Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby tranny adaptor for type IV motor now available
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jon H.
I'm not sure if this was posted already but in case it wasn't.
http://www.subarugears.com/Adaptors/Adaptors.html

IPB Image
The swap would be pricey but it would be sweet! I've swapped a Suby tranny into my vanagon and its night and day.

Regards'

Jon
jim_hoyland
Is this a better fit for 914's with Sudy motors ? or an upgrade for a type IV ?
mepstein
Or a Suby trans on the back of a Porsche 6?
Mark Henry
For different motors to the subi trans, if you go to the site there are several motors that can be adapted.
For a Bug, bus or maybe a 911 they sell gears to reverse the trans for rear engine.
Jon H.
It's so you can use the type IV motor with a Suby tranny. I'm not sure about the six motor? The adaptor plate will work but I'm not sure about the flywheel? Can a typeIV fly wheel be used on a six? Its a great company with awesome customer service!

Jon h.
Chris H.
Not sure how it works in this configuration but on Subaru swaps the flywheel for the trans is what you use regardless of the Subaru engine fitted. My EG33 has a 2006 WRX flywheel bolted to it. I have no idea if this is relevant to the kit but that looks like a lightened Subaru flywheel in the pic.

The 5MT is a good trans as long as you find one that has not been beaten to hell by a youngster (or oldster ) who has done 4WD neutral drops or missed shifts at 7krpm. All you care about is the trans, the center diff is not important since you take that out. As long as it's good you get very smooth, short shifts. For highway cruising you want the higher gear ratio. I think 3.90 which came in most cars (outback, forester). Cheaper too. Mine is 3.7. The .2 does make a difference biggrin.gif .
Jon H.
Your right about swapping suby trannys and motors around, you can use any suby flywheel but with this set up you will need the custom flywheel with the adaptor plate. The adaptor plate will add some distance between the engine and transmission. Also with this set up you will also be using a suby starter which will have different tooth pitch.

I agree with the gearing, I'm running 3.93's in my westy.

Regards'

Jon h
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.