Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reno Air Races soon!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Any 914World members going to this year's Reno Air Races? (Sept 15 to 18, if you don't know, you probably aren't going). I never miss em, like a moth to a flame! Anyone have access to good seats in a special section (or at least some shade) for 914World members? Anyone want to meet up Sat night (Grand Sierra?) for a drink? Any ideas? Or screw it? What say the forum???? beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
On my list of events to attend. Not this year, projects prohibit it. Would like to do the trip myself. It'd be a couple of fuel stops, but quite the adventure and longest cross country for me to date.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 18 2016, 12:23 PM) *

On my list of events to attend. Not this year, projects prohibit it. Would like to do the trip myself. It'd be a couple of fuel stops, but quite the adventure and longest cross country for me to date.

Will warn you, once you see this spectacle of extreme power, high risk, low altitude and high speed flying, you won't be able to stay away in the future!! Damn addicting!!!! Let me know if you ever decide to come and I'll show you the ropes and give you a few tips to really get the most out of the experience.
ConeDodger
Last time I went, the Galloping Ghost crashed, killing a pilot, 10 spectators an injuring 69 spectators. Within a minute, my pager went off. I was on call at the hospital.

Doesn't really interest me but I am local so if I'm not in Berkeley working the Grand Sierra is an option...
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 18 2016, 01:34 PM) *

Last time I went, the Galloping Ghost crashed, killing a pilot, 10 spectators an injuring 69 spectators. Within a minute, my pager went off. I was on call at the hospital.

Doesn't really interest me but I am local so if I'm not in Berkeley working the Grand Sierra is an option...

That was the one year I missed due to illness. When I returned the next year, I noticed several people in wheelchairs, and was told that they were injured in the Galloping Ghost crash and returned to the races again, not deterred. Very impressive!
ClayPerrine
Betty and I had tickets for the air races in 2001. We were supposed to fly out September 12th. Ended up driving all the way to Reno in a rent car. No racing. Ended up making a driving trip out of it. Reno to SFO, down the PCH to LA. LA to home via the Grand Canyon.

The honored the tickets the next year. Wonderful experience watching the unlimited racers go by.

I would go back, but I have had other priorities since then.

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 18 2016, 05:08 PM) *

Betty and I had tickets for the air races in 2001. We were supposed to fly out September 12th. Ended up driving all the way to Reno in a rent car. No racing. Ended up making a driving trip out of it. Reno to SFO, down the PCH to LA. LA to home via the Grand Canyon.

The honored the tickets the next year. Wonderful experience watching the unlimited racers go by.

I would go back, but I have had other priorities since then.

That was a sad year for the USA, and the Reno Airs too. Hope you get the chance to experience the Races again some day, one of the last great sporting spectacles!
Elliot Cannon
Def. on the "bucket list". My ex boss used to race a T6. I went to see her race at Mojave one year. She got me into the pits. Very cool.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 18 2016, 07:17 PM) *

Def. on the "bucket list". My ex boss used to race a T6. I went to see her race at Mojave one year. She got me into the pits. Very cool.

Don't wait too long, these races may not continue forever.
Mike Bellis
My buddy at work is a crew chief this year (and every previous year). I have to stay and work....
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 18 2016, 08:53 PM) *

My buddy at work is a crew chief this year (and every previous year). I have to stay and work....

Crew chief for what team? What's his name, I'll say hi!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 08:57 PM) *

Not sure what team. His name is Ed Dutreaux. Ex-racer. Everybody seems to know him.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 18 2016, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 18 2016, 08:57 PM) *

Not sure what team. His name is Ed Dutreaux. Ex-racer. Everybody seems to know him.

Thanks Mike. Any idea even what type of plane or race category??
larryM

Blue Angels are flying !!

http://airrace.org/ https://www.blueangels.navy.mil/show/

was considering going Saturday - but it's the same weekend as the Manx Club Topaz Lake event

decisions - decisions

Blue Angels are also flying
OCT 1-2
California Capital Air Show
Sacramento, CA

I 'll do one of the 2 shows for sure -

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 18 2016, 10:33 PM) *

Blue Angels are flying !!

http://airrace.org/ https://www.blueangels.navy.mil/show/

was considering going Saturday - but it's the same weekend as the Manx Club Topaz Lake event

decisions - decisions

Blue Angels are also flying
OCT 1-2
California Capital Air Show
Sacramento, CA

I 'll do one of the 2 shows for sure -

No slight to the Manx event, but the spectacle old war birds displaying unheard of power and speed, death defying, low altitude heat racing at 500 kts is hard to match anywhere on the PLANET!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.