Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car cover tips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pierre_vinty
Hi Everyone,

So I need a car cover for my 914 (1973).
Mostly to protect against the sun here in San Diego County. Anyone has a good experience with one they use? A good fit?

Thanks!
Toast
We need to do another run of the umbrella covers if he is still making them. Mine is destroyed being out here in Las Vegas. Anybody else interested?
pierre_vinty
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 18 2016, 01:35 PM) *

We need to do another run of the umbrella covers if he is still making them. Mine is destroyed being out here in Las Vegas. Anybody else interested?

Is it this company? http://www.the-cover-store.com/vehicle/car...orsche-914-Base looks like for $110 I could get a decent cover there. How long did yours last?
Cal
This Covercraft flannel cover has been on my car for over 10 years....the fit and finish is excellent. The only down side.....they're not cheap.

Chris Pincetich
You absolutely get what you pay for beerchug.gif
I've had several, and the CoverKing rules. It fits like a glove.
The cheap FLAPS or Kmart covers work, but they can blow off unless you take the time to buckle under both bumpers.
I had a DIY umbrella cover from a tent foot-print (light tarp, bungees at four corners) but that allowed everything else to get hot and dirty.

I use my 5-year old CoverKing for summer, and the newer one during winter beerchug.gif
After several years in the sun, the coating and seams on the CoverKing are no longer waterproof.
pierre_vinty
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Aug 18 2016, 03:35 PM) *

You absolutely get what you pay for beerchug.gif
I've had several, and the CoverKing rules. It fits like a glove.
The cheap FLAPS or Kmart covers work, but they can blow off unless you take the time to buckle under both bumpers.
I had a DIY umbrella cover from a tent foot-print (light tarp, bungees at four corners) but that allowed everything else to get hot and dirty.

I use my 5-year old CoverKing for summer, and the newer one during winter beerchug.gif
After several years in the sun, the coating and seams on the CoverKing are no longer waterproof.

Thanks I think I will go with the covercraft.
keely444
QUOTE(pierre_vinty @ Aug 18 2016, 01:31 PM) *

Hi Everyone,

So I need a car cover for my 914 (1973).
Mostly to protect against the sun here in San Diego County. Anyone has a good experience with one they use? A good fit?

Thanks!

How about a GT (flares) cover? Anybody know of anything that fits good?
SKL1
Not cheap, but the Porsche covers (got mine from Suncoast) fit great and have a nice big crest on the front making it easier to know which end is which when putting it on.
Jon Dugan

I'm interested in one for my '74 and emailed Perry Kiehl at kiehl@hotmail.com on the 9th but have no response yet... Anyone know another way to reach out to him?
Elliot Cannon
If you use a car cover outside and it gets windy and a little dust gets under the car cover it can potentially sand your paint down to bare metal. It happened to my friends vintage Benz. He wasn't happy. He cut up the car cover the threw it away. headbang.gif I wouldn't use one except indoors.
Cuda911
Another vote for Coverking. They are expensive, but worth it. They won't damage your paint, even in wind.

Last year I wanted to design and sell a lightweight waterproof nylon bikini cover, but it seems that I inadvertently stepped on Perry's toes, since he has been selling bikinis here for awhile.

If there are no objections, I would like to design and sell one here. What say you all?

Perry, if you read this thread and have objections, certainly I will defer to you if you would like to take this project on, since you were here before me.
larryM

I need a car cover for my 914 (1973).
Mostly to protect against the sun here in San Diego County.

check out Microbead select-fit outdoor/indoor - come with straps (for that windy worry)

http://www.microbeadcarcovers.com/select-fit-covers.html#

ultra-lite weight - cheap by comparison - they will send samples

i am going to buy one for an overnight outdoor cover when at shows & track -

(i have several of those heavy indoor covers - too bulky to haul around to events & don't protect from fog & dew)

second wind
QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 19 2016, 12:37 AM) *

I need a car cover for my 914 (1973).
Mostly to protect against the sun here in San Diego County.

check out Microbead select-fit outdoor/indoor - come with straps (for that windy worry)

http://www.microbeadcarcovers.com/select-fit-covers.html#

ultra-lite weight - cheap by comparison - they will send samples

i am going to buy one for an overnight outdoor cover when at shows & track -

(i have several of those heavy indoor covers - too bulky to haul around to events & don't protect from fog & dew)

I bought a California Car Cover for lots of money and it is amazing!! Perfect fit, ultimate material , well worth it. Unbelievable!!!!!
Toast
QUOTE(pierre_vinty @ Aug 18 2016, 01:40 PM) *

Is it this company? http://www.the-cover-store.com/vehicle/car...orsche-914-Base looks like for $110 I could get a decent cover there. How long did yours last?

I got mine from a production group run designed by Perry Kiehl. I have had two. Both have lasted about 6 years. My 914 has always been out in the elements, and I have lived in hot Riverside California and in Las Vegas. They stood up pretty well considering the temperature and wind and kept the rain out of the interior. first.gif

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 18 2016, 07:14 PM) *

If you use a car cover outside and it gets windy and a little dust gets under the car cover it can potentially sand your paint down to bare metal. It happened to my friends vintage Benz. He wasn't happy. He cut up the car cover the threw it away. headbang.gif I wouldn't use one except indoors.

I've seen the wind turn my unbrella cover into almost a parachute. While I can see how that can potentially happen, I have been fortunate for it to not do that. The only real place that I have paint that the umbrella cover covers is what encases the windshield and the areas that the bungees touch.
Wdunster
I use a factory outdoor cover for a Boxter. Fits really well. Much to the disliking of the Boxter guys.
porschetub
My first one a Coverking was eaten up buy the New Zealand sun and lasted just over a year,I don't fully blame the cover as it was in a windy spot,my second a cheap one of Ebay is starting to suffer the same fate and is about 8months old.
I don't think there is a cover made that will last a really long time in my situation.
I don't mind spending the money to protect my 914 so i'am not stressing about it.
Amphicar770
If you just want a generic cover then ebay works.

For best prices on beautifully made custom covers give Steve Behnke at Murphy's Motoring a call. I have bought 3-4 covers from them and have been extremely satisfied. I Have a red cover for the 914 that is sort of a soft spandex cotton which fits like a glove. Perfect for garage storage. Steve will let you know pros and cons of various options.

Steve Behnke" email is webtoes64@yahoo.com
I think this phone is current but not sure

(414) 529-8369
P.O. BOX 618
Greendale, Wisconsin 53129-0618

My only affiliation with them is as a satisfied customer.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I just sold the last one I had in stock. If I can get 10 committed buyers, I'll do another run right away. An extensive house project is eating all my time.

Sorry about your email Jon, I think I've got Outlook fixed now so all my 'world emails don't go in the wrong folder.

You can email me direct at: perry.kiehl@hotmail.com
Jon Dugan
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Aug 20 2016, 10:24 AM) *

I just sold the last one I had in stock. If I can get 10 committed buyers, I'll do another run right away. An extensive house project is eating all my time.

Sorry about your email Jon, I think I've got Outlook fixed now so all my 'world emails don't go in the wrong folder.

You can email me direct at: perry.kiehl@hotmail.com

I'll be number one.. Just need nine more... I'll keep checking this thread to see if we hit the mark... Thanks !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.