Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone own a Super Beetle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Yoei66
I'm considering a Super Beetle, as a more fuel efficient means of transport, when I'm not driving my 914. I currently have a SUV, which might jest stay parked this summer, is gas prices stay high. Anyone have A super Beetle? What kind of mileage per gallon do they get?
lapuwali
I think low 30s, but you should go ask on The Samba, which is where many of the Bug people hang out.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Apr 13 2005, 02:08 PM)
Anyone have A super Beetle? What kind of mileage per gallon do they get?

i had one that i put a 2.0L T4 in, but it started out as a stock 1600cc T1 ...

i was using between 9 and 11 Liter per 100km with the 1600 T1 ...
wink.gif Andy
Root_Werks
Depends, the FI Bugs might get you low 30's, the carb'd ones (stock) mid 20's. Supers are longer and heavier, so they use more gas in town. Even with the curved windshield, they are a brick traveling down the highway.

See if you can find a mid 70's standard bug that is still FI. They would be your best bet. Better yet, grab a Mexi bug, like a 95' for $1500, bring it up here, buy a junked out 68', swap tags and presto! You get like 35mpg and a 10 year old bug!

You can legally do it. The legal way is to take the body off and swap it onto a 68' pan. Customer of mine did that in 2003. He got one of the last batchs of bugs to roll out of Mexico. Grabbed a 68' pan, swapped all the stuff around, titled it as a 68' of course. It is a legal process. Sort of cool, stock disc brakes, brand new car smell, grey int, all crome black from the factory, painted headlight rings, FI engine. It is a sweet car. I think he paid $9k for the car and conversion to US 68' title. A new car for $9k is a dam good deal.

Here is a pic of it.
SirAndy
i guess i should probably convert that to mpgs for 'ya ... biggrin.gif

10 Liter per 100km = 2.64 gallons per 100km = 2.64 gallons per 62.15 miles =
23.54 miles per gallon

cool.gif Andy

PS: i was driving the car hard, so depending on your driving habits, you should be able to get closer to 30 mpg!
Yoei66
I already did the math, Thanks Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Apr 13 2005, 02:23 PM)
I already did the math, Thanks Andy

i miss that car ... wub.gif

Jake Raby
Check out this post...

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=86957

Thats a Super with a 50 MPG goal!

Been working on the combo for 3 months so far!

Anything over 30 from a stock engined Bug is very, very good.
ewdysar
I agree with Jake, better than 30 is not that common for a Bug. Not that it can't be done, there was a Ghia in Hawaii back in the mid eighties that was getting 50mpg, small displacement, long stroke, really heavy crank pulley.

That said, I had a 1990 Calif 1.0L Geo Metro, it got 50+ mpg all but 2 tanks for 130K miles. The 2 tanks were during a catalytic conv problem, car drove like crap, mileage dropped to 42. I knew there was somethng major going on... It drove better than my '58 bug, stronger over the Grapevine (Interstate 5 north from LA). The new Metro models lost mpg every year until it's demise... go figure.

I tried to buy a new TDI Jetta last year, was told "VW wouldn't bring 'em into CA any more, how about a GTI, you'll like that better..." headbang.gif

It's consumers, the populace, the car buying public that have done this to our choices. As a wise man once said, "I hate you guys, I'm going home."

Eric
Time to pick up my thirsty 914 from the shop...
jwalters
A 73 super was my very first car!!! Back when gas was only about 95 cents a gallon, I would put one dollar in the tank. I would then put about 40 miles on the car for that day, and repeat. Did that for over a year and never ever ran out. Stock 1600 with PICT34 carb. Man, those were the days idea.gif

Best off road vehicle ever, I knew every dirt road and cow path in my county---very rural with lots of hills and ruts--man, that was great times! aktion035.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (jwalters @ Apr 13 2005, 04:59 PM)
A 73 super was my very first car!!! Back when gas was only about 95 cents a gallon, I would put one dollar in the tank. I would then put about 40 miles on the car for that day, and repeat. Did that for over a year and never ever ran out. Stock 1600 with PICT34 carb. Man, those were the days idea.gif

Best off road vehicle ever, I knew every dirt road and cow path in my county---very rural with lots of hills and ruts--man, that was great times! aktion035.gif

smile.gif My first was a 72 standard with a rip snortin 1600! I dicked around with that thing damn near every day after school and had it taking 300z's off the line. ohmy.gif Until they hit 3rd sad.gif Ended up building my first show car out of that one and I still have it 16 years later:D One of these days I'll tear it all apart and rebuiold it now that I know what I'm doing. But for an 18 year old I built a 1st place car!! Never got less than 3rd at any show . Man I mioss those days sad.gif
jwalters
laugh.gif Love that avatar there Scotty--hehe
thomasotten
<---- gets 25mpg (turbo)
Jake Raby
But thats not a Bug...

Its got a damn radiator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.