Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side mirror comparison?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpc
Judging by pricing, there appear to be two different reproduction side mirrors available. One is $140-ish and made by Car Point (as noted on one website), the other is $270-ish and billed as OEM (and I'm guessing not the same as the former). Has anyone compared these side by side? Or compared either one to an original? I'm guessing they are noticeably different from each other, and perhaps from the original. Unfortunately, the ones that came on my car are cheapie aftermarket units, so I'm pretty much starting at square zero.
mepstein
Car point doesn't make anything. They just distribute the reproduction. Same ones that everyone sells. Are you sure the $270 ones are any different?
Cairo94507
OEM does not always mean what we think, believe and expect OEM to mean. Just be careful so you get what you are expecting and not a POS disguised as an OEM part.

I don't mind paying for a nice OEM (Porsche part number) part, but I hate receiving a part advertised as OEM to then see made in China or Mexico on the back.
rpc
No, I'm not sure they're different. I'm assuming (I know....) they are based on the fact that the prices seem to be bi-modally distributed.

I've been around old Porsches for a few years, and I know it's often the case that there is only one supplier with many distributors. Certainly could be the case here.

To modify my first question, does anyone know if there are two manufacturers? And, secondly, has anyone compared a current repro to an original?

Thanks for the bit about CarPoint.
mepstein
QUOTE(rpc @ Aug 16 2016, 04:05 PM) *

No, I'm not sure they're different. I'm assuming (I know....) they are based on the fact that the prices seem to be bi-modally distributed.

I've been around old Porsches for a few years, and I know it's often the case that there is only one supplier with many distributors. Certainly could be the case here.

To modify my first question, does anyone know if there are two manufacturers? And, secondly, has anyone compared a current repro to an original?

Thanks for the bit about CarPoint.

I've seen the repros mirrors in person. They look very nicely made. I can't say if the chrome is as good as original but it's nice to be able to buy the reproduction and have a new looking mirror for your car. I'm really not aware of a better oem $270 mirror but if it's out there, I would like to see it. I'm betting it's just one supplier at the top of the market. (Maybe a pair?) Rob at DC auto is getting all the same 914 and 911 parts as the other suppliers and ive seen all his stuff in person. The reproduction parts are much better quality 95% of the time than in the past. Not URO quality stuff.
Tom_T
Based upon what I paid for my original Porsche mirrors for L & R (real convex factory right), the $270 would be about it's price today, & AFAIK they're still available from Porsche - so I'd suggest that if you're willing to pay $270 each, just go to the Porsche one.

Both Suncoast Porsche & Sunset Porsche have online parts sites which typically give 10-25%+ off list price, so you should be able to get them both in correct part nos.

Also IIRC, on the originals - it's only the bases & arms which are chromed, while the mirror housings are polished SS or aluminum.

Even my 44 year old originals from it's Aug. 1972 build didn't pit on the housings, while the bases & arms did - ergo why I got new matching condition L & R for my resto, since I wanted to add the passenger mirror for safety.

BTW - if you don't want to go to the expense on new originals &/or the R-convex originals are now NLA - you can still use a driver one & flip it for P-side use. It will be flat, but in fact the factory P-side was a very low 10-15% magnification from the convex, that it was very hard for me to tell that they were different. So you're not losing much on visibility with the driver one on the right.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
Yes, the mirror is stainless steel, the base is chrome steel, just like the origional. I still don't believe Porsche makes a mirror. I have not seen one for sale.
Chris914n6
Have to be careful as OEM is a brand name aftermarket supplier now. If the mirror is made in China then anyone willing to buy a quantity from the manufacturer can have the box branded in their name, so likely no difference unless a reseller demanded a higher grade polish or something.
rpc
Thanks for all the observations. I'm going to try to pick up a couple of decent used mirrors. Absent being able to find a couple at a reasonable price, will probably just go with $130 each at DC Automotive ("new German production with gasket and screws"). Seems like a good deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.