Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: welder Q
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
ok, I have to do some light welding soon... I hope to not need it much, but want it to be "good enough" to do the job...

harbor freight has one for around 150, 85 amp MIG welder... runs on 110... good enough? I don't want to spend much money... not over $200 anyway...

they also have a 80 amp for $120...

recommendations?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=44567
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=55247
bondo
I used to have that first one. Now jkeyzer has it. You will need a regulator and a tank of gas. I think it cost me $450 like 3 years ago. Everything is cheaper now, but not THAT much. Price out a regulator and tank and include it in your considerations.

As far as the welder itself, it's barely adequate. Good enough for sheet metal, but it maxes out at around 1/8" thick (it'll do it but not well). I ended up upgrading to a miller (which came with a regulator). MUCH better welder. The most annoying thing about the HF unit was the duty cycle. It can only do about 5" of weld at high power before overheating and shutting down for a few minutes. It had a spot for a fan but no fan installed.. adding a fan would help.
tat2dphreak
they both say gasless... confused24.gif

if that's the case, maybe I'll check pawn shops for a better one... although sheet metal is all it would be used for...
stags14
I recently purchased the following welder from ebay and I love it:

Hobart Handler 180

I plan on slappin' together my new rotisserie next week with this baby! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

bondo
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 13 2005, 12:19 PM)
they both say gasless... confused24.gif

if that's the case, maybe I'll check pawn shops for a better one... although sheet metal is all it would be used for...

Mine was probably the second one then. It looked just like the first one, but had the capability of mig. It came with a little roll of flux core wire, which I never used. I just bought a regulator, tank and regular wire. Forget flux core, it's a joke.

In reality you can probably find a better welder used for the end cost of a new HF unit.. you just may have to wait for a deal.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bondo @ Apr 13 2005, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 13 2005, 12:19 PM)
they both say gasless...  :confused:

Mine was probably the second one then. It looked just like the first one, but had the capability of mig. It came with a little roll of flux core wire, which I never used. I just bought a regulator, tank and regular wire. Forget flux core, it's a joke.

In reality you can probably find a better welder used for the end cost of a new HF unit.. you just may have to wait for a deal.

why is flux core bad? I dunno about the space needed for a gas tank and all...

bondo
It can't make good welds in thin material. You get lots of imbedded flux and a weak joint. It works ok in situations where there's little chance of burn-through.. but not for sheet metal work. To make nice strong welds you need the gas.
Rand
There's no substitute for gas. MIG is so much nicer than flux core. This is a dilemna... for just a few more dollars than you want to spend, you can get something much nicer. Doh!

Every time I look at the cost to performance stuff again, I always end up at at least $500 for the best value.
tat2dphreak
maybe I'll look for a used one, or just rent a setup for a few days... and find someone who knows what they are doing...
Korijo
what are the differences between MIG & ARC welding?
dakotaewing
Wayne -
I have a HF 130 w/GAS and a brand new auto/mask...
I live in DeSoto now, but if you want to drive down on a Saturday...
My drive way is at least 10 times the size of the old one in Richardson -

Thom
TravisNeff
Arc welding does not use gas, so you use a flux coated rod. Generally ARC welding is for thicker metal, not for sheet metal. For very thick material ARC is king. MIG can be done with a flux cored wire, or solid wire and gas. Mig uses a gun that feeds the wire at a predefined speed, with ARC you control how fast or how much of the "stick" you put in the puddle. Of course there isn't one welder that does everything. Mig is fast and can cover a lot of materials, but has it's downfalls too. For automotive use, oxy acetalyne, mig, tig. You can get a converter for an ARC welder so you can do TIG. Mig can do aluminum with a special gun, ARC needs to be AC and DC capable, TIG can do it all, Oxy can mimick a lot of what TIG can do (differences of material).
tat2dphreak
I'll probably take you up on that Thom... I appreciate the offer!!!

until I get out of an APT. I can't justify the shop space for the tank and everything... I don't have much space as it is... and so far I only need to weld the 2-3 little spots... the PO really did a pretty good job, the battery tray and all other areas are clean, esp. for a Houston Car...

either that or I'll take the plunge get a better, gas setup and split the cost between some friends... only time and finances will tell...

I'm glad I asked here before buying though... I don't want crap welds on my chassis!

and a friend will be using the welder where welds will be seen(on a ghia's rockers)
airsix
Get a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart that is gas-ready and no less than 115 amp. I've got a Hobart 125 amp. It's some of the best money I've EVER spent. If you are any kind of DIY personality you WILL find other things to use it for beyond this current project.

-Ben M.
TravisNeff
I totally agree with Ben, the welder pays for itself on the first project or two. I'll take pics of my first project and post. And you will definately find more stuff to weld in the future, I even weld for therapy after a rough day, welding nothing in particular just scraps I have laying around.
tat2dphreak
I understand that... I used to arc weld a lot in HS, my dad had an ARC welder(Lincoln, I think) and there were always some ideas, and spare metal... a good practice/fun for me was to cut a piece of 2" Steel pipe, and a flat square piece... and try to weld a water-tight weld in 1 pass... good times! a great way to kill time in the shop...

I'm looking for a used setup to get better quality... I did some google searches, and everyone agrees... the flux core is fine for exhaust welds and pipe, and not much more... thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I get...

in the meantime, I will probably get with you, Thom and do it one of the nice weekends we've had...
i love porsche
i used all my graduatoin money and more on my welder this past summer, got a miller 135, runs on 110, a nice machine, the whole bundle with gas and all came to just under 1k, so, it was quite an investment, but im sure it will pay off, if it already hasnt..the only thing is that i seem to have a leaky tank...but thats my problem

but yeah, definetly go for a mig, the gas makes a difference like night and day
9144guy
went to school for 3 years in welding,done every type of welding possible.. .. well i have ran lasers waterjets plasmas exc...burned,welded,fabed you name it,,the welders that clam no gas--its flux-core .035 wire, makes an ugly ass weld spend the bucks and get a mig/w gass, ive tryed it ,.it sucks, ran one inch and went to get a bottle. you can weld every peice of metal on your car ( if you know how weld puddles cool and can control them). after all i weld on porsches all the time at work...what fun! welder.gif
mihai914
Everybody says buy the best welder you can afford and I think it's quite true.

Unfortunately there is alot of us who can't afford (for small work) a nice Miller, Hobart or Lincoln.

I am still very temted by this unit I saw at Wal-Mart the other day, it's MIG, you need a bottle but it has a regulator and hose but no gauges. It's $275 with a 5 year warranty made by Campbell Hausfeld, it's not a No-Name company but it ain't either one of the big ones in the welding equipment industry.

Maybe it will fit your budget, it would be fun for others to chime in with their opinion as I don't know for now if it's wortht the money or not, but it is another option.

bperry
Wayne,
If you are interested in learning to weld, and have some spare cash
($125) come join me in a welding class at Garland HS. There
is still room and it starts April 18th and meets monday evenings.

The guys at Garland Welding Supply recommended it.

Here's a good message board with tons of good information.

Hobart Forum

--- Bill
Verruckt
QUOTE (9144guy @ Apr 13 2005, 05:49 PM)
user posted image

Damn dude!! You need to warn people! My helmet is out in the garage... wacko.gif
MecGen
I have the biggest 110volt mig I coud find, 130 amp.
When I opened the shop it was barely anough, but works good when I was in my driveway.
In migs, I think, you have to look ahead and choose, you don't want to buy one and find out 1 year later, it not anough.
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif

PS mihai914, I will shoot you a quick pm, local boy.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bperry @ Apr 14 2005, 02:30 AM)
Wayne,
If you are interested in learning to weld, and have some spare cash
($125) come join me in a welding class at Garland HS. There
is still room and it starts April 18th and meets monday evenings.

The guys at Garland Welding Supply recommended it.

Here's a good message board with tons of good information.

Hobart Forum

--- Bill

I'm very interested! where do I sign up? friend of mine wants to as well...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.