Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: i got a quote yesterday,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattillac
an insurance adjuster inspected some damage from a hit and run that happened a few weeks ago. they'll cover a little over $1K for repairs (a dent in the left rear QP).

well, this is a totally foreign situation for me. blink.gif i've never had insurance cover damages to my vehicle. smash.gif the insurance company will cut me a check for the repair cost. the check will be issued to me and the repair shop of my choice. to be honest, i would rather spend the cash on new engine parts that i desperately need. driving.gif

has anyone else been in this situation? no point fixing bodywork on a car that needs engine work. wink.gif just wondering who's BTDT
tat2dphreak
if you own the car, they should make the check out to you... the only time i know of the insurance co. making the check to the repair place.. is when the bank hold the note...

just tell the company you want the check outright...
mattillac
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 13 2005, 06:55 AM)
if you own the car, they should make the check out to you... the only time i know of the insurance co. making the check to the repair place.. is when the bank hold the note...

the adjuster said the check would be issued to me and the repair shop.

i guess i could still cash it as long as my name is on it.
Mueller
QUOTE (mattillac @ Apr 13 2005, 07:57 AM)

that might be considered fraud, not too sure, they are giving you the money to fix your car, not to make money to spend it on other things....
rhodyguy
when my car was boosted and the adj started throwing out numbers i kept on saying "ok. i'll run that figure by the porsche dealership". my carrier is allstate, the guy did the check on the spot, made out to me.

k
mattillac
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 13 2005, 07:00 AM)

that might be considered fraud, not too sure, they are giving you the money to fix your car, not to make money to spend it on other things....

that's kinda what i was thinking. but would the insurance company verifiy the repairs once they're completed? if not, how will they ever know? idea.gif happy11.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 13 2005, 07:00 AM)

Sounds like he is going to fix his car to me. rocking nana.gif
You can even do the repairs yourself. charge your self labor and materials. Plus there is a possiblity you get the repair done right and on time.
Joe Bob
I've never had an insurnace company verify repairs. They are paying YOU for the repair...how, when or where it is done is none of their business....screw them. Use it as you see fit.
Cap'n Krusty
If the check says "your name" AND "the body shop", you can't cash it without the body shop's co signature, and in doing so, they verify they've taken the money for the repair work they've done. If they don't do the work, they've committed fraud (and so have you). If they kick back or "cover" your deductible, that's fraud too. Trust me, they get checked. There's a lister on the rennlist 911 classic list who is a state of Cal undercover investigator, and his whole job is tracing this kind of thing. I would guess other states have the same sort of thing, because the insurance industry loves to spend other people's money protecting theirs. The Cap'n
fiid
I'm pretty sure you can ask for the check to be made out to you, and you don't have to get it fixed if you don't want to. The other party did damage to you and are required to cover the value of that damage. If you claimed that you used a rental car for 5 days while it was being fixed, that would be a different question (IMHO). I think you could also just fix the damage yourself - perhaps using the money to buy replacement panels and paint.

mattillac
i do plan on repairing it myself, just not the body damage. smile.gif i guess i need to call them and ask for the check to be put in my name. i don't want to get busted for some kind of fraud. sad.gif but the $1K would be better spent on drivetrain bits. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.