Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Urethane suspention bushes,good or bad ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Was thinking of going to these for shock tower mounts and front sway bar bushes.
Know little about them so need info,have heard about noise issues but the fact they are less compliant than rubber should help?
Yes I have more research underway,just floating the idea @ present,thanks
ConeDodger
What do you hope to accomplish?

Poly bushings tend to give you a harsh ride. No big deal in a purpose built car intended to corner like a carving knife but if you want your wife or girlfriend to actually ride in the car? sad.gif

The only bushings I have found to give a great ride and precise cornering are Elephant Bushings or needle bearing bushings if you can find a set.
Cairo94507
I have had the hard poly-bushings in other cars and they made noise most of the time despite being properly lubed.

For my Six I went with Elephant Racing rubber bushings as they are one step better than the OEM rubber, but are still rubber. Of course, I have not driven the car to check out their actual performance - but they come highly recommended. MY goal is a good, comfortable, decent handling, street car.

76-914
On my to do list:

Remove the urethane bushings, throw them in the trash and replace w/ Elephant Racing set up.
Mike Bellis
I don't mind the ride on mine. What bugs me is the noise. Especially if I come out of a driveway off camber, for the next few miles or days it will squeak really bad. Loud squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak. Every bump. Squeak, squeak, squeak. Not a high pitched squeak. A low pitched creaking squeak, squeak, squeak squeak... Almost sounds like the car is breaking in two pieces. Squeak, squeak, squeak.... dry.gif
whitetwinturbo
There are lubricant solutions to the uro-squeak beer3.gif but the ride will still be harsher than stock.
porschetub
Squeak,squeak,squeak......got it thanks guys ,everthing I have read is true sad.gif sad.gif .
ER will be on my list for these,Chuck has been great to deal with in the past.
ThePaintedMan
Weird. I used Eric's bushings available at PMB, followed the instructions, but 10000 miles on them and 10 hours of track abuse on them, and they never squeaked. confused24.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 13 2016, 09:29 PM) *

Weird. I used Eric's bushings available at PMB, followed the instructions, but 10000 miles on them and 10 hours of track abuse on them, and they never squeaked. confused24.gif

You must be doing it wrong then. LOL slap.gif
ClayPerrine
I took out the urethane bushings on Betty's car, and replaced them with a set of Elephant bushings on both the front and rear. The car used to pop and squeak, now it rides nice. No real noticeable change in handling either. Maybe if you were trying to wring the last tenth out of the car on the AX course they would be better. But for street use the Elephant bushings are, IMHO, the way to go.

I have to do the rears on my car. I took out McMark's needle bearings and put in the Elephant bushings. There are lots of roads here that are a bit rough, and the needle bearings were beating the hell out of me. I kept them for the future, maybe I will put them in a track car someday.

Remember this is my $.02. YMMV.
tradisrad
I love my Elephant poly bronze bushings. It was hard to part with the $$ for them, but I think they are worth it. They really do provide a smooth ride.
jack20
I installed Elephant rubber bushings up front and Elephant PolyBronze in the rear trailing arms. I tried the poly bushings first. Big mistake. Had to take them out and do it all over again with the PolyBronze. Couldn't stand the noise.
I couldn't ask for a better balance of ride vs handling. The car is just a pleasure to drive.
Jack
JmuRiz
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 13 2016, 05:40 AM) *

On my to do list:

Remove the urethane bushings, throw them in the trash and replace w/ Elephant Racing set up.

Same here, installed urethane many moons ago, when the /6 goes in, so does a set of elephant rubber bushings
Cracker
If you are not tracking stick with stock bushings...done, quiet and easy. If you are tracking...skip to poly bronze or equivalent.

Tony
jmitro
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 15 2016, 10:36 AM) *

If you are not tracking stick with stock bushings...done, quiet and easy.

I thought stock bushings were NLA (edit....unless you mean the Elephant Racing rubber bushings)
rhodyguy
The elephant poly bronze are just a tad more expensive than the rubber replacement ones they offer. For the money, I'd go (went) poly.
Andyrew
Love love love my needle bearings.
rhodyguy
The sets Mike made?
Andyrew
That be the one's. Mike actually installed mine for me smile.gif
rhodyguy
Nice. The 4 lug hubs for vented rotors were works of art.
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 15 2016, 12:59 PM) *

I haven't looked to see what condition or what type of bushing I have on my latest 914 yet....that being said if I do change them I think I'd pony up the $ for Chucks poly setup. I still have extra bearings and races left over from that venture but I'll probably sell them to someone that wants spare parts.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 15 2016, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 15 2016, 12:59 PM) *

I haven't looked to see what condition or what type of bushing I have on my latest 914 yet....that being said if I do change them I think I'd pony up the $ for Chucks poly setup. I still have extra bearings and races left over from that venture but I'll probably sell them to someone that wants spare parts.

Let me know if you do sell. Id like to have spare parts smile.gif
Cracker
Personally, I recommend Rebel Racing's bushings...if you can get past the sporadic communication. Some of the few truly tested around a corner at 160+ mph...and driven comfortably on the street, in a teener.

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.