Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nurburgring Oldtimer GP 2016, We went there in our 911s, but this post is about 914s!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
23e Heure
It was the Oldtimer GP at the Nurburgring last weekend, and a few of us drove down for a few days of Eifel mountain road blatts, classic racing, Weissbier and Sauerkraut.

Rich and Stephen - in the Sepia Reaper - and Pete and Ian - in their Orange Peril - left from the UK on Thursday morning:

IPB Image

IPB Image

And I drove my green RS rep from my folks' place on the West coast of France, 650 miles East, thru Belgium and into Germany..:

IPB Image

...Stopping off at various motorsport landmarks on the way. All in one day I saw:

Hotel De France. Le Mans 24 Hrs lodgings of choice for all the big race teams in the 60s and 70s:

IPB Image

Autodrome De Linas-Montlhery, South of Paris:

IPB Image

Reims - Gueux, in the Champagne region of East France:

IPB Image

And our little convoy finally met up on Thursday afternoon, at a wet and rainy Spa Francorchamps in Belgium...:

IPB Image

IPB Image

...Before pressing on for the final 80 miles into Germany and to our lakeside campsite in the beautiful Eifel mountains:

IPB Image

Although a few of us had been to the 'ring before, this was our first Oldtimer GP, and we decided the best way to celebrate arriving was to get stuck in to some Weissbier:

IPB Image
23e Heure
Anyway, that's enough early 911 coverage. After all, this is a 914 forum biggrin.gif

So let me introduce one of our party, Stephen.

He owns an imported from Texas 914, in light ivory, which he is planning to convert to a GT rep, with 3.0 911 engine on PMOs.

And me: I own an imported from Texas 914, in light ivory, which I too am planning to convert to a GT styled car, on a 3.0 911 engine on Webers...

Although we had arrived in Germany on Thursday to drizzly weather, Friday dawned bright and sunny.

Which was just perfect for Stephen to test drive my 911 over the 20 miles of fantastic sweeping, undulating roads that separated the campsite from the Nurburgring GP circuit:

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
The obviously awesome location aside, the event itself is brilliant.

If any of you are lucky enough to have been to Le Mans Classic and teh Spa 6 hours historic events, the Oldtimer is somewhere half way between the two.

Like LMC it is pretty big (but not as crowded as LMC), lots of variety of marques represented, a bit corporate, modern spectator comforts.

And like Spa 6 Hours there is very close racing (with no big gaps between races like at LMC), more relaxed atmosphere than LMC, more open access to the cars and drivers in the paddocks, brilliant track for spectating.

But what sets it apart from the other european classic race weekend is the representation of Porsche as a marque.
It's almost like the Nurburgring is Porsche's spiritual home. Thousands and thousands of P-cars.

If you like 911s, this is clearly the place to be. We all agreed that we had never seen so many 911s in one place before...
If that is your bag, we posted scads of 911 shots over on DDK, and you can go soak them up over there: DDK Nurburgring Oldtimer 2016 thread

But this is the 914 forum, and that is what Stephen and I were most interested in, so here's a filtered view...:
23e Heure
914s were in short supply, despite orginal volume of production data...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
This GT was pretty tasty. Sadly not racing this weekend though:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
This GT rep was immaculate. Result of a 7 year restoration.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Interesting, flat undertray custom fabricated:

IPB Image

3 litre on Webers:

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
This was the only 914 we actually saw in motion on the open road!

IPB Image
23e Heure
Sticking with mid-engined Porsches, I know we all appreciate these...

We spotted 2 904s at the event.

This one was not racing, and we saw it out driving home on the public road on Saturday 8) :

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The banded rims it was wearing didn't look too neat / safe to our eyes!

IPB Image
23e Heure
This one on the other hand was racing:

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is one of the guys running the race team fielding this 904, the Coca-Cola 935, the white RSR with an arrow on its bonnet etc.

He's an ex Porsche factory rally co-driver, who kept us entertained for ages with stories from back in the day.

IPB Image
23e Heure
And avoiding 911 content again, how about Porsche's other models?

This year marks 40 years of the Porsche transaxle cars. Rather than lots of shots of 924s, 944s, 928s, etc....

We thought this car summed up Porsche's best effort in this category:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
And going a long way back in time, how about this. A factory built rep of a Type 64.

IPB Image

IPB Image

It might be a special museum piece, but Walter Rohrl had still somehow been allowed in there and scrawled his autograph on the glovebox lid!

IPB Image
Mueller
BEST POST of the day!

thank you!

Great pics and write-up.
Cracker
James - Thank you...appreciate any additional pictures you have of that GT!

Tony
Frankvw
nice pictures (and cars) and it looks like you guys had serious fun. This is a real cool post. Thanks.
(can I come with you guys next time ? :-))
Millerwelds
Thanks for sharing beerchug.gif
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2016, 06:52 AM) *

BEST POST of the day!

thank you!

Great pics and write-up.

+ 1, Porsche's are Porsche's, its good to see some others of the Breed.
Dion
Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Ferg
aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif Thanks for sharing!
SixerJ
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 18 2016, 03:22 PM) *

nice pictures (and cars) and it looks like you guys had serious fun. This is a real cool post. Thanks.
(can I come with you guys next time ? :-))

+ 1 and exactly what I was thinking.....its been too many years since Ive been to LM or LMC and those were getting way too F1 corporate for my taste even 10 years ago. Would have to take the 911 as the -6 is years away from being done. But I think I could slum it to a Euro classic race in the old girl and sup a beer or two
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
porbmw
You guys are having WAY too much fun
Very jealous, in a good way.
Thanks for sharing...
And very! nice early 11s!
Tom_T
Very cool James! piratenanner.gif

.... or as we used to say in Surf City back in the day - Bitchen! shades.gif

Thanx for sharing .... even the 911 pix too!

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
23e Heure
Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you like the trip, it's pleasure to share.

Since the 911s were not disapproved of, here are a selection of those...

There were short hoods:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

If we had a euro for every car we saw with this guy's autograph on it...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
There were long hoods:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
There were hot rods with interesting touches:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And cars that were not sure which camp they fitted into:

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
There were race 911s too:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
Of course, it wasn't all Porsche.

There were BMWs:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Mercedes (ostrich leather, doncha know):

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yes, Mercedes, kinda..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Erm... not 100% sure what we are looking at here!

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
Pantera:

IPB Image

IPB Image

This one won the big 70s sports car race on Saturday evening, beating all the 935s, M1s etc:

IPB Image
23e Heure
There were rally cars:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Loved this R5:

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
And of course there was racing. Of all classes.

Please excuse quality of the shots... I started on the beers around the same time we started watching the track action :drunken:

What I can say though is that I was very pleasntly surprised at how good the views are here on the GP circuit for spectators. Fab place to visit.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
23e Heure
Cars and racing is all well and good, but it is the company that makes trips like this special.

IPB Image

IPB Image
mlindner
Thanks James, great shots. Did you get to drive the Ring. Best, Mark
jrblackbox
Great pics from the homeland! Thanks for sharing!!
Vapor_locked
Great pics, and looks like an incredible journey & experience! thank you for sharing with us!

Just an FYI, the yellow & black De Tomaso is actually a mangusta - the predecessor of the pantera.
Shadowfax
Terrific photos. Thank you for sharing. Next time you are in the States, please swing by and photograph my cars biggrin.gif
Cracker
Absolutely stunning. Here is a video from the event you attended as well...great sounds!

Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOa3_cWvESQ

From Last Year - Lots of Porsche Clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS7IM0W1fZE

krazykonrad
Thanks for the post! beerchug.gif
2mAn
Bucket level stuff here... I love everything you posted. Thanks for sharing
23e Heure
I'm flattered by all the positive feedback: thanks guys.

Since so many of you enjoyed this one so much, I'm tempted to post a thread about our other trip this summer: that one was to Sicily to participate in the Giro Di Sicilia.

Interested? It will be a very long thread...

(I don't want to come off as a big fat show off, but am happy to share the adventures if there is interest)
Vapor_locked
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Aug 19 2016, 11:41 AM) *

I'm flattered by all the positive feedback: thanks guys.

Since so many of you enjoyed this one so much, I'm tempted to post a thread about our other trip this summer: that one was to Sicily to participate in the Giro Di Sicilia.

Interested? It will be a very long thread...

(I don't want to come off as a big fat show off, but am happy to share the adventures if there is interest)

Ooh, I'm up for that! that sounds very interesting!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.