Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help finding Door Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
Hi ... I have searched and scoured the www .
Looking for a Door Switch for a '73 All I keep finding is a 2 pole ... Mine is 4
Fairly sure I could just join the 4 to 2 ... but a 4 pole sure would be easier .

Any help ?
Thanks
914Sixer
I will send you one. Post shipping information.
Wyvern
^^^
Wow & thanks !
piratenanner.gif

I'll pm ya my address.

Carl456
Sorry for the hijack but,
Is it possible to use a 2 pin in the place of a 4?
Just originality at risk?
gothspeed
QUOTE(Carl456 @ Aug 19 2016, 05:12 PM) *

Sorry for the hijack but,
Is it possible to use a 2 pin in the place of a 4?
Just originality at risk?

I would like to know this info as well.

So far i figured the 4 pin switch:

Does the connection to ground for dome light on one pair of pins per switch.

The other pair of pins per switch connects Su in the blinker switch bundle to item 53. Does not connect to ground at all it seems. As far as i can tell, this pin pair is using a brn/blu wire for the circuit.

Does anyone know what this Su to 53 brn/blu wire circuit is for? Is it for the door buzzer or?
raynekat
Working....and the operative is "working"....4 pole switches are tough to find. I was given a number of them for free, and none worked.
I finally tracked down a set of vintage VW bus 4 pole switches on the The Samba that checked out functional.

Yes, it is possible to use a 2 pole instead of a 4 pole.
The 4 pole picks up both the interior light when the door is open along with the key left in the ignition buzzer when the door is open.
You can't have both (the interior light or the key buzzer) if you use the 2 pole switch.
You'll have to choose which function you want (interior light vs key buzzer) and track down which 2 (out of the 4) wires enable that particular function and connect them into your 2 pole switch.
The 2 unused wires would need to be taped off so they don't ground.

Clear?
You may want to peruse a wiring diagram to see how the 4 wires from the interior light and ignition key buzzer connect to the two 4 pin door switches.
gothspeed
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 28 2018, 08:43 PM) *

Working....and the operative is "working"....4 pole switches are tough to find. I was given a number of them for free, and none worked.
I finally tracked down a set of vintage VW bus 4 pole switches on the The Samba that checked out functional.

Yes, it is possible to use a 2 pole instead of a 4 pole.
The 4 pole picks up both the interior light when the door is open along with the key left in the ignition buzzer when the door is open.
You can't have both (the interior light or the key buzzer) if you use the 2 pole switch.
You'll have to choose which function you want (interior light vs key buzzer) and track down which 2 (out of the 4) wires enable that particular function and connect them into your 2 pole switch.
The 2 unused wires would need to be taped off so they don't ground.

Clear?
You may want to peruse a wiring diagram to see how the 4 wires from the interior light and ignition key buzzer connect to the two 4 pin door switches.
Fantastic explanation!! I have a few enlarged schematics and one that shows wire colors. Yes i figured how the dome light circuit/switches work. And you are right, they can be done with two pole switches or even single pole. As they only short the spade to ground.

Thank you for describing the second circuit as well. My schematics did not show what it was for. You saved me a ton of time!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.