Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AX Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tnorthern
I am dying to start Auto Crossing but I am not sure about how to get started. I joined PCA thinking there would be tons of events through them but there is one I think in my area. confused24.gif Instead of spending hours searching the 'net for info I thought I would throw myself on the mercy of the forum. I know a lot of you are in the SF Bay Area so any ideas on stuff around there or here (Sacramento) would be great. Thanks in advance.
lapuwali
The SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) is one place to look:

SCCA Sacto

The PCA is having something in early May in Stockton:

PCA SV

I know they used to run a good number of events at Mather, but it now looks like Stockton is favored. The SF region holds events in Alameda, which is only a couple of hours from Sacramento.

Brad Roberts
Easy.

Check every make model you can think of. Most of the Corvette groups will let you run... Audi groups... BMW groups... They are all looking to fill grids.

The next Sac event is May 8th. I dont belong to PCA.. but have been running their events for 10+ years.

Drive a little and come play with the Bay area folk. We drive to your events, you can drive to ours.

B
slapshot914
If ya want to make the run up the hill, Reno SCCA holds several AXs at the Stead airport. Check sccareno.com for info and schedules.
tnorthern
Thanks a lot guys! I have no problem driving to Bay Area I am in fact from the North Bay so it's no big deal. Now I need to get off my ass and do some research for what I'll need for events. Helmet would be a good start I suppose...
Brad Roberts
They have loaner helmets.

This weekend is a 2 day PCA zone event at the Santa Rosa airport. Pretty easy drive for you. I personally dont like the venue, but "others" rave about it.. (Trekkor) I dont like the fact that I can run a car off course and into the weeds. I wiped out a spolier there last time. It is also semi rough.

B
tnorthern
Hmm is that at the Charles Schultz airport? Santa Rosa is my home town, I need to think about how I can make this work for Saturday. I am gonna check the PCA site for more info, thanks Brad.
Part Pricer

The Novice Handbook will give you a good idea on what to expect.

Dave_Darling
Yeah, Schultz Airport. The entrance to the site is on the north side, off of Shilo Road.

All you need is a car in good working order. Make sure the battery is securely held down, make sure the wheel bearings aren't loose, make sure you can take all the crap out of the interior of the car. (Trust me, getting an oil bottle wedged in your pedals will not make you happy!!) Pack a lunch, pack a whole bunch of water, and pack your sunscreen and (maybe) rain gear.

As B said, loaner helmets should be available.

Look for 914s in the "parking" area when you get there. (I recommend getting there at ~8:30 AM or earlier.) You'll find most 914'ers are pretty friendly folks...

--DD
Trekkor
Here's the near complete Bay Area schedule.
a/x fantasy

Also, check the events calendar at the top of each 914club page.
I'll be updating each event with each PCA region's web link.
Under "Autocross Competition". wink.gif

Yes, I like SR Airport.

KT
Steve_7x
Sacramento Valley Region (see link above or derporsche.net) will be having it's next Autocross on May 8 (as stated above). Lots of intrstruction available and there are a fair amount of us 914 autocrossers that hail from the central valley. Loaner helmets are available, and Stockton is a short drive for those in Sac and for those in the east bay etc...

This weekends event (Stompin at the Schulz) will be a lot of fun. The weather should be okay and the site is very unique. Hope to see you and the others this weekend!

Cheers!
ConeDodger
I was going to go down and spend both days sleep at my sister and brother in laws vinyard/winery in Glen Ellen but now SIL is sick and in the hospital. I may still go down for Saturday or Sunday if you want to come down with me. I am in Fair Oaks.
tnorthern
Hey Robbie when are you heading out Saturday morning? I am thinking of leaving Elk Grove around 6:30 and picking up my dad in Santa Rosa by 8. Let me know what you want to do...
tnorthern
Last question and I will let this thread die a peaceful death... I want to pick up a helmet (the idea of sending my sweaty where another's sweaty head has gone before, does not appeal to me) what should I buy as far as Snell rating? Get an SA2000? Does it have to have a visor or can I go open face? This is my last question I swear... unless I think of something else that is wink.gif
Thanks again for all the great help!
tnorthern
Last question and I will let this thread die a peaceful death... I want to pick up a helmet (the idea of sending my sweaty where another's sweaty head has gone before, does not appeal to me) what should I buy as far as Snell rating? Get an SA2000? Does it have to have a visor or can I go open face? This is my last question I swear... unless I think of something else that is wink.gif
Thanks again for all the great help!
Steve_7x
Helmet...

Get the latest and newest Snell rating as possible. This way if you enjoy it you can do it for many years before you are obligated to replace your helmet.

Full face and shield are only required for cars without windshields (like mine - see avatar). Open face helmets are oka and easier to slip on if you wear glasses etc... Full face provides more protection - but it is rarely if ever needed (25 years at this - ouch!).

Tognotti's caries G-force and if I remember the price was reasonable. If you get a full face, you can remove the clear screen.... again that is more to keep bugs and such from getting into your eyes and teeth etc... ;-)

Hunt's on Sunrise carries Simpson, but that is more pricey...

Steve
Joe Ricard
My son just bought a SA2000 G-TECH nice light and he saiys it's comfy. about $149.00
SA 2000 helmets will get real cheap soon as 2005 rated helmet come out in October. Helmets last 10 years as rating goes. So if you find a screaming good deal on a 1995 model give it a pass you won't be legal long.

M rated helmets are usually OK for Autocross. I have a Scorpion full face $250.00 liner comes out for washing (nice feature) specially in Mississippi heat.
tnorthern
Sweet beer.gif Thanks guys, I am going to run to Tognotti's on my lunch I think. See you all in SR saturday!
ConeDodger
It looks as though I will be spending the night at the winery. I will be there on Saturday morning driving my Boxster with CONEDGR (cone dodger) plates. I know, I know, it isn't a 914. I just need to get the manifold pressure sensor installed so it runs right and put on the swaybars and such that I have gathered and it will be ready to go.
So if you see me chat me up... Last event I was one of the organizers so I didn't get to meet many people. This one I just have to pick my cones when I am not on my run group so I will have a bit more time.
Dave_Darling
M-rated helmets are plenty fine for autoXing. A cheapie Snell M2000 open-face helmet can be had for about $80, if you look.

--DD
tnorthern
I found one here in Sac at a motorcycle shop for $79 so I think I am in the right price range!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.