Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feel a thump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spankins6
Hey all, I am new, so sorry if I mess up the flow.
I have tried searching and I can't find issues that other have had that are like mine.

So I bought a 914 off ebay last week, I got a great deal. The only major issue is that when I start from a stop in first gear, it feels like I am running over a pot hole or a large stick under my rear driver side wheel. It only happens in first, and I can't recreate it in any other gears.

I don't feel any binding up, so I dont think its the CV. And the shifter stays in place, so I dont think its the trans mount.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? If so, what do you think it could be?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Loose shock, missing rear sway bar bushing, trailing arm bushing shot, or suspension console ear wallowed, shift rod hitting something, loose engine tin, etc. Get underneath and look at everything
Elliot Cannon
agree.gif and welcome.png
forrestkhaag
I have had this same condition exhibited from my car for about two months or more. I have checked the bushings, shift rods and alignment, shocks etc. sways front and back, etc. all to no avail.

Only in first on takeoff and no weird tire wear or any other issues of note.

I need to have my bootyshake.gif AHole obnoxious nextdoor neighbor put his head in front of the rear tire while i take off to see if the sound changes more to that of a pumpkin popping rather than the subtle clunk i now experience. Now that is sa fine sound / if only in my mind.

Sidebar: This freak called the cops the other day when i dropped a 13mm Hazet on my carport slate floor. Ping! that pushed him right over the edge on Sunday morning... WTF.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 15 2016, 03:40 PM) *

I have had this same condition exhibited from my car for about two months or more. I have checked the bushings, shift rods and alignment, shocks etc. sways front and back, etc. all to no avail.

I need to have my bootyshake.gif AHole obnoxious nextdoor neighbor put his head in front of the rear tire while i take off to see if the sound changes more to that of a pumpkin popping rather than the subtle clunk i now experience. Now that is sa fine sound / if only in my mind.

Sidebar: This freak called the cops the other day when i dropped a 13mm Hazet on my carport slate floor. Ping! that pushed him right over the edge on Sunday morning... WTF.gif

He called the cops?? Did it explode when it hit the floor? Did it burst into flames? Or is he just a DICK?
76-914

You want to borrow a rivet gun and a few hundred rivets, Forrest ?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 15 2016, 05:05 PM) *

You want to borrow a rivet gun and a few hundred rivets, Forrest ?

An angle grinder with bad bearings? av-943.gif
mskala
Engine mounts on front support bar sheared?
forrestkhaag
hummmmm Rivet gun... I didn't considered that one.. I like it!! Angle grinder,... i am still trying to wear it out... sounds of production gets the cops over here quick-smart.

Can you say DICK / but my lovely wife will not defile the word DICK referring to this dick.. It is a word that should be reserved for things that work. This dick doesn't work.

Today I took the hood off of my car and filled a couple of holes in my hood from hood pin holes not matching 914-6GT four-place pins now in its future..( with metal and welding tin into it and carefully grinding flat the metal work / no Bondo by the way// ) and this freak put a sound (noise) generator in his bathroom window adjacent to my carport space / zero lot line / no side yard setback / etc. / to deal with the work going on in my space on my property (in a commercially zoned property)

This noise machine features a loop that sounds like creaking metal daemon working against an old double man timber saw blade. He gets one for creativity.

Rivets...... yes.... i think i know how that works.

and then.. Today, this day.. I am splitting firewood for the coming winter - in my carport. It gets down below 80 in December here in Laguna Beach and I have to prepare.

This lame F texts my wife (not me) to complain about the arrangement of my firewood stack on our property. This is what we am dealing with.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 15 2016, 08:07 PM) *

Bingo !
Can be induced in any low gear with aggressive on/off throttle
914_teener
agree.gif

Back on topic.

Someone probably jacked the car up from the engine. Don.t do that.
Spankins6
Thank you everyone for the quick responses!

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 15 2016, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 15 2016, 08:07 PM) *

Bingo !
Can be induced in any low gear with aggressive on/off throttle

I tried recreating it in 2nd and 3rd with aggressiveness, did have the same result.
Again, I am 914 new. What is involved with changing the motor mounts? Do I have to drop any part of the engine? Do you guys have any suggestions on a manual or write up?

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 15 2016, 10:43 PM) *

agree.gif

Back on topic.

Someone probably jacked the car up from the engine. Don.t do that.

Good to know! I always try my best to jack at jack points.
TheCabinetmaker
OK. So it does bump in 2nd and 3rd? Then mounts are a good bet. Not too hard. Jack car up. Support engine, remove bottom nuts from mounts. Remove shift rod. Remove mount bar. Remove oil filter. Remove top mount nuts with a quarter inch ratchet. Install in reverse. Good time to change oil and filter since the filter is off.Should take less than two hours. Then drive and enjoy!
Spankins6
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 16 2016, 03:07 PM) *

OK. So it does bump in 2nd and 3rd? Then mounts are a good bet. Not too hard. Jack car up. Support engine, remove bottom nuts from mounts. Remove shift rod. Remove mount bar. Remove oil filter. Remove top mount nuts with a quarter inch ratchet. Install in reverse. Good time to change oil and filter since the filter is off.Should take less than two hours. Then drive and enjoy!

I meant to say doenst have the same result. But I am leaning towards the motor mount. Since the CV looks to be fine.

Thank you again!
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 15 2016, 04:07 PM) *

Absolutely. IMO, that thump is yer engine lifting up and dropping back down into the engine bar. Your mount is likely split right in half, at least on one side.
Steve
I had the same problem years ago. Torque the side front nut on the trailing arms
cwpeden
Ditto, before the hole in the body gets buggered.
Spankins6
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Aug 16 2016, 04:01 PM) *

Absolutely. IMO, that thump is yer engine lifting up and dropping back down into the engine bar. Your mount is likely split right in half, at least on one side.

Thanks again! Need to order the parts, where do you guys like ordering from?
stugray
One of my favorite tools now when troubleshooting these types of problems: A GoPro 3 and my cellphone.

I mount the gopro to look at the item of interest (fuel pressure gauge, suspension member, engine mounts, etc.)

Then you can connect to the gopro with your cellphone and watch in realtime as you drive.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Spankins6 @ Aug 17 2016, 01:53 PM) *

Get under the car and look before you order anything. A bad engine mount can be seen. Loose shocks can be seen. Missing bushings can be seen.

Don't just throw money at it. Take an afternoon, get under the car and look.

(and yes - I know damn well the pot calling the kettle black)
Zach
stugray
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 18 2016, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Spankins6 @ Aug 17 2016, 01:53 PM) *

Get under the car and look before you order anything. A bad engine mount can be seen. Loose shocks can be seen. Missing bushings can be seen.

Don't just throw money at it. Take an afternoon, get under the car and look.

(and yes - I know damn well the pot calling the kettle black)
Zach

Yes!
I should have mentioned in my post above, you dont need any fancy camera.
Just climb under the car and have a look.
The rubber engine mounts are under the fan shroud on top on the engine mount bar.
(That is for a later - side shift)
For a tail shift, there will be solid brackets in that location and the soft mounts are outboard where the bar connects to the body.
TheCabinetmaker
Broken mounts are not always visible to the eye. They can appear fine when they are in fact not!
Mblizzard
Besides looking, get a small pry bar and try to move things like shocks, bushings, and mounts. It is amazing what you can find this way.
boxsterfan
Get under the car and take some quality pictures. Post them here.

I wouldn't drive it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.