Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: re: "914's are ugly" attitudes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryM

… as the Rumpled Horse said to the Velveteen Rabbit,

"You cant be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

colingreene
Or be like me and tell people I literally dont give two shits what they think.
Cuda911
Frankly, I have never heard anyone at all ever say that 914s are ugly. Quite the contrary. Most everyone seems to love 'em.
Frankvw
My wife hates the color, not thecar. She sais the brown makes it look like a pimp-car. No idea where that came from , I think of it as a compliment.

Other people that saw it since I got the 914 :
"oh...not a round one like 'normal' Porsches" (my mother)
"I have never seen one" or "you bought a Porsche ? Wow....a 911 ? No ? a 914 ? What is a 914?" (friends outside the VW hobby)
"Wow, great color !" (My neighbours wife)
"is this a Porsche ?" (family) I have no Porsche logo on the car, just the script on the enginelid that sais Porsche and is a must to proof to some people it is a Porsche :-)
Wdunster
When I first got my 914 21 years ago it was pretty bad. My sister said "it sure is little and it's ugly". So that is why we have called it "little ugly" ever since.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(colingreene @ Aug 19 2016, 01:55 AM) *

agree.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Aug 19 2016, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(colingreene @ Aug 19 2016, 01:55 AM) *

agree.gif

Click to view attachment

On the other hand, I do not disagree with you smile.gif (apologies for the double negative).
mepstein
My kids always call it a girly car.
JmuRiz
I think it's aged well (the small bumper versions) and love the function over form of it. Two trunks, tons of space for normal sized people, handles well and goes well with the right engine biggrin.gif
saigon71
I get the "what a cute car" from women quite a bit. dry.gif

JustinMeier
"And?" finger.gif
porschetub
One and one only person looked @ mine and said little so I could tell,then I showed her how practical it was for a sports car,changed things a bit.
Everyone else loves it.
IMO there is one view of the car that suits ME and a don't give a stuff what others say.
forrestkhaag
This babe walked up to me asked if i wanted to sell my ugly 914 a couple of weeks ago. Ladies of this caliber do not like or drive "ugly"......
forrestkhaag
And i took my sweet time telling her no.........
mbseto
All of the above...

There are prettier cars, but really the lines of the 914 are very nice. That continuous curve from the front turn signal to the taillight is well-drawn. Gets prettier every time I look at it.

If a person cannot appreciate that, then pity is what I feel.
r_towle
they are ugly, so what.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 19 2016, 01:25 PM) *

This babe walked up to me asked if i wanted to sell my ugly 914 a couple of weeks ago. Ladies of this caliber do not like or drive "ugly"......

Well no, but she may be from Santa Ana..
Ansbacher
The 914 is a Bauhaus lecture on wheels. 'Form follows function"; not fads, trends, or embarrassing attempts to be over the top, glitzy, or pimpish. The result is ingenious utility with esthetic beauty.

Ansbacher
TheCabinetmaker
I've heard square, cute, funny looking, weird little car, love your car, and "I used to have one of those " about a thousand times, but never ugly.
slotty008
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 19 2016, 11:31 PM) *

The 914 is a Bauhaus lecture on wheels. 'Form follows function"; not fads, trends, or embarrassing attempts to be over the top, glitzy, or pimpish. The result is ingenious utility with esthetic beauty.

Ansbacher

agree.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 19 2016, 05:31 PM) *

The 914 is a Bauhaus lecture on wheels.

That's so honest it hurts.
JPA914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 19 2016, 10:34 AM) *

I think it's aged well (the small bumper versions) and love the function over form of it. Two trunks, tons of space for normal sized people, handles well and goes well with the right engine biggrin.gif

agree.gif I've always liked the looks of this car, but it looks better to me with every passing year. I really think the car was ahead of it's time and didn't start to look "right" until years after it's introduction.
The area I have the biggest issue with visually is the front end. Although I think the early bumpers look the best, the rubber bumper top on a light colored car always looks like a mustache to me biggrin.gif Even then, it only bothers me from a few angles.
MegaLug
Always really liked the look of the Narrow body cars and now after seeing some more of the flaired versions, those are starting to look "normal" and appealing too.

Still not 100% on the look of the front with the headlights deployed.

arkitect
Many years ago didn't care so much for the look of them, it took a long time to really appreciate them. Now love the looks of the narrow body, add some fender flares and it adds the right amount of curves. biggrin.gif

Dave
forrestkhaag
Not too many Italians live in Santa Ana.........
evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.