Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simple Gas Gauge Question...and A DR.EVIL sighting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boldylocks
Whats up y'all.. well I had a Dr. Evil sighting last night. Actually met another board member and again, am amazed by the quality of genius that enjoys these cars so much.
For those of you who have never interacted or met Dr. Evil aka Mike, he's a down dude (note, I'm in full 1970's afro form so if I slip into 70's jargon, it'll be for a second, ya dig).

Now with that out of the way, I met with the Evil one to get some gauges because someone actually stole mine from inside the car... it was a rape, but Evil had the answer.

Now (again with the now) I've started to hook up the gas gauge and here is my question.. is it possible to hook up the gauge in a manner that is so incorrect that it constantly tells me either A) I have a full tank of gas, or cool.gif I dont have any gas at all? The old gauge worked so I know there shouldnt be any 'sender' issues (is that right? Solid Jack).

See, not really a big problem, I'm assuming someone can help me with an answer like "just reverse the wires"...

Next issue, Dr. Evil noticed that I will need a new driver side floor pan metal sheet welded into my car soon (I may have 12 months but I'm headed towards a$$ dragging on the ground).. I'll also post this query on the wanted/for sell area.

SO thats about it. Still a great board and I'm still thinking one day someone should get around the US and interview 914Club members because there is a documentary in this board waiting to be told.
lapuwali
Yes, it's possible to hook it up so it pegs at full or pegs at empty. If you hook it up so the gauge terminal is shorted to ground (0 ohms of resistance to ground), it will peg full. If it's connected to nothing (infinite ohms of resistance to ground), it will peg empty (well, it will float a bit).

The fuel level sender has two terminals, one for the gauge, the other for the light. The gauge sender is 0 ohms full, and about 90 ohms empty. The light sender is infinite ohms until nearly empty, then 0 ohms near empty. So, if you hook the gauge up to the light sender, it will peg empty until the tank is nearly empty, then it will peg full.

SirAndy
3 wires for the gauge ...

+ = 12V, red/white

- = ground, black

G = sender, green

cool.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
For shame, Aaahndy, for shame!! Ground in our cars is brown, not black! blink.gif

The black wire is for the low-fuel warning light. It is disconnected most of the time, but when you have very low fuel in the tank the black wire gets shorted to ground.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Apr 13 2005, 04:24 PM)
The black wire is for the low-fuel warning light.

brain-fart ... the wet one is right, ground wire is brown, black is for gas-idiot-light ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.