Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust repair - thanks Tangerine Racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I picked it up yesterday from Chris Foley's shop (Tangerine racing) after rust repair work this summer- now on my way home , with a slight detour thru Hershey Pa and Fredrick, Md later - Beautiful weather last night to drive thru CT and NY/NJ - well was hot for a while on the stop go interstate traffic but it was a good test for the new oil cooler, and happy to report my temps never went over 220!! Before this it would have been pushing 240 in that situation or whe cruising interstate at 75-80 mph. Now, a steady 200-210 at those speeds piratenanner.gif
I will post some pictures of work that Chris took on my build thread later, but here is one of passenger long after some work.
Rust repair is not cheap or for the faint of heart! But to be done well and done correctly in the long run well worth it . I want to thank Chris and the guys for getting this done really rather quickly. Most of their work in the past month has been on my car- thanks guys!! beer3.gif
Cracker
Congrats! I saw your car shortly after it arrived at Chris's shop this Summer...I was impressed you drove it up from SC!!! Chris is quite the gentleman and well worth the effort. Enjoy and safe travels...

Tony
Cairo94507
Very nice looking work. I have always believed that you do it once and do it right. That way you hopefully never have to address it again.
Shadowfax
Awesome! Glad you were able to get that sorted.
iankarr
Congrats! I saw your car in the shop earlier this summer. It's come a long way. Another win for Tangerine racing...and us teeners.
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
porschetub
Did TR pump your your rear guards (fenders) out for you @ the same time? as per your signature pic?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 20 2016, 10:29 PM) *

Did TR pump your your rear guards (fenders) out for you @ the same time? as per your signature pic?

Yes, due to poor attempt to roll ther fenders they bent them, popped the edge out and were creased. So they replaced the lip, hammered out the fenders so the 7's won't rub- before I had to have the shocks put to the top level because they could not fit under the fenders.
Lots more to see. ...... - The goal was to keep the edge/lip with the stock profile, but pull the fender out just a bit more than stock, ended up about 3/4" . Still really close at the very back edge.
DRPHIL914
biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
sawzall-smiley.gif
billh1963
How's your trip back to SC going?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 21 2016, 02:52 PM) *

I got back at 10:30 this morning! Went well, stopped at the picknick yesterday, was cool to meet a few other 914 owners and put faces to the name.

I do have a weird hesitation or studder at 4-5000 rpm on hard acceleration. Not sure what the cause is- need to get that sorted out before Okteenefest. My fuel pump is making very loud noise too- but I really need to get it stripped down for paint now!
rhodyguy
Wow. You went deep on this one. Looks like the finished product is top shelve.
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 21 2016, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 21 2016, 02:52 PM) *

I got back at 10:30 this morning! Went well, stopped at the picknick yesterday, was cool to meet a few other 914 owners and put faces to the name.

I do have a weird hesitation or studder at 4-5000 rpm on hard acceleration. Not sure what the cause is- need to get that sorted out before Okteenefest. My fuel pump is making very loud noise too- but I really need to get it stripped down for paint now!

My fuel pump gave me an issue this morning as well. Driving along, engine lost power for a second then died. Strong smell of gas I pulled over to the side of the road. I think a hose came off or cracked. A small puddle formed then stopped so it must be downstream of the pump.

Took 3 hours from the time I called AAA until they got me back to my storage area. At least I had a cool old house to look at while I waited.

By the time I got back I was so hot, sweaty and disgusted I called it a day. Guess this week I'll be investigating! It's always something... dry.gif

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
Bummer Bill, that's why I took 2 extra maps, a fuel pump, hose, distributor, coil plugs and wires with me up and back- I have AAA but on this car I have Haggarty with roadside assistance- last time I called triple a I was on I26 heading home, about 5 miles from 95 when a tire in the truck blew. Took 3 hours , the guy came from over an hour away- had to be someone closer?!?! - - I should have done what I did the time before- not call AAA, I called someone close who took aaa then called aaa to let them know- he was there in 20 minutes.
-
Roadguy, the went as deep as the had to go to get past the rust to solid metal. I have more picture I will post but the uploader for some reason does not like it coming from the iPhone.
- basically replaced everything under the Jack points, the outer linings and side Jack points, rear floor pan, and that passenger inner wheelhouse part- but it was not as bad as I thought it might be- also had to replace part of the pedal area under cluster- oh, AND no wonder the pedals felt like they were binding , the cluster was missing the bushings! So they rebuilt that and with the new cables I had put in it he accelerator is so smooth now, like new- ANA they cleans up the surface rust on the original battery tray that is in surprisingly good condition, then put the j-west hinges on for the rear trunk lid!
I should be putting all this in my build thread-
I can say while I have not done a lot of welding , enough to know how hard it is to make it look like new or better- now one will look at it and say they could do better!!

Mblizzard
Nicely done!
billh1963
When is paint? Done by Okteenerfest?
billh1963
I agree about carrying parts! The bad thing about the 911 is the fuel pump is under a plate that is held on by two nuts and two Allen head bolts ( shared by the roll bar). Then, once you get the plate off the fuel pump is nestled up behind the fuel tank. Without the right tools and some jack stands a road side repair wasn't happening.
DRPHIL914
Supposed to go to paint next week Monday . Between prep and paint about 2 weeks- hoping it's done on time yes!
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 21 2016, 08:58 PM) *

Supposed to go to paint next week Monday . Between prep and paint about 2 weeks- hoping it's done on time yes!

driving.gif piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
Vysoc
Looks great Dr. Phil,

Congrats on the work done, get her prepped for paint!
I will not see you at the O-Fest, this year but I should be moved up in that direction in the near future.

Keep Going you have momentum on your side now!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Aug 22 2016, 08:42 AM) *

Looks great Dr. Phil,

Congrats on the work done, get her prepped for paint!
I will not see you at the O-Fest, this year but I should be moved up in that direction in the near future.

Keep Going you have momentum on your side now!!!

Vysoc flag.gif

sorry to hear that, I thought you were planning on being there! I know you sold the white car and have been working ont he other one but you can come in a non-914 you know!! - btw where you moving to? Beach or mountain?
DRPHIL914
Rust barf.gif
Vysoc
MOUNTAIN...the heat & Humidity have gotten to me!

By the way the picture Above this is exactly what I am dealing with just a little less rust...not fun!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Aug 22 2016, 10:40 AM) *

MOUNTAIN...the heat & Humidity have gotten to me!

By the way the picture Above this is exactly what I am dealing with just a little less rust...not fun!!!

Vysoc flag.gif

Well if you get a new golf pro gif up in the mountains let me know where, I need a good place to go to cool off in the summer and play. Hope it works out for you! I sometimes wish I could get my wife to consider a move we both hate the humidity and mold, mildew etc,
Now , get back to work on that car!
DRPHIL914
Completed Jack point!
DRPHIL914
Floor!
DRPHIL914
New floorz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.