Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any bets on the condition of this long?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Looking at buying this one on the west coast. I've got someone lined up to do the PPI, but had the owner send me a bunch of pics beforehand. Not sure if they will let us remove the rocker covers. The car is otherwise immaculate inside and out.

Do you (also) see evidence of rusty longs here? Just shadows? Something else?

Appreciate your opinions...

Thanks!
Click to view attachment

another angle
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
If there is bad hell hole rust it's kinda everywhere under the battery. This looks ok from what I can tell.
The bottom of the door drain might be worth looking further into.
Mark Henry
The outer rockers aren't held in by much, if the seller isn't willing to take them off I'd walk.

BTW I can see that car is a colour change. It was yellow...and that heater hose is clothes dryer vent hose.
injunmort
30k all day long?
Chris914n6
Just for reference, this car is a product of selling pretty stromberg.gif. Only one pic near the bottom, of the "CAR IS SOLID,THE ONLY RUST ISSUE IT HAS IN THE PASSENGER REAR FLOOR MAN IS RUSTED OUT" lol-2.gif screwy.gif

1974 Porsche 914 PORSCHE 914 BLACK MANUAL GERMAN MID ENDING
Chris H.
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 18 2016, 09:16 PM) *

...and that heater hose is clothes dryer vent hose.

That drives me NUTS for some reason. barf.gif Ugh...to save $10? headbang.gif

At least get a peek under the rockers. Undo the screws at the bottom and he can pull them out enough to look under and get pics. They won't come off, no harm done at all.
iankarr
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 18 2016, 10:16 PM) *

The outer rockers aren't held in by much, if the seller isn't willing to take them off I'd walk.

BTW I can see that car is a colour change. It was yellow...and that heater hose is clothes dryer vent hose.

Thanks Mark. Yeah, there are a few strange things with this car. But it's the cancer that scares me. I'm spoiled with my (current) 73. It's an arizona / california car that had all rust issues fixed by the PO (I have pics) and it's super solid. I've got the fever bad and found this other one at a good price but def don't want to deal with hell hole issues.

The more I look at this pic, the more it looks like the rocker cover is bent or maybe rusted...maybe not the long. Agree that the PPI will have to include removing the rocker cover. Or at the very least, scoping inside there. Really appreciate your help.
Mikey914
The devil is in the details here. Look at all the little things missing or wrong. Wheel caps, wrong ones, cheap plastic. Carpet cheapest possible product. Windshield chrome, rubber.
Looks like a dealer polishing a turd. I get making choices that you want on your car, but these items were replaced very recently.
iankarr
Totally agree. That eBay car is a mess. Just to be clear...that's not the car I'm looking at. Not to say that mine won't have it's own messes. If the PPI happens I'll def post more pics!
r_towle
i dont like cars with crunchy looking rockers at the bottom where they meet the longs.
Especially OEM steel rockers that have never been removed...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.