Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats my car worth
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blackmoon
Help,

I am currently in the middle of a divorce and my ex's attorney has valued my 1975 Porsche 914 with a 2.27l motor at $17,000. My attorney at this point said if she wants it for that price let her have it. I agree. However, i would like to know if there is anyone in the local to me who can give me a fairly accurate written appraisal for what the car is worth in its current conditions. I live in Martinez, Ca.

If it appraises less than I would be willing to try and keep the car. TIA for any help

sad.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(blackmoon @ Aug 16 2016, 09:45 AM) *

Help,

I am currently in the middle of a divorce and my ex's attorney has valued my 1975 Porsche 914 with a 2.27l motor at $17,000. My attorney at this point said if she wants it for that price let her have it. I agree. However, i would like to know if there is anyone in the local to me who can give me a fairly accurate written appraisal for what the car is worth in its current conditions. I live in Martinez, Ca.

If it appraises less than I would be willing to try and keep the car. TIA for any help

sad.gif

I have a narrow body 75 with a 3.0L and I put my value at between $16K and $18K. So depending on interior, suspension and other mods/upgrades it can go up from there in my eyes.
sb914
Keep it! ar15.gif
Perry Kiehl Clone
If it's a clean, straight, non-rusted car; and the conversion was done neat and correct then I'd say $17k could be on the low side.
mb911
My old 75 2.7 6 conversion just resold for 27k on BAT a month ago.. I sold the car 15 years ago for 12k so you get the idea.
era vulgaris
That sucks the position you're in. Value is going to depend on the overall condition of the car, what else has been done to the car, and to some extent who built the engine. My '75 2270 is for sale in the classifieds right now. I'll let you know what one is worth when it sells. smash.gif
blackmoon
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 16 2016, 11:25 AM) *

My old 75 2.7 6 conversion just resold for 27k on BAT a month ago.. I sold the car 15 years ago for 12k so you get the idea.

its a type 4 motor not a six conversion
infraredcalvin
You're in a site full of enthusiasts, so your going to get some optimistic opinions of value. On the other hand if you were selling here for an optimistic price this same group would be the first to point out every singe flaw that could devalue the car.

What's your goal? If it's to keep the car you'll want to have it valued high enough to where the ex won't take it out of spite, but you also dont want to screw yourself when the value is deducted from your half of the proceeds.

I have no idea what kind of shape your car is in, but $17k for a 4 should be a really nice no questions car. Find some similar cars that have sold here print out, then make sure you know the flaws of your car and the costs to fix them.
914_teener
Having been through a divorce....go for what you can settle.

If you can settle for 17k stratigically then do it. If it is community then in Cali...it is half hers.

I inherited the money for my car and kept any money into it seperate.

So I kept it.

Hope this helps....divorce sucks....hang in there.
Cairo94507
I agree with agreeing on what you can biggrin.gif . $17K seems like a fair price unless the car is a roach. Not saying it is a roach as I have not seen it. Just saying $17K for a running six conversion, seems pretty reasonable (to me). I would try to float value at $15K just to see if they agree to it, but if not, I would ink the check for $8.5K and call that issue done. Sorry you are going through this. Divorce is never a fun thing regardless.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 16 2016, 05:48 PM) *

Just saying $17K for a running six conversion, seems pretty reasonable (to me).

QUOTE(blackmoon @ Aug 16 2016, 02:43 PM) *

its a type 4 motor not a six conversion

Larmo63
This reminds me why I'll never, ever get re-married. My wife passed away, and died refusing to sign the divorce papers. (lucky me)

Everything reverted to me legally.

Divorce is a shitshow, I feel sorry for you. The people who really make out are the lawyers.

I'd try to keep the car, no matter what. Hang in there.
Cairo94507
Oh - sorry. For some reason I saw 2.2 and thought Six. OK even easier to arrive at a value now. I sent you a PM. Just forget about the Six comments and aim for 75 914's. It really makes no difference if it is a 1.8/2.0 or 2.2 to an appraiser unless you have paperwork showing a very recent rebuild and can prove you dropped some serious coin on it.
Andyrew
Do you have pictures of the car? 17k is an appropriate price for a very nice modified 4. But if its rough around the edges then it could be significantly less.

This is central California market were talking.
Mike Bellis
sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Give her the front half...

Then use the rear half and buy a roller. There is a flared roller on craigs list for $4k...
blackmoon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 16 2016, 05:22 PM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Give her the front half...

Then use the rear half and buy a roller. There is a flared roller on craigs list for $4k...

beerchug.gif
toolguy
Force HER to list the car for sale and get a cash buyer. .
Almost no institution will lend money on a 41 years old car, especially in the $17k range. . .

If she finds a buyer, subject to your approval, then pay $1.00 more than the best deal she can find. . If it more than you think it's worth, let it sell and take your 1/2
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
Folks- his car has a 2270 4 cylinder not a 2.27 six.

I would grab the latest excellence magazine market guide which just published and look at the value of a "driver". Also pull up hemmings postings, pano postings, ebay auctions etc...at this point you are actually trying to diminish the value of your own car to basically buy her 1/2 from her. What does your insurance co value it at?
Since the engine has been modded it should automatically be thrown out of the
"concour- level 1" pricing which is good for you.

I'm sorry you are going thru this- divorce can be ugly but there are greener pastures ahead. If you are parting as friends by all means do what is fair and right by both of you. If it turns into a war be prepared to fight for your future. Having your teener in the garage will make things a little better for you, I guarantee.

Good luck going forward,
Andrew

Chris H.
QUOTE(blackmoon @ Aug 16 2016, 11:45 AM) *

Help,

I am currently in the middle of a divorce and my ex's attorney has valued my 1975 Porsche 914 with a 2.27l motor at $17,000.......If it appraises less than I would be willing to try and keep the car. TIA for any help

sad.gif

Based on this information alone my expert opinion is that it sounds like a parts car if you catch my drift wink.gif .

On a serious note, very sorry for the crap news and I hope it gets better soon for you. There are several insurance appraisers here who can tell you the real value of the car through various lenses; insurance value, appraised value, value it would likely sell for, etc. Those people like to PM rather than post stuff on a thread in a forum. There was recently a '75 that was back dated in the classifieds that sold for $12k or less. It was very nice. Not a 2270 but a 2.0 completely rust free, really nice car.

75 2.0

If I was a little more flush I would have bought that one. Brad Mayeur sold a '75 2.0 that was rust free and low mileage for $8500 last fall. Others have sold for more, it just depends on the condition. I have a '75 and can tell you $17,000 is a pretty strong price for a later car unless it's a low miles all original car. Prices have gone up, but it'd have to be a really nice one to SELL for $17k. Is the 2270 a Raby engine built by Jake Raby?

blackmoon
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 17 2016, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(blackmoon @ Aug 16 2016, 11:45 AM) *

Help,

I am currently in the middle of a divorce and my ex's attorney has valued my 1975 Porsche 914 with a 2.27l motor at $17,000.......If it appraises less than I would be willing to try and keep the car. TIA for any help

sad.gif

Based on this information alone my expert opinion is that it sounds like a parts car if you catch my drift wink.gif .

On a serious note, very sorry for the crap news and I hope it gets better soon for you. There are several insurance appraisers here who can tell you the real value of the car through various lenses; insurance value, appraised value, value it would likely sell for, etc. Those people like to PM rather than post stuff on a thread in a forum. There was recently a '75 that was back dated in the classifieds that sold for $12k or less. It was very nice. Not a 2270 but a 2.0 completely rust free, really nice car.

75 2.0

If I was a little more flush I would have bought that one. Brad Mayeur sold a '75 2.0 that was rust free and low mileage for $8500 last fall. Others have sold for more, it just depends on the condition. I have a '75 and can tell you $17,000 is a pretty strong price for a later car unless it's a low miles all original car. Prices have gone up, but it'd have to be a really nice one to SELL for $17k. Is the 2270 a Raby engine built by Jake Raby?

Chris,

it was a kit motor from Raby, I finished to the long block and had Mark D. with Original Customs finish it and install into the car (health reasons kept me from finishing the car at that time.
Porschef
As a stretch, you might be able to trade out the 2270 for a good running 1.7 or 1.8 plus a good amount of cash on the qt...

Would have to be quick and dirty but WTF.gif , it's a divorce... happy11.gif
DaveO90s4
At the risk of sounding too philosophical....

If you and your to-be ex wife are each paying for lawyers out of your yet-to-be divided joint assets then I'm sorry to say their fees will likely exceed the difference in value that you and your wife each have of the 914. In other words, you can probably afford to be relatively generous IF you are not also incurring legal fees.

Divorce is really horrible but can be less horrible if both people act as decent human beings.

Ditch the lawyers, be generous, both come out ahead.

Good luck (btdt)

Dave

JoeDees
You could try finding a professional mediator. I've had friends go through really nasty, hate-filled divorces that found $500 mediators that really took a lot of the heat out of the fire by talking sense that values are not as important as needs and personal meanings when dividing up assets. The agreements/results aren't necessarily legally binding, but become so after taken to the lawyers/judge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.