weekend ride.

Did anybody install those on a 914 before?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.